What's Your Favorite POW Movie?

Charge 7

Master Gunner
Per request in the Branch Specific movie thread, here's the what's your favorite POW thread.

While "The Great Escape" quickly comes to mind and is about a gnat's eyebrow from being first, I'll have to go with "Stalag 17". It has it all. Action, suspense, and a good deal of humor. You can't beat that.

Harts War (Bruce Willis) would have it for me and comming in a very close second would be The Great Escape mainly for its all star cast of the time.

Best POW movie

In order of preference:
The great escape
Bridge on the river Kwai
Stalag 17
Harts War.

Most hated, the reacent pacific themed ones like Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and the ridiculous one with a very healthy looking Keifer Sutherland in it.

The Bridge over the river Kwai is a real classic..
Who doesn't know the whistle tune from that one..... :)

there's escape from sobibor (spelling) too
grey Zone (god that was depressing)

and would you count uprising? about the warsaw ghetto uprising?

None of the movies you listed are about POWs, Chewie, so none of them count. Those were all about the Holocaust either in the death camps or the Warsaw Ghetto. By "POW" we're expecting by definition a uniformed combatant taken prisoner by the opposing side.

Charge_7 said:
None of the movies you listed are about POWs, Chewie, so none of them count. Those were all about the Holocaust either in the death camps or the Warsaw Ghetto. By "POW" we're expecting by definition a uniformed combatant taken prisoner by the opposing side.

sweet, cheers for the correction

bridge over the river kwai & von ryans express then

Toss up between Stalag 17 and The Great Escape. Since both of those were the basis for Hogan's Heroes I'd have to agree I like that show alot too even if it was never a movie.

Back