What's your impression on China?

china is militarily strong...
but its military power is limited by its low amount of modern equipment and internal problems that could be intentionally exploited by opponents of china...

If somebody tried to invade China with conventional warfare, they would have a really hard time making any progress.

But if China tried to attack, lets say the USA, China wouldnt get far.

Actually no one wants war in China, especially when we see what's happening in Iraq and Afghan.

China's doing well in some aspects and the navy force of China is still not quite strong compared with other powerful nations.

I didnt say that some country wanted to wage war on China, Im just saying if they DID want to, they would be in a tight fix.

It's more than adequate for protecting China but in terms of strategic reach, it's still some ways off for the Chinese military.
Once it has its own carrier fleet, that will slowly start to change.
But more than that, I think their real power lies in their economy, brutal pragmatism and history (and the creation of history). The military will follow behind these fronts to secure what China gains.

Recently there is a TV drama on China's navy development since 1949, which is shown on Centrol China TV and have aroused heated discussion among Chinese on when and how will China build our first aircraft carrier.

It's more than adequate for protecting China but in terms of strategic reach, it's still some ways off for the Chinese military.
Once it has its own carrier fleet, that will slowly start to change.
But more than that, I think their real power lies in their economy, brutal pragmatism and history (and the creation of history). The military will follow behind these fronts to secure what China gains.

I agree.

But for ordinary people in China, how exactly the military has developed and will develop is not a very popular topic. People are more interested in economy and other very Chinese aspects.

Economic development is give the highest priority in China and every other aspects are developed upon this and I think that's why China will not solve Taiwan issue by war.

I love the historic sites of China and think they should be very proud of their history. I think they have a beautiful country and probably wonderful people but I don't care for the brutality against protestors. No offence. :(

Personally i find it hard to forgive them for what they have done/doing. Never mind the fact that they are communists and have countless Human rights violations.

The people of China ( the ones ive meet) seem a well enough sort though, so perhaps its only it's party members in the government. Though i try to avoid unpleasant topics if i could help it.

I had hoped they could have been our friends and change their ways to a respectable democracy, but every time they attack us i lose more hope.

There is no reason to consider an invasion of China. They will slowly be dragged into the modern world. There form of government and society are changing even as we watch. When you have a middle class like they are developing then comes some form of democracy.

I don´t think China will ever become a democracy in the classic sence.
I however think they will develop a sort of leadership that are geared towards managing China and the Chinese.

I doubt they will get strong enough militarily to reach their goals that way in the forseable future.
I would like to enter a caution here though.
A war between Russia and China is not as far fetched as we might think.
There are alot of resourses up north that are being disputed as we speak.

//KJ.

Militarily, I think China is quite strong simply because of numbers. If they lose a half billion people, so what? They've got another half billion spare. I think they have well trained troops, but I don't think their equipment is up to western standards. As for my general impression on the country, it's neither a good ally nor is it an enemy to the US.

For those who think the democratization of China would be a good thing, currently it is not.
The Chinese public are often more fanatically for cracking down on separatists, Western press (who cover controversial incidents in China) and expanding China's influence with the use of force. It is their government which urges calm and fear that doing anything rash would cause a large incident that is harmful for China and its image.
The Chinese government (which is Communist only by name) is far more reasonable and far more interested in peace than are the public. Right now, I'm glad the Communist Party is in charge of China.
They've always had a different standard for Human Rights. Not very good compared to the West at all, but that's just their standards. The individual human life is not valued very highly, at least not as much as the West. It makes for quick justice though. The guys who made their baby milk powder products unsafe were swiftly executed. In the West there would be a huge trial, it'll last 5 or 6 years and in the end there'd be something about letting them give back to society for what they've done. In China, they already have that arrangement. They execute you and send your organs to the hospital for transplant surgery use.
As for dragging them "into the modern world," they're not backward. They're just different.

For those who think the democratization of China would be a good thing, currently it is not.
The Chinese public are often more fanatically for cracking down on separatists, Western press (who cover controversial incidents in China) and expanding China's influence with the use of force. It is their government which urges calm and fear that doing anything rash would cause a large incident that is harmful for China and its image.
The Chinese government (which is Communist only by name) is far more reasonable and far more interested in peace than are the public. Right now, I'm glad the Communist Party is in charge of China.
They've always had a different standard for Human Rights. Not very good compared to the West at all, but that's just their standards. The individual human life is not valued very highly, at least not as much as the West. It makes for quick justice though. The guys who made their baby milk powder products unsafe were swiftly executed. In the West there would be a huge trial, it'll last 5 or 6 years and in the end there'd be something about letting them give back to society for what they've done. In China, they already have that arrangement. They execute you and send your organs to the hospital for transplant surgery use.
As for dragging them "into the modern world," they're not backward. They're just different.
I agree; a democratic China would go over about as well as the Iranian Revolution.

good call

I argree too and if china piss us off and go to war with our allies will just stop sending them our raw materials from Western Australia which they so heavily depend on

I argree too and if china piss us off and go to war with our allies will just stop sending them our raw materials from Western Australia which they so heavily depend on
Unfortunately they can afford to sacrifice millions to take those supplies back, and the west can't build fast enough because most of our factories are in the Pacific Rim now. And, as MacArthur correctly predicted, the only way to fight the Chinese is with Nuclear Weapons, and no one wants to do that.

Back