Whats in a motto?

viper2007

As a new paratrooper, I was struck by all the T-shirts on base emblazoned with the motto "Death from above!" Later I noticed a submariner with a T-shirt that declared "Death from below!"
Then, standing in line for chow one day, I was served by an Army cook. His T-shirt had a skull with a crossed fork and spoon underneath and yet another warning: "Death from within!"

-retrieved from Reader's Digest

I was at a Remembrance Day parade once, and my mate pointed to a frail old guy with a chest full of medals and said; "See that old boy there? He is responsible for putting a whole battalion out of action in one day".
"WOW!" I replied "Was he in this SAS?"
"No, he was the cook in Aldershot Garrison!"

Remember the old saying

"Who called the cook a bastard?"

"Who called the bastard a cook?"

On exercise once, we had a night off and went for a few beers. One of the Squadron cooks had such a skin full we took the mattress off of his bed in case he threw up and choked, he was then laid face down.

At 5am he suddenly woke up and declared "I'm late for work", dragged his whites on, no wash, shower or brushing his teeth, then staggered out with the bed springs still imprinted on his face.

I got to the cook house for breakfast to see the cook (still with the bed springs imprinted on his face) frying the eggs, asked me "Want a egg?" I declined.:sick:

Last edited:
My worst experience in a cook house was when we served a baked spud with a blob of "butter" for tea.
The daft buggers didn't was the spuds and when the grease metled we had a muddy puddle in the plate!

Local chip shop was busy that night

My buddy said once, "Two things fall out the sky, bird crap and paratroopers."
What´s the difference? :hide:

My worst experience in a cook house was when we served a baked spud with a blob of "butter" for tea.
The daft buggers didn't was the spuds and when the grease metled we had a muddy puddle in the plate!

Local chip shop was busy that night
OR always complain about the food :(
I've always had good meals - in the officers' mess :mrgreen:

OR always complain about the food :(
I've always had good meals - in the officers' mess :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

Lucky you! :cheers:

When I was the National Cadet Corp, I held the rank of Cadet Lieutenant.

I remembered, just a few weeks after, being commissioned, I attended a camp at the 1st Singapore Infantry Regiment Camp. During the mealbreak, at lunch, I conviniently queued with the rest of the enlisted cadets for my lunch- quite forgetting my status now. Officers eat separately and they are served- as in any other army, I supposed.

I was approached by the Mess duty Sgt who told me, "Sir, you are requested to eat at the Officers table! This line is for the enlisted men, Sir".

I was like "oops, I forgot", But not wanting to look stupid (also a little bit of male macho bullsh!t), I told the duty sgt this, "Thats all right, sgt, I'll eat with the men, if thats okay with you...!" He gave me a long lasting look, and broke into a smile, and said." Thats fine with me, too, Sir".

Yeah, right... I suppose if one can bullsh!t, so can the other...

When I was the National Cadet Corp, I held the rank of Cadet Lieutenant.

I remembered, just a few weeks after, being commissioned, I attended a camp at the 1st Singapore Infantry Regiment Camp. During the mealbreak, at lunch, I conviniently queued with the rest of the enlisted cadets for my lunch- quite forgetting my status now. Officers eat separately and they are served- as in any other army, I supposed.

I was approached by the Mess duty Sgt who told me, "Sir, you are requested to eat at the Officers table! This line is for the enlisted men, Sir".

I was like "oops, I forgot", But not wanting to look stupid (also a little bit of male macho bullsh!t), I told the duty sgt this, "Thats all right, sgt, I'll eat with the men, if thats okay with you...!" He gave me a long lasting look, and broke into a smile, and said." Thats fine with me, too, Sir".

Yeah, right... I suppose if one can bullsh!t, so can the other...

Blimey, I should be calling you Sir. I was only a full screw.

No "only" about it!
Best rank in the Army!
Had more fun as a Corporal than at any other time.

Quite true, Trooper...

I had more fun when I was junior NCO when I was in the Cadet Corp. Then they had the silly notion that I was officer material- what a joke!

Last edited:
I was always told the most dangerous thing in the Army was an officer with a map :-D
(42 is going to point out he is a Royal Marine and not in the Army :-D)

Back