What's your favorite military computer game??

Operation Flashpoint ---classic and the mission editor is ****ing awesome

Vietcong ----hugely underated and ignored game but is completely different from any other war-game..if u havnt played this u need to

Civ 3 ----more emphasis on strategy

I'm kind of a fan of the Novalogic Delta Force series of games. It's more like the online play actually. I used to play that a lot. But after I found Americas Army I stopped playing DF Black Hawk Down and started playing AA almost religiously.

Pete031 said:
anyone know when Flahpoint 2 is coming out?

Supposedly 2006.
Crappy I know.

@ egoz

I tried FSW this weekend, first impressions are good, the game looks nice, feels nice and gives good CQB feel.
Voice acting is spot on-just how I pictured the US infantry. :D

egoz said:
I'm kind of a fan of the Novalogic Delta Force series of games. It's more like the online play actually. I used to play that a lot. But after I found Americas Army I stopped playing DF Black Hawk Down and started playing AA almost religiously.

new novalogic game ''Joint Operations:Typhoon Rising''

black hawk engine...but with strykers, BTR's, chinooks, HALO's, boats, jeeps, mortars etc....

the maps are up to 50km squares and the servers play up to 150 ppl :shock:

hmm
this really is a no brainer:
Close Combat2: A bridge too far (espeically with the Ranger mod, it rocks!!!)
Close Combat5: invasion normandy
close combat4: battle of the bulge was good, but not as good as 2 & 5

FPS are a dime a dozen and anyone can play them, they dont necessarily require brains, they are point and shoot.
CC requires brains and solid strategy, you must use your men wisely or you are going to end up up the creek

if i had to play a more mainstream game:
vietcong and Fist Alpha (yes i know they are FPS, watch me put my foot in my mouth)
full spectrum warrior

if you are into military related games, and like strategy (and no, im talking real strategy, not C&C "lets just amass massive armies and call it strategy" you really should take a look at the CC series, it will blow you away

beardo said:
new novalogic game ''Joint Operations:Typhoon Rising''

black hawk engine...but with strykers, BTR's, chinooks, HALO's, boats, jeeps, mortars etc....

the maps are up to 50km squares and the servers play up to 150 ppl :shock:
yup, i just got that game this summer too. it ran really well, i didn't have any problems with it. but there wasn't too many people playing at the time, a lot of them were playing DM maps and those got really onld real quick. there were 70-100 on this small little indoor map and i was getting blown up everytime i respawned. not fun at all. i have a feeling it was a custom map though. other ones were really awesome but if there aren't enough players on it, it'll take you 30 minutes to find another player and if you get killed that's another 30 minutes of looking for him to do it all over again.

try the ''Advance And Secure'' mode, theres much more people playing..even though i havnt played in a while

I'm waiting for Battlefield 2 or Battlefield Modern Combat console version. These are highly anticipated team-based games.

Battlefield 1942 is not realistic at all. The Tanks were sized down and several weapons models were incorrect. Probably because of the limit of the average hardware accerelation during that time. Plus BF 1942 was a scrambled test to decide whether the franchise was successful or not.

For fun, realism, longevity, and variety I'd say VBS1 (Virtual Battle Space 1). It costs approx $200 Australian. It was developed by the USMC and Australian Defence Force as a realistic mission simulator, and they've put it on the public market now.

now that sounds like a pretty cool game. full spectrum warrior was developed with the army as a training device. while america's army was developed as a recruiting device. both were done with the cooperation of the military though. i'm curious as to how that aussie game plays now. the only thing i really don't like about full spectrum warrior is that the replay factor sucks and you can't get that first person shooter feel when you want it.

I played Ghost Recon 2 at my friends the other day. It was alright, not great. The missions are pretty challenging.

Lets see...
The Operational Art of War - Also has a great scenario creator for practically unlimited replayability. Want to create a battle scenario? You can do so right here. But to make it right, you'll almost have to put in a Masters level research into it lol.

Metal Gear Solid series - Not realistic at all but it's fun as hell!!! Plus a lot of the weapons etc. area real so that can be loads of fun too. The latest one, MGS 3 Snake Eater is the best.

Battlefield Vietnam - I liked it. I know someone here doesn't like it but I enjoyed it thoroughly even though the maps did seem a little repetitive. Modern combat should be great. I really enjoy being the transport helicopter pilot. I did that a lot in Battlefield Vietnam. A lot of dudes go on suicide runs or just don't pick up passengers but I was different.

Search and Rescue 3 - Well.. a cute little Coast Guard rescue game. You can also do free flight, pretend the Dauphin is a Black Hawk and conduct "special operations" with it. :p

the_13th_redneck said:
Search and Rescue 3 - Well.. a cute little Coast Guard rescue game. You can also do free flight, pretend the Dauphin is a Black Hawk and conduct "special operations" with it. :p
So this is what the US coastgaurd does when not busting criminals!

VBS 1 is just "Flashpoint 1.5"

It comes from the same authors, uses almost same addon coding, the only thing fancy is the Observer Module-which could be replicated to some extent in Flashpoint with scripts.
Otherwise it's Flashpoint aimed at the military and enhanced slightly in the graphics department.
Basically it offers 6 CD's containing the game, observer module, animal pack, opfor pack and USMC an Australian Army addon discs....for only about a 1000 $. :D

Flashpoint is a much better intermediate solution until the sequel comes out, costs only about 10$ and offers a bazillion of addons that are completely free.

But if someone decides to buy VBS1, there's a tool which easily converts Flashpoint addons into VBS addons.

Back