Whats your ethnic background?

Religion and ethnicity is a private matter. You should only need to release the information if you so wish to. And no, you can't always tell the ethnicity of someone just by looking at their photo ID. Unless you are using the most general "Black," "White", "Asian," "Brown," which is so general it borders on meaningless.

Yes, the Israeli passport doesn't fly in many Muslim countries and not necessarily the fundamentalist ones either. Might be a political decision.

Religion and ethnicity is a private matter. You should only need to release the information if you so wish to. And no, you can't always tell the ethnicity of someone just by looking at their photo ID. Unless you are using the most general "Black," "White", "Asian," "Brown," which is so general it borders on meaningless.

Yes, the Israeli passport doesn't fly in many Muslim countries and not necessarily the fundamentalist ones either. Might be a political decision.

I agree...I've experienced it...Whenever I fly out of el paso texas most agents have no clue on what my ethnicity is, so of course they randomly guess, and always get it wrong, as if my ethnicity has "anything" to do with flying...sigh...I guess stereotyping will never go away..lol

Both Korean. I'm pure Korean, born on Korea, born to Korean parents. Unfortunately, my parents died and all I have left is my crazy brother who was last seen drinking rum in Indonesia.

+1...

It's not anyone's business what religion or ethnicity people are here. In my opinion.

It may not be, but the people that do not want to share it don't have to. Its a good way for people to get to know each other (=

Im American, but I sound like a Brit when I say some words.(music and family is why)

Half British(english, scottish, welsh, irish)
German
Dutch
Polish
Ukrainian
Russian
(possibly French and/or Belgian)
Filipino
Malayasian

Yup.

Both parents Indian. Having said that, on my dad's side they came from the Middle East somewhere originally...

So I'm that, plus Canadian and British/EU. That's what my passports tell me. and I'm applying for a OCI too (overseas Citizen of India).

My dad is Pakistani and my mum is Indonesian.

As for the ethnicity, I am listed as Malay in my National Registration Identity Card- all Singaporean needs to be registered- citizens, permanent residents, etc...

Kinda messy isn't it?

My dad is Pakistani and my mum is Indonesian.

As for the ethnicity, I am listed as Malay in my National Registration Identity Card- all Singaporean needs to be registered- citizens, permanent residents, etc...

Kinda messy isn't it?

Lol...rare mix....and yes very messy I should say ;) lol.....Isnt' Indonesia the #1 muslim country in the world??

I would think so, yes. My mum hailed from Sumatra, the northen isle of Indonesia- the city of Medan. I have been there a few times to meet my relatives from my Mum's side- well, at least they claimed to be related to my mum.

As for my dad, he was born in Penshawar. I have never been there, from what I've read in the papers, things are kinda "interesting" there, and I would like to give a miss till the situation kinda settle down like.

viper, my mom is the daughter of a Indian military officer, who was in the British army during WW2. They traveled all over the place and because of this she was born in a part of India that is now Pakistan. Kind of interesting in a way.

African American, both parents. My father's parents were of African decent, his mother was from the Dominican Republic and his father immigrated from France! My mother's parents were bother African American.

As I am researching my family tree I have found the following
Irish
Scots
English
Welsh
French
German
Norwegian
North African
Eastern Mediterranean
Now we have also some others from the other side of the pond covering most of America, I also wonder if Australian and New Zealanders count as well. Now as a family we are a Right bunch of mongrels.
Mind you I can go back to 1215 at moment

Last edited:
How many people on this forum know the difference between Ethnicity and Nationality?

Nationality refers to citizenship -- in other words, the nation we are a member of.

· Ethnicity, or ethnic identity, refers to membership in a particular cultural group. It is defined by shared cultural practises, including but not limited to holidays, food, language, and customs.

· People can share the same nationality but have different ethnic groups. For example, citizens of the United States are of many different ethnic backgrounds.

· People who share an ethnic identity can be of different nationalities. Turkish citizens of Turkey and Turkish citizens of Germany share an ethnic identity but are of different nationalities.

Last edited:
Back