What's your experience (cancer)

>*CrAzY*<

I know that cancer has effected millions of people worldwide. Right now its making a huge impact on my life. My grandpa has cancer, and has been rehospitalized as of Monday. He has some type of infection, but they can't figure out what's wrong with him. He's gone through horrible treatments, and every possible thing that could go wrong, has.

What's others experiences with it? Any advice? I've never lost a grandparent before, and with there being 2 deaths in my family in the past year (pretty hard too, g-grandma starved to death in a coma/unconsciousness, uncle had infazema and spent his last 5 minutes suffocating) I'm pretty torn up already.

Prayers are appreciated, and not only for him, my best friends grandpa has it also, and for all others going through these horrible treatments.

Im sorry for your Grandfather, mine died of cancer when I was only a little boy, and I really don't remember the experience. Id tell you to take every moment you can with him, because you never know when he'll be gone. I most regret not being able to communicate my feelings for my grandfather at my age, so make sure you do that too.

Good Luck and May God Bless Him

Update.

Ok, you know how a normal persons white blood count is say .... 1500... well, my grandpas is down to 400.

They did x-rays today. Apparently his esophagus is leaking. The 400 WBC count is making it impossible to heal itself. In other words, he isn't allowed to have any more chemo.

I would spend time with him, if he felt like talkin to anyone, or could do anything, or wanted to do anything other then sleep, or if I had the ****ing time.

Ok, sometimes I just get sooooo mad...Help?

I lost my grandfather last summer. It just takes a lot of private time to get past. But if your grandfather goes, only make sure he recieves his last rites(Extreme Unction for you Catholics). Then he can go in peace and his suffering will be over.

...and don't think about the . Think about the life.

I'm trying too. I've never been insanely close to that grandpa... but death effects me in ways I would have never imagined... just because of some past experiences... And... I mean... I'm thinking about the life and all... but his life lately has been suffering... and it's Horrible.

Ok, I'll quit complaining now.

And now I'm waiting to see if I'm going to eat a bunch or not eat at all during this whole thing. One or the other comes at extremes when I get majorly stressed... Someone talk me out of eating so much... jeez

Just found out that since his WBC is so low, and I'm coming down with a cold, I'm not allowed to see him anyway. :evil: :( :cry:

My Papaw had Melonoma stage 4 (skin cancer) and he died about 6 months ago. Its a sad thing, but I think chemo doesnt do crap. He just got worse.

I spent lots of time with him so that helped alot. Also my brother has been having dreams with him in it since it happened wierd, but cool.

Hope for the best, and spend lots of time with him. :cowb:

Also my brother has been having dreams with him in it since it happened wierd, but cool.

Sorry for your loss, but dreams like that sound like a really special thing. I cant even remember what my Grandfather looks like.

have had nine relatives die from different types of cancer, as well as two mates. all i can really say about cancer is that it suxs, and unfortunatly some medical ppl would rather get paid money for research then try to cure it :evil:

all i can say is try what ever it takes to stop it even if the doctors dont believe it will work.( it took the medical profesion over 100 years to agree that the should wash there hands between surgery operations)
chemo in a lot of cases does BUGGER ALL!!!!!!!!!

:?:

update: His esophogus is not leaking, apparently the test results came back as a negative. Radiation starts back tomorrow... is this supposed to be good news? not sure, but hey, I'm trying to be happy. I have one of my supports back, and his gf decided that she was kinda ok with that... Good!

My Papaw was a pretty funny guy. Whenever he went too the Cancer Therapy and Research Center he wore his Cancer Sucks hat and shirt he got made. :cowb:

ACTaFOOL82 said:
My Papaw was a pretty funny guy. Whenever he went too the Cancer Therapy and Research Center he wore his Cancer Sucks hat and shirt he got made. :cowb:

Oooo where did he get the shirt? i want one of those! for my papaw too.

He's doin much better then yesterday my dad said. Yay! I can actually do all of my homework in peace!

Thought I would give an update.

My grandpa is out of the hospital, at home and has whatever its called... at home care. He feels better (I think) and is somewhat stable (I think.) Keep him in your prayers please!

Thanks for everything yall!

My Jake Poppy (other g-pa) has cancer under his eye. Its supposed to be one of the easiest to take care of, but hey, this whole esophogus cancer wasn't supposed to be horrible either.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

My family has a strong history with cancer. Lost a number of aunts and one grandmother to it. WOuld've likely lost uncles, but that heart usually gives them troubles before cancer can kick in.

Regardless, your grandfather is not naive.

Get him to record some funny moments. If he can't speak, get family members to recount them in front of him. Make him laugh and give him good memories to look on. Not like an interview, just ask him normal questions. What was your happiest day? WHat was your most embarrassing moment? When did you first remember cussing? Light hearted stuff he might want to share. Phrased as questions. Folks love to talk about themselves.

Don't know your age. If (as it seems on this site with all the JROTC folks) you're young, take that step forward.

Do it for your grandpa.

Record the happeir times in his life. Have others remind him of the good times. My mom battled mouth and throat cancer and she loved to "bust on us" in front of each other (6 kids) and our spouses. Laghter can help, but more importantly, it's about him right now.

He needs things to remind him why it's worth taking the next treatment, or getting out of bed for the morning walks.

Cancer can rob your spirit. You can remind him about all the stupid and silly stuff that makes life worth living.

Take the lead. I promise you will never regret reminding your grandpa of good times.

What's the affect of cancer on me?

Well, on my mother's side, I have lost a grandpa to Lympho Sarcoma way before I was born. From what I'm told, he was such an absolutely amazing man, and everyone wishes they could have met the man. Gramdma has never remarried, and its been close to 40 years I believe. I have a cousin who had Hodgkin's Disease but went into remission for a long time. Recently over 10 years after, she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and I believe she's still in remission from that. I'm pretty sure there have been some great uncles and aunts that have died from cancer as well.

On my father's side, my grandmother survived Breast Cancer. She died much, much later of a long list of things. She was the best listener that I think I've ever known in my entire life, and had more genuine kindness for others that I've ever seen in a person before or since. We were great friends, but then again, everyone was Grandma's friend. Numerous other deaths of more distant relations on that side related to cancer.

A lot of people think that my experience with Cancer (Hodgkin's Lymphoma) is the most tramatic or whatever. They've sorta got a point since I'm the only one to have gone through Bone Marrow Transplant. I still think I've had it easy compared to most people. Anyway, you name the treatment category, I've prolly had it. Chemotherapy and Radiation and all that crap. The map of New York City (made of scars) on my chest is still incomplete, and I don't know if I can forgive the doctors for this oversight. I'm told that I made a pretty decent looking skinhead for awhile there, but I've since asked my wife and she doesn't want me to shave my head to get that look back.

I kinda miss the doorbell that I had installed on my chest. It was a catheter that sat under a thin layer of skin and was a brilliant device for weirding people out. It was located 1 inch below my collar bone, so all I had to do is pull my shirt down and there it was. What looked like a button made of human flesh sticking out 3/4 of an inch from my chest. Always managed to freak out roomates, etc. Great fun really. I miss it.

Overall, I have no intention of NOT making fun of my own cancer. It hasn't given ME any breaks, so my cancer asked to be made fun of and degraded. Its as simple as that. Other people's cancer can be taken seriously. I just keep myself out of obvious trouble. You know, not suntanning, not smoking (never have in my life), not going to work for a company that does contracts for asbestos removal. Yeah, the obvious stuff.

Wow. I admire you for your attitude toward your experience. Dang...

My whole experience:
My uncle John had cancer on the back of his tongue.
My Uncle Paul had some weird cancer that no one knows the name of.
My Aunt Marsha had breast cancer.
My G-grandma shuping had mouth cancer.
My Grandpa has cancer.
My other Grandpa has cancer.
My mom had melonoma, but I think surgery removed it.
I've had several moles removed for risk of it.

I found out that my geometry teachers dad died from esophagus cancer also. Ugh.

Jordan you know we joke a lot but I am gonna put on the serious hat here for a minute.

Cancer can be one of the worst things known to the people of this earth. I have lost three family members and a wonderful wing commander to cancer.

Starting with most recent

July 2004 - Virginia Wing Commander Col Timothy J. Cramer was hospitalized with complications from Chemotherapy he was taking for cancer. Later that day he passed away. Col Cramer and I may have had our screaming matches but he was a great gentleman, a wonderful leader and a person I am proud to consider a friend. This not only effected me personally but it effecting many members of the wing and region

2002 - Uncle Guy "Sox" Kelly passed away at his home after a short battle with cancer. This was real hard on my grandmother and unle bob as they had already lost a sister to cancer.

2001 - My Aunt Jan Schola was battling cancer of the throat for 5 years when she passed away from it. This was a great lose to our family

1993 - Aunt Betty Charpoliski - Passed from cancer can't remember many details as I was young.

Jordan I want you to know I will be praying for you and your family. You are like a sister to me and I Love You if you ever need to talk I don't care what time of the day or night it is our just need a shoulder to cry on you can call me.

Check PM for new number.

Back