When did the US leave Vietman?

Brutus

Hi,
My first post here.
I know the US left Vietnam in 1973 and the South Vietnam fell in 1973. However I curious at a comment made on the following site.
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/154687

Comment made by Robo
"1973 is not entirely true, there were a couple of non confrontational Ops staged immediately post 1975 fall."

And this comment made by Billyj57 "There was a group of us { 45 } men hand picked to stay and do recon to find missing soldiers, We found 37 buried, 14 who was found in Cambodia living and was so twisted that they refused to come back, March of 75 we were forced to give up and evac. It was not by are choice, The orders came down from D.C. Out of the 45 men we lost 19 in firefights along the borders."

My question is, did the US really have any armed combat troops in Vietnam after the fall of the South? I can't find any reliable sources online.

Thanks

I think the last Australian troops left in 1975 as well.
I think the very last to leave were I think, seven RAAF Airfield Defence Guards.

I think the last Australian troops left in 1975 as well.
I think the very last to leave were I think, seven RAAF Airfield Defence Guards.

Actually, I think (from memory) there were only 4. With one or two pistols and a handful of rounds. Left behind while their C130 flew the Ambassador's furniture down to Malaysia. By the time it got back to collect them, the NVA were coming through the airport fences. As I recall the story, the NVA were waving goodbye (instead of shooting) as the Herc took off. This was from one of the blokes who was there.

Back