What's your favourite WWI - WWII movie?

mtnw123

Hello,
Ever since i was young, i was easily fascinated by war films. In fact, I started watching war films even before i read any books on the war. So i watched a fair bit of the films.

Well, I just thought i would find out others' opinions and to see if i missed out on any good shows.

ps. Im very sorry if similar threads have been posted, but so far i havent seen any, so yeah...

But far my favourite war movie let alone WWII one is a Bridge Far. That too me is one of the best war films ever written.

Best WWI movie? This is really a comedy series to a movie but I loved it. it was Blackadder Goes Forth and I thought it was absolutely hilarious!

Hello,

My favorite WWII movie is actually a movie from Finland: Unknown Soldier, my own translation. The movie is about a machine gun platoon during the war between 1941-44. If you can find it with English subtitles, see it.

it is a bit more tricky to find a good movie from WWI, I will go with two, one is actually a TV-serie from Australia, ANZAC (I think, I must leave that open) Another and now a movie, quite new. "Lost Battalion". Not so many movies about the Great War.

I prefer to watch documentaries instead of movies/TV-series.

take care,

Ghostrider

My favorite WWI movie is "Wings," a silent flick that won the first ever "Best Picture" Oscar. I like it because it doesn't glamorize aerial warfare like it was some congenial joust between knights with honor and respect for their opponents.

My favorite WWII movie would have to be either "Patton" or "A Bridge Too Far." Both are historically accurate, and that's a rare commodity; most of today's are crap, ie, "Pearl Harbor."

My favorite WWI movie is:
All Quiet on the Western Front

My favorite WWII movie? There are two:
Das Boot & Der Untergang

My favorite WWI movie is:
All Quiet on the Western Front

My favorite WWII movie? There are two:
Das Boot & Der Untergang

Hi

I never classified the Der Untergang as a "real" war movie. Good movie, though. If you mean the movie about the last days of Adolf Hitler.

The Germans have produced a few good movies, you are mention one more, the Das Boot and I think the same people made the movie Stalingrad.

Anybody seen the movie about Katyn?

take care

Ghostrider

Another and now a movie, quite new. "Lost Battalion".

I know what you mean. And my personal opinion is because even now people are still shocked about what happened at WWI and really don't want to revive the memories of a nation encouraging millions of young men to sign up and walk into machine gun fire. Even just thinking about it can make me feel upset to be British. But sometimes I just think we need to create a movie to show people what the war was really like because something have forgotten or underestimated it. And we just need to do a good one to give the war justice and move on in life.

WWI disappears a bit "behind" the WWII. Except for the all quiet on the western front, not much have been done about it from authors and movie makers. Academics have written about the war, mostly the causes of the war.

The problem for the move makers and authors is to find a story which they can grasp and show it so the public can understand it without telling the whole story about the war. The two battles of Somme as an example, to lift them from its context can be problematic. The Gallipoli operation can work perhaps.

Discovery Channel had a long documentary about the war a few years ago, but I only watched parts of it. Due to the lack of time to see it all.

Another documentary is "The Great War" (BBC) they are reading diaries and letters from the participants. It gives an insight to the soldiers and their minds.

take care

Ghostrider

Last edited:
I like a bridge too far, but was disappointed they left out the Dutch Gen. comments, @ the end of the book, to the US/UK Generals/Brass. The Dutch Gen. said(more or less) I see you failed the exam! Huh? The Final Exam @ the Dutch War College is an attack on our Country from the south. Anyone who tries what you did automatically fails! Seem we didn't bother to ask the Dutch how to invade thier own Country.

I like a bridge too far, but was disappointed they left out the Dutch Gen. comments, @ the end of the book, to the US/UK Generals/Brass. The Dutch Gen. said(more or less) I see you failed the exam! Huh? The Final Exam @ the Dutch War College is an attack on our Country from the south. Anyone who tries what you did automatically fails! Seem we didn't bother to ask the Dutch how to invade thier own Country.

Read the Battle of Arnhem by Bauer the book is based on those comments, and gives a total picture.

I don't have a favorite WWI movie, not so knowing about WWI except about the trench warfare, and that seems to be about it
My favorite WWII movie was Stalingrad and Das Boot, along with a Bridge Too Far

A Bridge to far aka Operation Comet revised as Market Garden was good however inaccurate accounts.

The Dirty Dozen and Hogan's Heroes was good.

The Great Escape was one of my faves.

My favorite WW-2 movies are "Das Boot", "Tora, Tora, Tora", and "Saving Private Ryan."
The movie Saving Private Ryan made my list because it has been the best movie about a violently opposed amphibious invasion.

I reckon 'Lawrence of Arabia'.

Winston Churchill was a major consultant on the making of the film for the director and producer; he and Lawrence had been best friends, and Churchill knew his subject; he also took a great interest in film-making and was a screen-writer himself.

His own favourite film was 'Mrs Hamilton' - the story of Horatio Nelson; he watched it 17 times and cried openly every time he saw the scene of Nelson's death in action at Trafalgar.

He was a great writer, considerable artist and a qualified brick-layer.:salute2:

Back