What's been going on in Iraq?

DTop

Here are some facts to ponder.

* 47 countries have re-established their embassies in Iraq.

* The Iraqi government currently employs 1.2 million Iraqi people.

* 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq.

* Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20 Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers, all currently operating.

* 25 Iraqi students departed for the United States in January 2005 for the re-established Fulbright program.

* The Iraqi Navy is operational. They have 5- 100-foot patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a naval infantry regiment.

* Iraq's Air Force consists of three operational squadrons, which includes 9 reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport aircraft (under Iraqi operational control) which operate day and night, and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 bell jet rangers.

* Iraq has a counter-terrorist unit and a Commando Battalion.

* The Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully trained and equipped police officers.

* There are 5 Police Academies in Iraq that produce over 3500 new officers each 8 weeks.

* There are more than 1100 building projects going on in Iraq. They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83 railroad stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69 electrical facilities.

* 96% of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have received the first 2 series of polio vaccinations.

* 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October.

* There are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq and phone use has gone up 158%.

* Iraq has an independent media that consist of 75 radio stations, 180 newspapers and 10 television stations.

* The Baghdad Stock Exchange opened in June of 2004.

* 2 candidates in the Iraqi presidential election had a televised debate recently.

Hard to believe for some people out there, huh? Don't believe the facts above? Verify them at www.dod.mil and www.mnf-iraq.com

I did an oral presentation about how Iraq was going multiple months ago. I got about a B+ despite my teachers and such being left wing. :D

Its good to hear that the country is getting better.

That's great! We are always seeing bombings and shootings and casualties on the news but we rarely see anyone reporting anything positive, this definitely paints a more complete picture and acknowledges the achievements by the US troops in Iraq.

Charge_7 said:
Thanks for that list of accomplishments, Top. Should give the naysayers something to chew on.

Yep, the naysayers will always remain the same. Negativity makes headlines and sells papers. Many media people (and others) choose to dwell on doom and gloom and to ignore signs of hope and accomplishment.
Reporting the positive aspects of the reconstruction efforts won't win them any prizes for journalism so these things aren't often found in the news. It's a shame but I think it's really that simple.

Interesting how little note in this thread has been made by our esteemed members of the opposing view. I guess if they can't b1tch, moan, tell lies and half truths it holds no interest for them.

Ah piss and moan for something that has happened but you can't change (i.e. no "do overs" in real life). So it's more attractive to complain about something you didn't like that's an accomplished fact. Not much interest in commenting on accomplished facts that nobody can argue with. Perhaps your time would be better spent complaining about something that isn't yesterday's news.

Charge_7 said:
Ah piss and moan for something that has happened but you can't change (i.e. no "do overs" in real life). So it's more attractive to complain about something you didn't like that's an accomplished fact. Not much interest in commenting on accomplished facts that nobody can argue with. Perhaps your time would be better spent complaining about something that isn't yesterday's news.

I still think that atack on iraq was mistake. any news on WMD? that was reason for atack, not re-establishing of embassys. if there was no atack embassys would not have to be re-established.

Charge_7 said:
Okay you picked one item. Care to address the other sixteen?

I am too lazy to write about all of those, but what I am sayin is that atack was mistake, but I am glad that some progres is made now. but it is still just atempt to correct one mistake. I hope iraqy people will take things in their own hands as soon it is possible.

you did not answer what happened with WMD? that was direct reason for atack.

I am too lazy to write about all of those

you did not answer what happened with WMD?

I'm not going to answer for your laziness by taking this discussion off topic. The point I made was clear. You have nothing to say against the accomplishments except that we shouldn't be there to begin with. Since you're too lazy to write about the other 16 achievements, how about this; how many of those do you think would be so if Saddam was still in power? How many would never be so if Saddam was still in power?

The thing is. This is what they show on the american news. They can easily make things up. To get a good glimpse of what it's really like you should watch a canadian documentary or neutral on the country.

Eagle, what are you smoking man? What besides mind altering drugs would make you think that just because a documentary comes from Canada that it is in any way, shape, or form neutral?
Oh and serbianpower, if you're too lazy to reply to anything more current then stay out of my thread.

If I may, the American media does not cover the good stuff that is going on in Iraq. US Media = 90% liberal = generally bad views on Iraq. The NY Times is notorious for negative reporting on Iraq. If 9 good things and 1 bad thing happened in Iraq, I can assure you the 1 bad thing will be reported while nothing will be said about the good things.

How do I know? I was in Iraq and my mom would send me local news papers to let me know what is going back home. Reading the Iraq articles were quite interesting but only told half the story. There be more than bombings going on in Iraq.

Once back home I showed people pictures of Baghdad. Most people were shocked to see people smiling and interacting with me. The press makes Baghdad look like bomb ridden streets filled with american hating AK 47 toting insurgents.

Back