What's your favorite dog breed? - Page 2

View Poll Results :What's your favorite dog breed?
Labs 8 9.30%
Retrievers 6 6.98%
Boxer 1 1.16%
Bulldog 3 3.49%
Poodle 0 0%
Rottweiler 3 3.49%
Terrier 8 9.30%
Mutt 6 6.98%
Other 51 59.30%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

March 6th, 2005  
SigPig

One of the main things you have to remember when you have a Newfoundland dog is if you ever take your kids swimming, don't bring your dog. They tend to dive into the water/ocean/pond/pool and "rescue" them. They have a thick oily coat for buoyancy and webbed toes. They have droopy jowls like a St Bernard that allows them to gently grab objects in their jaws.

Newfoundlands were used up until quite recently (and may still be) as working dogs on their namesake isle. They usually hauled small wagons or sleighs with wood, produce, whatnot.

They usually have a marvelous temperament, and are an excellent kid's dog. All Newfoundlands I have had the pleasure of meeting have been big sooks.

J.
March 6th, 2005  
Charge 7

Newfies are indeed still used in rescue work. I saw a TV show recently that showed them at work being dropped by helicopter even!
March 7th, 2005  
CanadianCowgirl

Geez I'm not very good at this poll thing am I....lol, I can't believe I forgot German Shepards either, lol. And as for the lab/retriever thing, I always thought there were differences between them...

Oh well, thanks for helping me out with this thing, lol
--
Boots
March 7th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPig
One of the main things you have to remember when you have a Newfoundland dog is if you ever take your kids swimming, don't bring your dog. They tend to dive into the water/ocean/pond/pool and "rescue" them. They have a thick oily coat for buoyancy and webbed toes. They have droopy jowls like a St Bernard that allows them to gently grab objects in their jaws.

Newfoundlands were used up until quite recently (and may still be) as working dogs on their namesake isle. They usually hauled small wagons or sleighs with wood, produce, whatnot.

They usually have a marvelous temperament, and are an excellent kid's dog. All Newfoundlands I have had the pleasure of meeting have been big sooks.

J.
i've seen a newfie tow a row boats with four adults in it....and it was having the time of it's life!

me? i'm very fond of black labs. had one since i was five and had to have it put down when i was twenty. can't wait to get another one
March 7th, 2005  
C/2nd Lt Robot

Even though we have never owend a dog...yet, I like the German Shepards. My cadets should be thankful because a few times I have wanted one and wanted to train it to sic cadets.
March 7th, 2005  
DTop

This is a tough one. I have had a two Doberman Pinschers as well as a German Shepherd, a Brittany, and a Keeshond (my wife's dog, really) at different times. They were all great dogs and I loved them all but if I had to pick one breed, I'd probably choose a Dobe, unless I was going bird hunting (Brit)
March 7th, 2005  
lumberjack

any body ever heard of a kind of Tibetian dog

it is said to be one of the most fierce dog
March 7th, 2005  
Missileer

A Terrier. I have a Rat Terrier but also like the Jack Russell.
March 7th, 2005  
USAFAUX2004

Fox Terriers! HELL YEA!
May 8th, 2005  
LIBERTY

German Shepard, and if you choose poodle I'll kill you!!! lol just kidding.