Where They Stand On ... Veterans

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Chicago Tribune
June 6, 2008
Barack Obama: Voted for a recent GI Bill provision to upgrade tuition assistance for veterans—a measure opposed by the Bush administration and John McCain. Pledges that if he is elected, the Veterans Affairs Department will be "at the cutting edge of my plan for universal health care, with better preventive care, more research and specialty treatment, and more veterans centers, particularly in rural areas." Promises to improve veterans' access to mental health care and step up efforts to keep them from becoming homeless. Serves on the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee. Did not serve in the military.
John McCain: Did not vote on revised GI Bill to improve tuition benefits, but said he opposed it because it was too costly and would encourage members of the military not to re-enlist, weakening America's already stretched defense forces. Answered criticism by Obama, who voted for the GI Bill upgrade, by saying: "I will not accept from Sen. Obama, who did not feel it was his responsibility to serve our country in uniform, any lectures on my regard for those who did." Cites his long-term efforts for veterans, including support for tax breaks to help buy health insurance. Says role of reserve forces has changed in recent years, and their benefits should change as well. Served as co-chairman of a task force on treatment of Gulf War veterans. Suffered torture as prisoner of war for more than five years in Vietnam.

Back