Where can I turn to buy a military Hummer

WarCell

I have been hearing that military hummers are not being sold these days.
Will a civilian be able to buy one? Would i have to be in the military to get one? I love hummers, expecially the military models. Witch I am planning to buy one for personal use, not for everyday, but something like a secondary vehicle.

If you are an American I am pretty sure you can't buy one. They are not allowed to be sold to civilians in the USA. They are not allowed to be on US roads as a civilian car. They are not safe enough. :)

military Humvees differ from the HUMMER (H1 not H2) in only a couple of aspects. things like:

leather interior vs. canvas
glossy paint vs. flat
colors vs. green
some lighting upgrades
stereo upgrades
air conditioning
optional gas engines
no fiberglass 'slant back' hatch

ive seen ex-marine humvees for sale 'as-is' for about $30 grand here in michigan. the new civilian Hummers (H1 not the H2) run about 3-5 times that depending on options...

david

WarCell said:
I have been hearing that military hummers are not being sold these days.
Will a civilian be able to buy one? Would i have to be in the military to get one? I love hummers, expecially the military models. Witch I am planning to buy one for personal use, not for everyday, but something like a secondary vehicle.

maybe from the military?

egoz...

yes you are right but based on the question in the first post, it certainly sounded like the posted didnt know squat about them...

i dont know, maybe it was the part about joining the military would give him the opportunity to buy a military Humvee for a second vehicle...

david

I found a restored ex-desert storm humvee for $80,000 AUD here in South Australia. It had been completely stripped and restored, engine rebuilt, all mil-spec gear. Everything taken into account, $80grand isn't too bad here in Aus for a car like that, since you might pay up to $50,000 for a top of the range toyota hilux.

ltdave said:
egoz...

yes you are right but based on the question in the first post, it certainly sounded like the posted didnt know squat about them...

i dont know, maybe it was the part about joining the military would give him the opportunity to buy a military Humvee for a second vehicle...

david

i didn't mean to undermine you, i just wanted to point out the differences for those a little more aware or curious.

i don't know if i could handle a hummer, i could probably settle for something like a Land Rover Defender because it'll be more practical for civilian use.

the first place I would look would be the nearest DRMO http://www.drms.dla.mil/ at a large Army facility. I know you can get the 1002's and 1024's (Blazer/Pick Up...did I get those numbers right?) there...DRMO sells as is and you have to be able to drive, push, pull, tow, carry the item away immidiately. lots of things are sold by lot and via auction.

Call them and ask them about it and their policies.

that's an idea...but then you would have to remove the leather seats, carpet, headliner, door panels, etc...strip the paint and paint it with CARC, and remove the dash and all the cool doo-dads...

Actually, if you are gonna buy the vehicle for hunting and such, you should look into buying a used civilian HUMMER...have you ever sat in a HUMWV in cold wet weather? Hint: you get cold and wet.

:D

You as a civilian are authorized to buy and drive a military HMMWV with a few modifications. You can purchase the vehicle through a military auction. You can also purchase the 2 1/2 trucks and 5 ton trucks that the military uses. I'm guessing that soon the LMTV will also be available for purchase. Keep one thing in mind however. You will need a LOT of money to make any of these purchases. When you receive the vehicles they will be stripped. No engine no brake system pretty much all you are buying is the frame and body the rest is up to you as to what you would like to do with the vehicle.

The military is not going to just sell you a perfectly good vehicle they are going to take everything that is good on the vehicle off for the repairs of the salvageable vehicles. This is the reason you will not find one in working condition unless an extreme overhaul was conducted. you can (after a bit of research) find them with the engine and brake system but they probably don't work.

Back