Where was this in 2001?

Damien435

Ok, after 9/11 I remember the week of no sports in America, I remember football field sized American flags when football finally resumed, and I remember Bush throwing out the first pitch in New York. What I don't remember are heart stopping, make grown men cry stirring renditions of the Star-Spangled Banner like The NHL All-Star Game or much more famously Whitney Houston's Performance at Superbowl XXV. Am I just suffering from memory loss or was the remembrance after 9/11 more about the largest flag (didn't the Bears have one that was slightly larger than 90 yards across?) than the best performance of the National Anthem? Does anybody remember any performance of the anthem that sticks out in their mind? And I guess while we're at it, what's your favorite performance of the Star-Spangled Banner?

Every time for me.

Yes to the Hendrix, but I am not usually too keen on other celebrity bandwagonning. It's the anthem itself, and too important to be trifled with. It's ALL about the flag, not the voice. Publically, I like it sung straight.

Last edited:
What angers me is the replacement of "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" with "God Bless America". There are few thinks more American than baseball, and we are going to show that this event did not change us by changing America's pastime.

I know some parks still do it, but it's always accompanied by "God Bless America." I hate it.

every time it is sung

I can't agree, everybody who sings it these days wants to put their own twist on it. Just sing the song the ways it's written. I forgot who it was, but it was a hip-hop artist singing the Anthem like it was a ****ing R. Kelly remake or something.

I do agree about Take Me Out to the Ballgame being replaced. Baseball is the national past-time, Take Me Out to the Ballgame is patriotic on its own and a symbol of America at this point, if not abroad then at least at home.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to bring up Rosanne Barr and Carl Lewis on this one.

I was gonna make a comment, but I think its already been addressed :)

I think the US National Anthem should be sang EXACTLY like it was written, in ENGLISH, and not modified in ANY way. Of course I believe the same should go for everybody else's too.

I was gonna make a comment, but I think its already been addressed :)

I think the US National Anthem should be sang EXACTLY like it was written, in ENGLISH, and not modified in ANY way. Of course I believe the same should go for everybody else's too.

so you're not a fan of the National Anthem in Borat?

i used to think the same about mine

till i heard it in maori

i used to think the same about mine

till i heard it in maori

Yes however if you watch the national sports teams in action the Maori half of the anthem is a confused mess but they all know the English version and I would suspect that this is indicative of the country as a whole.

I like the current dual language approach though it livens it up a bit.

On the whole though no one does a national anthem like the French.

As for the American one given that its not mine I will go for the Hendrix version although Lucy Lawless managed a version that was an eye opener.

:)

Back