Whats your favorite military book/novel?

My List...

All Tom Clancys,Harold Coyle,Steven Coonts, and a few others im readin now De merceo

Swift Silent and Surrounded
Black Hawk Down
Band of Brothers
Once an Eagle
All Quiet on the Western Front
We Were Soldiers Once and Young
Flags Of Our Fathers

I read a book once called "Hurry up and wait" it was written by a military wife for military wives, it was a hoot, it's all about being a service wife.

GUNNER

fav book

those ragged bloody heroes:from kokoda track to gona beach1942 by peter brune

the desert column by ion idress

gallipoli by micheal hickey

battletactics of naploeon and his enemies by brent nosworthy

Jacka's mob by Captain E.J.Rule, MC.,MM.,

i have read alot of these books.... but one that has not been mentioned, and is a great book. "Time To Hunt" by Stephen hunter. its a marine story from vietnam and ends in modern times. i have a copy as my own personal book. i have read it a few times and i can still not put it down. everytime i read it i read the whole book in 2 days. not bad for 468 pages. if anyone wants it let me know i will ship it out to them.

whats it about

rifles for wadie is the tale of the little publicies civil war in the far west(i.e. arkansas, kansas, oklahoma and texas) it is centered on the life of a fictionional caracter in real happenings. he joins the union army soon after his family is attacked unnseccessfully by confederate militants, during the story the heroe(based on real people)is everything from an infantryman to a spy, he even fights as an artilleryman during the battle of prarie grove.

guns up is by far the best book i have read.....it is about a machine gunners tour in vietnam..great book...great great book.

:horsie: I would have to agree with everyone that mentioned 'We Were Soldiers Once and Young' The movie was great but the book had so much more detail and continued on from from where the movie stopped.

Favorite book?

My Opinion Is that Tom Clancys Fiction And Non fiction are the best, very detailed, hard to put down his books in the middle of a mission.
I reccomend his books to anyone and everyone! :)
:sniper:

My favorites...

On Killing by Lt. Dave Grossman about the psychology of soliders in war..are we really killers or is it a trained or learned thing?

Nam... a compilation of experiences from different soldiers...

All Quiet on the Western Front - a WWI fiction about a German soldier

Does anyone have any suggestions for a book which pits the US against another national in a full scale war (in modern times)? I read [/i]Red Phoenix[/i] but that was just more a thriller type. Thanks.

Well, there are a few:

"The Ten Thousand" and "Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle
"Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy
"Arc Light" and "Protect & Defend" by Eric L. Harry
"Cauldron" by Larry Bond
"The 13th Valley" by Jon M. Delvecchio (great novel about the 101st Airborne in Vietnam 1970!)

but my utmost favourite 2:
"The Third World War - August 1985" and "The Third World War - The Untold Story" by the British general Sir John Hackett. These two novels describe in a documentary kind of way a fictious Warschau pact - NATO WW3 happening in 1985 with such agonizingly, frighteningly realism, that it gave me the shivers reading it, and made me VERY thankful that this war never actually happened. I'd say that EVERY politician in ANY country having anything to say about Defense budget should first read these two books before even thinking about a nuclear program.
Funny fact is, that "Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle is based upon the European war theatre described in these books.

If you're interested in ordering: the ISBN number of "August 1985" is
0-425-04477-7, I don't have a copy of "The untold story" so no ISBN for that book, sorry.

A bridge too far - Cornelius ryan
Rommel memories - Rommel
Rommel, the desert fox - David Frasier

Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, Debt of Honor, and Bear and the Dragon
Dale Brown's Fatal Terrain, Battle Born, Wings of Fire, Air Battle Force and Plan of Attack

Back