What's your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty)?

Obviously I have no real world experience to base this on, but I have always wanted to be in armor, so I hope it's a personal thing and it works out (I think it will, but you never know).

There is only one active LRSC, XVIII Abn Corps LRSC out of Ft. Bragg.

But there are three NG LRSCs, I believe .. 425th INF and 121st INF, and I can't recall the third, I think it's in Texas .. I believe those two are assigned I Corps and III Corps, though.

I do not know which one of those NG units it is here in California, but one of our new Lieutenants (a prior service E5) was drilling with them a couple months ago, and it sounds like they're near about as accident prone as myself. :lol:

151st Inf Det

Yes, but they are dedicated to a division(38th INF, I believe), not a corps like the LRSCs.

When I was an RI I had more than a few come through the school from 151st LRS, Indiana gives those lads a ton of money.

I know. My buddy a PFC who has only been in the 151st for 6 months, and the NG for less than 2 years just got a slot to sniper school, this summer AFTER he gets his Air Assault. I was pissed when I heard it. We can't get shit for schools up here, until you are a Cow, but it is getting better, they just started letting CDTs go through SFAS, and they might let the go to Ranger school now too, instead of making them wait until they graduate. You can only go to one school though. But there are some "hooah school" slots floating around, 2 guys got HALO last summer, and a few guys go to CDQC every year.

One of my buddies (another Cadet) just went through CDQC this past summer, has the little Scuba Steve bubble now.

The big difference between a Corps and Division LRSU is the size. A LRSC for a Corps is 2 to 3 times as big as a LRSD. The LRSD for the 40th Infantry Division is the 160th IN Detachment (LRS) at JFTB Los Alamitos. I have also heard that the LRSDs will be going out of business in the near future with the redesign of Division HQ, but their demise has been widely misreported in the past.

Can't speak to their safety record - I'm Field Artillery and not airborne qualified. :D

2 guys got HALO last summer

Jaeger, did they attend the 13-day short course or the 5 weeks?

How are they going to get around their past reasoning for not letting cadets go to RGR school? Because of the better than good chance you will have to repeat a phase and then this will encroach into the academic year, wasn't that their reasoning?

I have no idea which HALO course they went to, but they showed back up with that badass badge though, with everyone else just drooling over it, including me.

That was the reason that they stopped sending CDTs to RNGR SCH. To get a good military grade, you have to complete a school over the summer. I am sure you are aware of the RNGR SCH statistics better than I am, but the last I heard was that only 25% of guys make it through without getting recycled.

My buddy from 2d Batt. spent 6 months at Ranger School, and he said that there were guys who were down there longer than he was.

I am not 100% sure if this is going to go all the way through, but the skinny is that it is in the works.

I don't think that it is the best idea. They will go as LTs anyway, so why don't they give more slots to schools that they would otherwise not have a chance at getting. ex. CDQC, HALO, SERE. Thats just my opinion. What do you think about all this?

I forgot, if a CDT is recycled, then he is automatically dropped. The powers that be will not allow Summer Military Training to get in the way of the AC year.

I'm with you there, if you need a Ranger tab, they'll send you once you commission. I believe that if you are 11A you are required to go through Ranger school anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.

you can be a tabless IN 2LT, but your life would be unadulterated hell. I have heard that if you fail RNGR twice they re-branch you.

They will go as LTs anyway, so why don't they give more slots to schools that they would otherwise not have a chance at getting. ex. CDQC, HALO, SERE. Thats just my opinion. What do you think about all this?

I honestly have no idea why anyone would wantto go through SERE unless it was absolutely necessary. I think I still have thorns in my lips from eating cactus, but the hallucinations were sort of neat.

As for CDQC, HALO, Sapper (not as good as it once was, but a worthwhile school for a cadet), all good schools, and all have something to offer an up and coming officer. I'm not sure how many slots are given, last I heard it was 20 or so and selection to attend CDQC was pretty tight, as it should be .. so opening more slots may allow for more of the lacking individuals to fall through. But, like I said, I'm not sure how many slots are actually given these days.

CDQC is pretty tough, one of the harder schools the Army has to offer and if you get a chance to go, do .. it's one course that will make you prove your physical mettle.

I do think too much emphasis is being put on schools as a goal, or badge finding expedition .. instead of the training. That's really the Army's fault, too many big shiny badges. And I'm sure you know this as well, most soldiers are often judged right away by what's on their uniform. RGR school is a perfect example of that for an O, you can have a fulfilling Infantry career without the Ranger tab, provided you are otherwise squared away, but the left shoulder's the first place your CO and your NCOs are going to look when taking your measure. If you don't have it, or the long tab, or something on the right shoulder, you're going to have to work extra hard to prove yourself. I have known more than a few 2LTs who had to go to their units without the tab (usually because they were med drops at Ranger School and the Army didn't want to keep them at Benning too long) and they didn't consider it a positive experience. It's a good school, and teaches a lot, and will help you be a better infantry officer, but it's not going to change who you are, nor make you a leader.

I'm new to this site but not new the the army, I am a 63B/S/H8 wich is light wheel vehical mechanic, heavy wheel vehical mechanic and vehical recovery specialest,

currently in G co 140th AVN it is a chinook guard unit in California, we were deployed with the 10th special forces group, then the 12th aviation brigade.
Before i was with G co i was in SVC BTRY 2-82 FA in the 1st cav at ft hood texas

JaegerWolf08 said:
I know. My buddy a PFC who has only been in the 151st for 6 months, and the NG for less than 2 years just got a slot to sniper school, this summer AFTER he gets his Air Assault. I was pissed when I heard it. We can't get shit for schools up here, until you are a Cow, but it is getting better, they just started letting CDTs go through SFAS, and they might let the go to Ranger school now too, instead of making them wait until they graduate. You can only go to one school though. But there are some "hooah school" slots floating around, 2 guys got HALO last summer, and a few guys go to CDQC every year.

oh dude don't even start complaining. I'm in ROTC, and guys at Westpoint get so much more shit than we do....This year we got NO air assault slots, no mountain, no northern, and 4 airborne. We don't even get considered for things like CDQC, HALO, SFAS, Ranger School(Unless you go through IOBC)...

Back