Whats some good Vietnam quotes ??

Good Vietnam Quote

"Ultimately, it became necessary to destroy the village to save it..." Unknown Company Commander (I'd remember who it was if I wasn't TDY and away from my history books).

Just read it from Colonel Dave Hackworth's 'Steel My Soldiers' Hearts.'

"War is hell, but actual combat is a mother****er."
-In response to a reporter's attempt to interview him about a battle

I did a little research about this and found that many quotes about Viet Nam are anti-American anti-war sayings which were written by those who have never served and are false and unnaccurate, such as this one:
The draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from the red people.

White, Black, and Yellow Americans fought together and died together.

One of the greatest casualties of the war in Vietnam is the Great Society ... shot down on the battlefield of Vietnam.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

So Great Society is "shot down" because we bent over backwards to help the Cambodians and South Viet Namese and stop the spread of Communism? If that isn't Great Society I don't know what is.

What is the use of physicians like myself trying to help parents to bring up children healthy and happy, to have them killed in such numbers for a cause that is ignoble?

Its ignoble to help other people? We could have sat and watched as the Communists murdered everyone with ease. 2 million Cambodians were murdered because we pulled out of Viet Nam.

I did, however, find a few quotes I rather liked.

If, when the chips are down, the worlds most powerful nation, the United States of America, acts like a pitiful, helpless giant, the forces of totalitarianism and anarchy will threaten free nations and free institutions throughout the world.

Ricard Nixon

I couldn't have said it better myself Mr. Nixon.

I do not believe that the men who served in uniform in Vietnam have been given the credit they deserve. It was a difficult war against an unorthodox enemy.
William Westmoreland
You can't say enough about that.

Here's the site I found all those. http://www.worldofquotes.com/topic/Vietnam/1/index.html

One of the greatest casualties of the war in Vietnam is the Great Society ... shot down on the battlefield of Vietnam.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Just for point of reference, what Dr King as referring to was President Johnson's package of social welfare reforms and programs that was called "Great Society" (not sure if this is the same thing as the "War on Poverty", but I think it was). Because Lyndon Johnson tried to run a war on the cheap (no state of emergency or large scale mobilization of the Reserve Components) and enormously expand social welfare programs at the same time, the country kind of hit a finanacial crisis, but it's unclear how much money you have to have to make everyone happy, healthy and free from poverty. Actually, no it's not, as no one has that much money. People need jobs and a hand up, but certainly not hand outs (especially for life) :evil:

No apology required :!: One of the benefits (curses?) of having been around for a bit (as my son would say "Daddy, you're OLD!") is that you tend to have more historical perspective than most people (as in, I can remember when Lyndon Johnson was the President, we were fighting the Viet Nam War and when Dr. King was leading the Civil Rights Movement).

A lot of people haven't been around very long and our schools do not always do a very good job teaching modern history. A good book to gain some perspective on the times (and a great military work) is We Were Soldiers once and Young by Hal Moore. He discusses what happened to the US Army when Lyndon Johnson made the mistake of not declaring a state of emergency and mobilizing the Reserve Components.

kill 'em all and let god sort em out

marines dont die, they go to hell and regroup

i want to light this town like a christmas tree
F*ckin A Sir!

Its a positive affirmation :D

Entry: f***in' A

Defintion: F***ing assured, a boisterous affirmation.

"Is that your car?"
"****in-a! Isn't it sweet?"

Thanks to UrbanDictionary.com

Learn something new every day, huh Redneck :D

I don't think we care if it's positive or not. There are alternate ways to express approval with it being profane. Knock the swearing off period. I don't like reading asterisks.

FutureRANGER said:
Its a positive affirmation :D

Entry: f***in' A

Defintion: F***ing assured, a boisterous affirmation.

"Is that your car?"
"dang-a! Isn't it sweet?"

Thanks to UrbanDictionary.com

Learn something new every day, huh Redneck :D

I know what it means, FutureRANGER, my point is that it is being overused and "bleeping" part of an obscene word doesn't give one freedom to plaster the site with it with impunity. But all the same, I'm glad you had fun looking up the definition. :wink:

Borntokill, you wont be saying that if your ever in actual combat. Lay off the tough guy rhetoric, nobody respects it, and God knows nobody feels that way about war.

not to say the i tend to agree
but the converstation on the swaing and stuff .. someone made the comment about ..you dont curse in war.

i call BS on that one..
on some convoy ops when going up there i iraq.. we got lit up and the first thing i said was "holy F* sh**"
and pointed my 9 mm out the wndow. so yes its a proven fact that marines do curse in combat.. i can account for about 200 of us who did hat did.

:lol: Who said soldiers don't curse? Swearing like a sailor and cussing like a trooper wouldn't make much sense :lol: .

now

You can use the @#$%....but dont use it every 4 lines....(my shower thing aside...i mean, i was driven mad by the cold....)
Anyways, i agree with GuyontheRight. I dont remmember who said it but

"War is delightfull to those who have no exprience of it"

All the stories ive heard people never leave the field with a "kill them all all" attitude....Its good for frightend recruits, officers and NCOs know better.

GuyontheRight said:
Borntokill, you wont be saying that if your ever in actual combat. Lay off the tough guy rhetoric, nobody respects it, and God knows nobody feels that way about war.
your right, thats why i want to join, to know how it is ,and be able to say i was there, and be able to see it with my own eyes, not thru movies, i am also aware of the horrors of war.

Back