Where is Iraq?

Latest survey coducted in the US concludes that 6 in 10 Americans don't know where to locate Iraq on a map of the world.

We are in good hands!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow I'm not very surprised. A large majority of Americans are uneducated and not quite bright. I know because, well, I went to school with them. The one fear I have of my country tis of thee is that Americans might become too arrogant and one day lose their place as the lone superpower in the world because they were blinded by pride.

Lord Londonderry said:
Latest survey coducted in the US concludes that 6 in 10 Americans don't know where to locate Iraq on a map of the world.

We are in good hands!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunatly this goes not only for the Yankees. I taught geography (I recently switched job) and came to the conclusion that topography is a rare trait. Last year a tv host went to a popular location in Spain and asked the Dutch people, who spent their holidays there, where they were. Most of them could not pinpoint Spain and disturbingly many didn't have a clue where Spain was in Europe... not even close.

So it is wide spread and this is just the beginning.

No source, just a claim and a parting smartass shot. I'm gonna have to give this one the :spam: award!

Not even worth a serious reply.

PJ24 said:
No source, just a claim and a parting smartass shot. I'm gonna have to give this one the :spam: award!

Not even worth a serious reply.

Iraq's location is mystery to young Americans

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Associated Press in Washington
Wednesday May 3, 2006

[/FONT]
Even though their country has been at war there for three years, six in 10 young Americans were unable to locate Iraq on a map of the world, a survey found.
They did little better at home: despite the coverage of Hurricane Katrina, nearly one-third of 18- to 24-year-olds could not locate Louisiana, according to a Roper poll for National Geographic. Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news while just 14% believe speaking another language is a necessary skill. The poll kickstarts a five-year National Geographic push to improve geographic literacy.
Guardian

Google Related

They keep coming with this BS, they just keep coming.
It is an extremely common cliché in old envious Europe that the Americans are ignorant and would not be able to find a country on a map.
I would really like to see how many Europeans would be able to find Hungary or tell Lithuania from Belarus or Bosnia from Croatia or Belgium from the Netherlands or how many of them would with no doubt find Slovenia on a mute map of Europe.
Let alone rest of the world.
I believe out of 100 Europeans barely 15 % would be able to find Iraq on a mute map of the world.
So please.

Italian Guy said:
They keep coming with this BS, they just keep coming.
It is an extremely common cliché in old envious Europe that the Americans are ignorant and would not be able to find a country on a map.
I would really like to see how many Europeans would be able to find Hungary or tell Lithuania from Belarus or Bosnia from Croatia or Belgium from the Netherlands or how many of them would with no doubt find Slovenia on a mute map of Europe.
Let alone rest of the world.
I believe out of 100 Europeans barely 15 % would be able to find Iraq on a mute map of the world.
So please.

Al-Associated Press getting desperate?

Ask any Canadian who is their Governor General and you'll be surprised to see a few may be able to name her...

Right. Come on I love Canada but yeah when I was there my girlfriend's family were 1.mom Teacher and 2. son and daughter with a degree. And still they were shocked to hear we have blond people in Italy. So much for ignorance around the world.

Italian Guy said:
Right. Come on I love Canada but yeah when I was there my girlfriend's family were 1.mom Teacher and 2. son and daughter with a degree. And still they were shocked to hear we have blond people in Italy. So much for ignorance around the world.

LoL

May be because there is NO blonde italian in Canada

hehehehehe

</jk>

So, I guess a good summary of the responses to this topic is: every country has a portion of its population that cannot pinpoint where x country is. I guess topography and geography is a trait. Just like math!

IT is very commen if most the commen Americans do not know where Iraq is.I think the same happens in China.Or at least we can think in this way:they need not to know where Iraq is ,cause GPS can tell them where Iraq is,or the missiles can know Where Iraq is,the satellite can tell them.

yingying said:
IT is very commen if most the commen Americans do not know where Iraq is.I think the same happens in China.Or at least we can think in this way:they need not to know where Iraq is ,cause GPS can tell them where Iraq is,or the missiles can know Where Iraq is,the satellite can tell them.

I don't think it's localized to just Americans or Chinese; it's just a people trait. Some people do not retain certain knowledge as well as others. Considering geography is not as widely used in everyday life as say... language, then people tend to forget. I'm pretty sure everyone here has stared at the global maps in your elementary or high school classes only to forget it a few months later. I'm pretty sure if you go around and ask people what Descartes Rule is or draw out Pascal's Triangle, they wouldn't know even though they most likely learned it in middle school. Some of my friends still get freaked when they drink water and I tell them, "Stop! You're drinking dihydrogen oxide!!"

You are so right.It is the trait of the human being.The law adapts to all the inhabitants of the globe,especially me.I think you are the exceptional one,and you are the outsider just like the Alien from MARS who observe us here .

Its not confined to any group, the high school kids I tutor are Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, Thai, Indonesian and 90% can't find China on the map and THEY ARE IN IT. I am appalled and astounded.

bulldogg said:
Its not confined to any group, the high school kids I tutor are Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, Thai, Indonesian and 90% can't find China on the map and THEY ARE IN IT. I am appalled and astounded.
:bang: :bang:
Just the pity of the education system. I am sure they do not know others especially the countries (such as countries in American continant)who are far from them,since they can not know the things which are near from them,Right?

Back