What's the NATO term for "clean up"?

premierxxx

Guys. I'm trying to figure out what is the nato term for city cleaning. When enemy left, or supposedly left, and army moves in, cleaning the area house to house. Here is a video of such operation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4eBSR3eHsQ

I'm trying to translate a video about Cleanup of Americans from Kyrgyzstan, not really sure whether to use term "cleanup" or something else.

I don't know of any specific NATO term for that. House to house clearing or area clearing are terms I've heard other than "Kill them all. Let God sort them out."

Big_Z is right. For the unwashed masses that don't know what "MOUT" means it's "Military Operations in Urban Terrain".

MOUT, FIBUA (Fighting In Built Up Areas), OIBUA (Operations In Built Up Areas), FISH (Fighting In Someone's House) are all terms that describe urban ops. Depends on the individual nations, really.

Yeah, it's not like there's the United States of America and then the United Countries of the Great Unknown. Each are independent countries. Each call things differently.

Now my friend that served in Nam told Me "Search & Sweep"

The United States military term for urban warfare is UO an abbreviation for Urban Operations.
The previously used US military term MOUT, an abbreviation for Military Operations in Urban Terrain,
has been replaced by UO, although the term MOUT Site is still in use.

The British military terms are OBUA (Operations in Built-Up Areas), or FIBUA (Fighting in Built-Up Areas),
or sometimes (colloquially) FISH (Fighting In Someone's House) or FISH and CHIPS (Fighting In Someone's
House and Causing Havoc In People's Streets).

The term FOFO (Fighting in Fortified Objectives) refers to clearing enemy personnel from narrow and entrenched
places like bunkers, trenches and strongholds; the dismantling of mines and wires; and the securing of footholds in enemy areas.

In WWII Canadians wrote the book on street-fighting. After the war, former tactics developed by Canadian troops in Ortona became
the manual for urban warfare. ...

RedNeck 13th is right Each country Calls it differently.

"Lets kill them All" Yeaupeeeeeeeeeeee sounds good to me Lmaooooooo!

Last edited:
This guy has expressed anti american sentiments on other threads. I think he's looking for a phrase like search and destroy back in Vietnam.

That term hasn't been used since... Vietnam. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it was changed to Sweep and Clear in that conflict itself so the whole "Search and Destroy" phrase didn't even survive the war. Officially anyway.

You missed the point redneck, he wants an unPC term like 'Search and Destroy' to put a bad light on the military. Why do you think they changed it to 'Search and Clear', and 'Killer groups' to 'Engagement groups'.

Back