Whats your favorite military book/novel?

Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden.
Team Yankee - Harold Coyle.
All quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque.
The Price of Glory - Verdun 1916 - Alistair Horne.
Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy.
Stalingrad - Antony Beevor.
Berlin - 1945 Antony Beevor.
Paths of Glory - Anthony Clayton.
Iran-Iraq: War in the air - Tom Cooper & Farzad Bishop.

See No Evil by Robert Bear {Retired CIA agent}

Good Book, but I actually I put that down right in the middle, for reasons that should be left out of this conversation :wink:

Lots of good suggestions - here are some of my favorites (beyond some of those the have been already mentioned):

The Defense of Duffer’s Drift by E. D. Swinton (a must have, but out of print again :( )
The Defense of Hill 781 by James R. McDonough (Swinton with a modern twist)
Steel Wind - Colonel Georg Bruchmuller and the Birth of Modern Artillery by David T. Zabecki
Panzer Battles by F. W. von Mellenthin
Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian
Lost Victories by Erich von Manstein

Fiction:

Any of the Hammer’s Slammers stories by David Drake
Any of the Horatio Hornblower stories by C. S. Forester (Forester did it first and best :!: )
The Captain from Connecticut by C. S. Forester
The General by C. S. Forester

Well 'Marine Sniper' and 'Silent Warrior' are basically the same book, only with different details, but they are my favorite. They inspired me, and they rock.

Mine has gotta be The Hunt For Bin Laden: Task Force Dagger byRobin Moore. It rshows the true story behind the Special Force takdown of the Taliban, and really shows a parellel to the Green Berets of today with there Northern Allience conterparts, and the Vietnam era Green Berets with their Montagnard guys.

A lot of you seem to have an interest in this book. You should know it is 99% Bullsh*t. Everything you read in that book was spoonfed to Moore by a convicted felon who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. It's fiction, pure fiction and it's one book that isn't fit for the trash. Read it if you like, but understand it has no value whatsoever, and will not give you any real or factual insight into Special Forces, or anything that occured in A-Stan.

The Rommel Papers
Lost Victories
Panzer Leader
The Rise of the Third Reich......

I mostly just read WW2 lit. but will pick up about anything to do with history.

i dont read militray books.. but... i have this thing for cadences & good comand voices.... I love my book of military cadences (my bible) :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :p

Infantry attacks By Rommel----exellent book, he writes about his WWI experiences..great

Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab
also a great one and no fiction

Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab
also a great one and no fiction

There are two more books, "The One that Got Away" and "Soldier 5," and a fourth book, written by someone who traced their route and investigated their claims. If you've read one of the books concerning B20, read the other three, you'll find them interesting.

The AAR is rather interesting, to say the least.

my faves (ones that i keep on re reading!!)
non fiction:
Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose
Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowen
Six Days by jeremy Bowen
"story of my life" cant remember who by, its a biog of Moshe Dayan and a FANTASTIC read.

fiction:
Enders Game/Enders shadow/shadow of the Hegemon/Shadow Puppets all by Orson Scott Card.
Ice Station by Matthew Reilley
Ranbow 6/Clear and Present Danger by Tom Clancey

Back