When did this happen?

Damien435

Right now when I visit these forums I get the opinion (and probably help to spread this view) that the United States and China have been fighting each oter in on again off again wars for centuries, which is kind of true (Korea and Vietnam) but for a time during the 70's and 80's it looked like the United States and China were on the path towards becoming allies. So what happened? Why did it happen? Why did it happen? How did it happen? Who was involved?

Intelligent responses only please.

First of all China and the United States never did fight against one another for centuries. The first time where when United States occupied China was during the 1890's after quelling the Boxer Rebellion. China and the US did became allies during the Second World War while China was divided by warlords and two dominant political parties, the Nationalists and Communist Party.

So what happened?

The Sino-Soviet Split. Ever since Krushschev came into Office, ideas and interpretations over Communism clashed between the Soviets and the Chinese. The Chinese were furious that more aide were given to non-communist nations (India) and equipment used during the Korean War had to be repaid. During the 1960's, the split grew even worst resulting in a border war. Soviet missiles and large divisions were targeted against China given a possibility that Soviet Invasion is very likely. During the 1970's and 80's, in retaliation, China have invaded Vietnam, one of the Soviet Union's closest allies in the Far East.

Why did it happen?
The Cold War was a prime example of the two dominant nations forming strategic blocs and forming military alliances for its own. The enemy of my enemy is a friend. During this period, both the USSR and USA adopted a Neo-realist theory by supporting an Arms Race and establishing better relations with allies and possible allies.

How did it happen?
During the Nixon Administration, secret comminiques between the China and the United States indicated that relations can be opened up again. SoS Henry Kissinger was sent to Beijing secretly during 1971. By 1972, Nixon made an historic visit to China (probably one of the first most important step of dismantling the Soviet Union) therefore normalising relations between China and the United States. The Ping-Pong diplomacy was well famed of re-establishing better ties between the US and China. Afterwards, China adapted to an Open Door policy.

Who was involved?

President Richard Nixon, Secratary of State Henry Kissinger, Chairman Mao Zheng Dong, Premiere Zhou Enlai.

Whew. I had to look back at my Modern China History Paper I've written many years ago.

Sino-American relations are complex therefore both nations are not allies although China does support America's war on Terror and does perform military exercises with the US as well.

A Century is a long time, and China and the United States were allies in World War II.

China and the US are Trading Partners, Politicians know where there is money to be made, and China has a nearly unbelievable Military in size, and near limitless replacements for Military Service.

Cabal, I know the United States and China have not been fighting for centuries, I was merely stating that everyone on these forums talks about war between the US and China as inevitable and acts like the two nations have been going at each other's throats for years. Now you told me why China and the United States ended their years of harsh diplomacy with on another, but you did not say anything about why the United States and China seem to be drifting apart.

Gator, the United States still spends over ten times as much on our military annualy as compared to China (we also spend more than the 2-15th ranked nations based on annual military expenditures). China's military will be relatively impotent outside of China. Their main longterm goal is re-unification with Taiwan, they don't even have that capability at this time.

Gator, the United States still spends over ten times as much on our military annualy as compared to China (we also spend more than the 2-15th ranked nations based on annual military expenditures). China's military will be relatively impotent outside of China. Their main longterm goal is re-unification with Taiwan, they don't even have that capability at this time.

Taiwan, being part of China, is not outside of China's area of operations, and checking my map, the Island of Taiwan is not all that far off the coast of Mainland China.
China can take Taiwan back whenever China chooses to, Taiwan can do nothing from stopping China's eventual victory.
China has enough Surface Combatants and Ships which can be used as landing craft to go that short distance, and China outguns, either by technology, or by sheer number anything Taiwan has.

The United States has said we play the game for the "Defense" of Taiwan only, and would like to see China work things out with the Island of Taiwan without lots of Taiwanese getting killed in the process. But the US Government officially views "One China" with Taiwan as part of it.
If Taiwan declares her independence from China the people of Taiwan are on their own, and I have seen work ups where China would regain control of Taiwan along with keeping control of the entire of the area of operations within some 2 weeks time.

Last edited:
Back