Whats your favorite military book/novel?

Thanks for the link about "Parachute Infantry" I had just been looking in bookstores. I would also recommend "The Victors" by Stephen Ambrose - it has some details in it that show up in "Saving Private Ryan" as well.

Stephen Ambrose really has written some great books, but Im really struggling with one he wrote in the 70s that Im reading now. It's alled Crazy Horse and Custer; The Parellel Lives of Two American Warriors. It's informative but with lots of small text and written in a research paper formatt. I wouldn't reccomend it for pleasure reading.

I just got a 700 page biography on Patton and it is looking very very good. And my grandma gave me an heirloom a 1000 page "The Complete History of World War II" copyright 1948. I'm going to use it to research some of the battles my great grandfathers fought. It one of my great grandfather's service record written in the fron and it looks like he was a Navy man on the USS Missouri at the time of the Japanese surrender. I'll post more in my tracking old soldiers thread as I find stuff.

Well i liked a few...

STALINGRAD by Antony Beevor
THE RISING SUN-by Jhon Toland
THE TANK-by Douglas Orgill
THE SPEARHEADS- by James AltIerl

Sorry just had to come back for seconds

You know..not everything up to date is a interesting read for me...

There was a book I read a long time ago..in 1961..that has haunted me for years. I would highly reccomend that any U.S. Marine read this novel..as it was so vividly real for the time period it covered. its the story of a young southern man, enlisting in the US Marine Corp in 1919..his paris island boot camp honduran war, china service..WWII island campaigns..and korea. A true 30 year career individual.

The Books Title is

Doyle A New
One was a Marine.
1st ed.
New York, Greenwich Book Publishers [1956]
276 p. 21 cm.

hmm....

Non Fiction:
Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden
In the Company Of Heros by Michael Durant (even though I haven't finished reading it, its a great book)
Special Forces by Tom Clancy
Band of Brother by Stephen Ambrose
Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides

Fiction:
Charlie Mike by Leonard B. Scott
Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy

and thats about it for now....

Raptor, does Durant really reveal new information about the mission in his book, or is it basically an account of his hostage experience? I guess what I mean is it worth buying if you've read Black Hawk Down?

I would have to go with anything that Clancy has written, especially Red Storm Rising and Hunt for R/O. Last time I read eithe one was in the 6th grade though.

I just read a VERY good one called Beaucoup Dinky Dau- Very Crazy GI, Strange but True Stories of the Vietnam War. There is some amazingly crazy shit in that book.

GuyontheRight said:
Raptor, does Durant really reveal new information about the mission in his book, or is it basically an account of his hostage experience? I guess what I mean is it worth buying if you've read Black Hawk Down?

So far, he's revealed somethings about the missions that they were sent on but nothing much about the actual mission that he went on and got captured, of course I haven't read much about that yet, its probably later on in the book. But if you liked Black Hawk Down its defiantly something to look at, maybe check it out at your library if you're unsure of it.

Back