Where is Iraq?

Maybe we can start a thread on scores, because we all seem to be geographical geniusses. How does that sounds gents?

Bollocks, I can't seem to copy-paste the scores!! So how can we keep this genuine?

By the way: European Capitals-level 4; 45/45 100%, 188 sec. Sorry guys... make that 132 sec!! :)

Last edited:
heh, interesting site huh? Well Cooler, tell them how good I am, cmon! 8)

Anyway, its interesting to see that there are some people who are completely ignorant. Its not just in America, but it seems to be increasing in America. And its true, increased arrogance and ignorance is surely not wanted.
What also bothers is that most of the Americans were immigrants from Europe, Africa and Asia, and they might know the nation their forefathers came from, but they might also fail to know anything about it or where it is located.. You get me here? its a bit shamefull ..

It was a bit shocking really.. I dont know about the rest or the world, bit I for one, spent most of my earlier days just reading and reading maps. Looking at them exesively, seeing each nation, looking at their capitals and their flags. Unfortunately, I have stopped, buit fortunately, my memory does not fail me :)
I just found it interesting to know more, to gain knowledge however it is, and most important, it was something I liked.. It also is a kind of way showing respect to other nations. A way of opening ur mind and self to the world we live in..

Hey smart guys, I knew the capitals, falgs, and locations of Madagascar and Mongolia when I was just 11 or 12 yrs old, beat that? ;) 8)

It seem that you are the boy of KNOWLEDGE Mightymecbeth.But we live in a so complex world.I do know that the time a man can read the moment he begin to be annoyed by other exterior things. In a sense ,living in the ignorant situation means enjoying the simple innocent life.

Last edited:
Ted said:
Unfortunatly this goes not only for the Yankees. I taught geography (I recently switched job) and came to the conclusion that topography is a rare trait. Last year a tv host went to a popular location in Spain and asked the Dutch people, who spent their holidays there, where they were. Most of them could not pinpoint Spain and disturbingly many didn't have a clue where Spain was in Europe... not even close.

So it is wide spread and this is just the beginning.
Yeah, I was on sume club holiday on the Greek island of Kos a few years ago and a German guy I met there said he was in a similar club in Fuerte Ventura the other year, which I knew was part of Spain but didn't know exactly what part. He didn't know either and I only later found out that it was one of the Canary islands all the way out in the Atlantic! And he didn't seem to have known that.

A few months ago there was some program on french-german tvstation arte where they asked french people what countries border to Germany and vice versa. It was really funny because they showed a map of Europe and highlighted the countries mentioned. Hardly anyone did all correct and there where some french that believed Germany bordered on Russia and some germans that thought France and UK had a common border, France borders on Sweden and so forth.

loki said:
A few months ago there was some program on french-german tvstation arte where they asked french people what countries border to Germany and vice versa. It was really funny because they showed a map of Europe and highlighted the countries mentioned. Hardly anyone did all correct and there where some french that believed Germany bordered on Russia and some germans that thought France and UK had a common border, France borders on Sweden and so forth.
Thank you Loki. The last dozen of posts have confirmed my opinion.

IG said:
They keep coming with this BS, they just keep coming.
It is an extremely common cliché in old envious Europe that the Americans are ignorant and would not be able to find a country on a map.
I would really like to see how many Europeans would be able to find Hungary or tell Lithuania from Belarus or Bosnia from Croatia or Belgium from the Netherlands or how many of them would with no doubt find Slovenia on a mute map of Europe.
Let alone rest of the world.
I believe out of 100 Europeans barely 15 % would be able to find Iraq on a mute map of the world.
So please.

Last edited:
its strange..
sometimes they know the contry, but not really the location.. Like they know "Koweit" but not where it is heh.. French people that is..

Italian Guy said:
You should tell your friend there is a tiny little country called Canada between Alaska and the Atlantic :lol:
Plus, it'd be so fun to take him on a cruise in Italy from Naples to Tehran :)

I hope to get him the next year - I am planning to run the Marathon in Naples next year and do some cruise after that(with stop in Venice, of course!:drunkb: ).
I don't think that Tehran has a sea port, though:CG:

My scores, 16 year old American.

Trial: 1
Region Name: All Europe
Score: 32/45
% Correct: 71%
Time: 134 seconds
Comment: Yugoslavia area really screwed me, everything else was perfect.

Region Name: Middle East, All regions
Score: 13/17
% Correct: 76%
Time: 45 seconds
Comment: Yes, I knew where Iraq was. I only missed the southeastern ones.

Region Name: All Asia
Score: 19/32
% Correct: 59%
Time: 103 seconds
Comment: I got all the important countries right. The stuff in the middle and west, I never even tried to learn.

MightyMacbeth said:
its strange..
sometimes they know the contry, but not really the location.. Like they know "Koweit" but not where it is heh.. French people that is..
Hmm Kuwait, or Q8. That's where those gas stations were from. That's probably in Texas, right? :p It all makes sense now. Saddam invaded Bush's home state, so he had to get him back!

When my cousin was on a 14-day exchange to a town near Indianapolis his "foster father" said he wouldn't let his daughter go on a corresponding exchange to Germany because it's adjacent to the volatile country of Pakistan :D

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
When my cousin was on a 14-day exchange to a town near Indianapolis his "foster father" said he wouldn't let his daughter go on a corresponding exchange to Germany because it's adjacent to the volatile country of Pakistan :D

You are joking right?

I did see a very funny video interviewing Americans at Venice Beach about where to invade next.
On the list were France, Italy, one guy said Australia (because we are a nuclear threat apparently).
Another guy was asked to pinpoint North Korea on a map when he said it should be invaded. He stuck the pin in Australia. He then went on to say he didn't realise how much bigger North Korea was than South Korea (he was looking at Tasmania... a small island off the south coast of Australia for those who don't know).

But to conclude my little rave there I found it a wonderful laugh, but it's also very, very worrying.

As for source... I believe it was The Chaser.

Charge 7 said:
Where is Iraq? Just below Irchin.

(Charge 7 ducks)
:hide:
HA!

But may I ask How big is Iraq?
:camo:

And Nick, be sure to keep your head down, we'll be invading North Korea any day now from Tasmania.
:)

Whats really funny is that show that comes on American TV every once in a while called "Street Smarts." They go around and pick random people to ask questions and then contestants have to guess who got the answer right...funny stuff there.

Back