What's your favorite dog breed?

What's your favorite dog breed?

• Total voters
I've always like Great Danes myself. I live in a house that hasn't been more the a couple of days without having a Great Dane in it since the late 1970s.

I Like Brittanys, Beagles, Saint Bernards, Scotties, Schnauzers...

I have A German Shorthaired Pointer. Those Dogs Are Stupid.

I love Setters! Irish Setters are beautiful & so are Gordon. Right now we have a LuEllen Setter which is like a English Setter only smaller.

Lovely sweet dogs.

I also like big scary dogs though! No one would ever mess with you! :shock:

Toodles!
Serenity
bounce.gif

I'm shocked you don't have the world's most popular dog breed in your list. Of course I'm taking about the German Shepard. My family has bred them since 1948 - first my father and now me. Our dogs also get their first year of training with us before they go off to work with police agencies, rescue organizations, and healthcare groups. We also sell some pups to the public when they've been thoroughly screened. None of our dogs wind up chained out back of somebody's house or worse yet, as some junkyard dog. They either go into a caring home where people have an understanding of the big active dogs' needs or they go to the above listed groups who get first pick. Currently I have just one male dog and am breeding him through anouther breeder of long reputation in the area. We'll be getting a new female this Spring. Our last female was maliciously killed last Summer. It was claimed they thought she was a coyote. Yeah sure. Four times the size of a coyote and the wrong color, but if people can shoot a Jersey cow thinking it's a deer I guess they _are_ that stupid.

What I am surprised at is you have a separate category of Labs v. Retrievers. A Lab is a retriever.

My favourite is the Newfoundland dog, the "Gentle Giant". Loyal, intelligent, great with kids, and gi-nor-mous! And BTW, the Lab is a breeding derivative of the Newfoundland.

I saw it on TLC so it must be true.

My close-second is a particular Devon Custard Terrier, third is a Clinger Spaniel.

J. :)

SigPig said:
My favourite is the Newfoundland dog, the "Gentle Giant". Loyal, intelligent, great with kids, and gi-nor-mous!

What exactly does "Ginormous" mean?

I do like any foxhound. I do not like hunting foxes, however...

It's a portmanteau word, a cross between "gigantic" and "enormous".

Not standard English, by any stretch.

Yet.

J.

Yep, SigPig, she shoulda listed it as "Labrador Retrievers" and "Golden Retrievers". I'll try to forgive her for not listing German Shepards if you can forgive her for the retriever foul up.

Newfies are great dogs. My sister had one named "Ponderosa" because he was so big. Poor thing was poisoned by her neighbor because the :cen: was afraid of it even though "Pondy" never left the property. Neighbor was a New York transplant and not a Vermonter. He paid for it. Whole town shunned the guy such that he had to sell his house and leave town. I found out later the real estate agent sold the place for the least amount of money possible. After that, I found out from a LEO friend how to poison proof train your dog. It can be a hassle, but worth the effort.

One of the main things you have to remember when you have a Newfoundland dog is if you ever take your kids swimming, don't bring your dog. They tend to dive into the water/ocean/pond/pool and "rescue" them. They have a thick oily coat for buoyancy and webbed toes. They have droopy jowls like a St Bernard that allows them to gently grab objects in their jaws.

Newfoundlands were used up until quite recently (and may still be) as working dogs on their namesake isle. They usually hauled small wagons or sleighs with wood, produce, whatnot.

They usually have a marvelous temperament, and are an excellent kid's dog. All Newfoundlands I have had the pleasure of meeting have been big sooks.

J.

Newfies are indeed still used in rescue work. I saw a TV show recently that showed them at work being dropped by helicopter even!

Geez I'm not very good at this poll thing am I....lol, I can't believe I forgot German Shepards either, lol. And as for the lab/retriever thing, I always thought there were differences between them...

Oh well, thanks for helping me out with this thing, lol

SigPig said:
One of the main things you have to remember when you have a Newfoundland dog is if you ever take your kids swimming, don't bring your dog. They tend to dive into the water/ocean/pond/pool and "rescue" them. They have a thick oily coat for buoyancy and webbed toes. They have droopy jowls like a St Bernard that allows them to gently grab objects in their jaws.

Newfoundlands were used up until quite recently (and may still be) as working dogs on their namesake isle. They usually hauled small wagons or sleighs with wood, produce, whatnot.

They usually have a marvelous temperament, and are an excellent kid's dog. All Newfoundlands I have had the pleasure of meeting have been big sooks.

J.

i've seen a newfie tow a row boats with four adults in it....and it was having the time of it's life!

me? i'm very fond of black labs. had one since i was five and had to have it put down when i was twenty. can't wait to get another one

Even though we have never owend a dog...yet, I like the German Shepards. My cadets should be thankful because a few times I have wanted one and wanted to train it to sic cadets. :D

This is a tough one. I have had a two Doberman Pinschers as well as a German Shepherd, a Brittany, and a Keeshond (my wife's dog, really) at different times. They were all great dogs and I loved them all but if I had to pick one breed, I'd probably choose a Dobe, unless I was going bird hunting (Brit) :)

Back