What are your opinions?

Boobies

New U.S. bill eyes country-by-country action plans for democracy

Friday, March 4, 2005 at 12:39 JST
WASHINGTON — Bipartisan lawmakers submitted Thursday a global democracy promotion bill in both the Senate and the House of Representatives, mandating the creation of country-by-country action plans tailored to each "non-democratic" state.
The legislation comes after President George W Bush vowed in his second-term inaugural speech in January to spread freedom and democracy around the world with the "ultimate goal" of ending tyranny.
The ADVANCE Democracy Act would establish freedom and democracy as fundamental components of U.S. foreign policy. ADVANCE is an acronym for the bill's full title.
The bill focuses on creating positions and offices in the State Department for democracy advancement, notably a senior Under Secretary for Global Affairs, who would be mandated to advocate democracy and fundamental freedoms around the world.
It would establish the Office of Democracy Movements and Transitions and separate Regional Democracy Hubs as contact points for democracy activists around the world.
The State Department is obliged to prepare an annual report on democracy along with an action democracy-promotion plan under the bill. U.S. embassies are to be fashioned as "islands of freedom."
"The promotion of democracy and freedom is simply inseparable from the long term security of the U.S.," said Senr John McCain, pointing to the recent fall of non-democratic governments in the Ukraine and Lebanon.
"It basically says that America has a national purpose, defined in our Declaration of Independence, that we're all endowed equally by our Creator with those rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That's America's work at home, but it's also America's work abroad," said Sen Joseph Lieberman, another bill sponsor.
"In the debate between realists and idealists," said Lieberman, the bill puts U.S. foreign policy "squarely on the side of idealism." (Wire reports)

Great just what we need a new religion that comes knocking on our doors only this time asking us if we want to convert to the American version of "democracy" followed presumably by a cruise missle attack and a bunch of tanks if we dont agree.

Now theres democracy in action.

My suggestion would be that the US should spend a lot more of its time and money solving its own inequities (social welfare, homeless and developing class system) and less time trying to "Americanise" the world.

Fortunately for us all we only have 3.5 more years of Bush evangelism.

on this forum i have seen a number of member comment "europe/the world should mind it's own business and stay out of our election"

the US does not have the best for of democracy, they are not the holy grail of society, and if it was me i would be having a wee break from "expoting freedom" for the next 10 years or so. or the potential is there for them to be seen as the new "evil empire"

(although i would dearly love to see robert mugabe removed from power)

the US does not have the best for of democracy, they are not the holy grail of society, and if it was me i would be having a wee break from "expoting freedom" for the next 10 years or so. or the potential is there for them to be seen as the new "evil empire"

The ideal of "Exporting freedom" is the biggest mistake because it is essentially done at gun point which kind of defeats the whole ideal, the only real answer to creating freedom and security world wide is through education and a reduction in poverty not through force.

k

I believe this policy can lead to lot of chaos. I think this policy is to stir up lot of angers towards targeted governements. This policy is to bring down Nations or States and their infrastructures.

O this makes sense, creating a bill that would basicly justify the American Invasion of every nation that doesn't fit our mold for a 'democratic' nation.

I agree with all of you. The US should stay home and start taking care of it's own people. This means no Peace Keeping Missions, No diasaster relief missions, No foreign aid Nada, nothing , zip, zilch, bupkiss. All the money we spend on those things could be better spent at home.

We need to say World your on your own! ;)

It looks like Communism export of the Cold War in reverse. :shock:

But Boobie, which newspaper reported this? What's the link?

Frankly, it is difficult to believe even though it might be true.

Hi,

But Boobie, which newspaper reported this? What's the link?

This is really strange .............. Only a Couple of Japanese and South Korean Newspapers reported this :roll:

Japan Today: New U.S. bill eyes country-by-country action plans for democracy

And the reast of the world played it down............ not even a mention in other newspapers.

Source:CNS News

Bill Promotes Democracy as Key Element of US Foreign Policy
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Morning Editor
March 03, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - Democracy is breaking out all over, even on Capitol Hill: A bipartisan bill introduced in both the House and Senate on Thursday proclaims that the promotion of democracy, freedom and fundamental rights is an essential element of U.S. foreign policy.

The measure also would boost State Department efforts to promote democracy, particularly in non-democratic countries. And it would require a study of how the U.S. is assisting other nations develop along democratic lines.

Senators John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.) are introducing the ADVANCE Democracy Act of 2005 in the Senate; and Representatives Frank Wolf (R-Va.) and Tom Lantos (D-Calif.) are introducing it in the House.

The lawmakers will hold a press conference on Thursday to discuss details of the ADVANCE Democracy Act.

Earlier, in an appearance on Fox & Friends, Sen. Lieberman said the bill "aims to build on the remarkable transformation beginning with the collapse of the Berlin Wall, but now happening in a similar way in the Middle East."

According to Lieberman, the bill basically says that America has a "national purpose" -- as defined in the Declaration of Independence - and America should be working to advance those ideals abroad as well as at home.

He said the bill would create positions in the State Department that are totally focused on spreading the ideal of democracy. "Let's back it up with money," he added, "to make our embassies throughout the world what we're calling in this bill 'islands of freedom,' islands of democracy.'"

Asked about recent positive developments in the Middle East - that happened on President Bush's watch - Lieberman said he not only admits it, but applauds it and supports it.

"I argue with my fellow Democrats, this ought not to be about politics of partisanship," Lieberman said.

He said people ought to remember that the foreign policy of the Bush administration is America's foreign policy, first and foremost.

ADVANCE stands for "Advance Democratic Values, Address Nondemocratic Countries and Enhance (ADVANCE) Democracy Act of 2005."

Peace
-=SF-13=-

"It looks like Communism export of the Cold War in reverse."

Yeah, _complete_ reverse. The right to self determination for all instead of being under the direct control of Moscow or Peking.

Charge_7

It is tendency for the American politicans to step on others backs with its "Democratic Labled" Combat boots, if you put it that way.

Self determination and freedom is "stepping on others backs"? Only those of despots and slavemasters.

Charge_7 said:
Self determination and freedom is "stepping on others backs"? Only those of despots and slavemasters.

is citizens in western world (including canada ) truly free?

at least me and my buddies can do nothing when our provincial government decides to increase tax and cut social programs...

ya..we can refuse to vote for them next time..but we have already suffered for 3 years and we can do nothing...

am i really free?

That's right, Chewie, self determination. If after being freed from despots they decide to establish something of their own for their government, they can do so as is happening now in Iraq. Democracy cannot be thrust upon people, neither can it be legislated into being. The policy is to promote democracy and work more strongly to enable it's existence. I think some of you are taking this just a bit too literally and supposing that we will just march into any country we see fit and establish puppet governments. "Hommie don't play that" to coin a phrase.

Look at Iraq right now. I disagreed with the invasion; not because I liked Saddam Hussein, but I didn’t buy Mr Bush’s rationale for invasion. Had he come out up front and said, “Look, that boy just done needed a whuppin’”, I could have gotten behind that. And I consider myself a liberal.

That being said, you got to hand it to Dubya: he promised elections, he gave them elections. He broke the Sunni-minority Ba‘athist hegemony, and allowed for majority rule. He didn’t fix the election (like say in Belarus or Ukraine) to get his hand-picked buddy elected; and when he didn’t get elected, the only thing I heard from the White House was some surprise and disappointment, but no sabre-rattling, threats, or nullification of the results. Dubya seems to be respecting the principles of democracy he's purporting to instal. He doesn’t seem to be following the Reagan-era foreign policy that said democracy equals non-communist. I believe the US issued a statement re the takeover of Nepal by its king – even though he’s fighting Maoists. It will be interesting to see if the Bush Administration will put pressure as well on the USA’s traditional allies who may be somewhat, ah, restrictive.

Some of the mistrust directed toward American foreign policy seems to stem partly from its history of supporting almost any regime – so long as it wasn’t communist. Look at Batista, Somoza, Pinochet, the Contras, Marcos, the Shah… It also doesn’t help mutual understanding when the median of political thought in America seems to come down somewhat farther to the right than that of her traditional allies in Canada and Europe.

The Americans are right: when they don’t intervene in a hot spot, they’re called navel-gazing isolationists. When they do intervene, everyone else gets sore that they weren’t consulted.

I hope that the primary means that the US “exports democracy” is through economic and diplomatic pressure. I know Syria seems to be on the verge of wetting its dictatorial pants, and Uncle Sam hasn’t so much as lobbed one across its bow yet.

I just hope that someone decides something needs to be done in Darfur before it becomes another Rwanda…if it hasn’t already.

BTW: Does this ADVANCE (boy, you Americans love your acronyms, dontcha?) bill state which particular nations have been deemed “non-democratic”? I hope they don’t decide that John Paul II is a “dictator-for-life” and needs to be taken out. :)

2nd BTW: Why the heck hasn’t the US done the shock-and-awe topple-the-tin-pot schtick in Cuba, once and for all?

J.

SigPig said:
Look at Iraq right now. I disagreed with the invasion; not because I liked Saddam Hussein, but I didn’t buy Mr Bush’s rationale for invasion. Had he come out up front and said, “Look, that boy just done needed a whuppin’”, I could have gotten behind that. And I consider myself a liberal.

That being said, you got to hand it to Dubya: he promised elections, he gave them elections. He broke the Sunni-minority Ba‘athist hegemony, and allowed for majority rule. He didn’t fix the election (like say in Belarus or Ukraine) to get his hand-picked buddy elected; and when he didn’t get elected, the only thing I heard from the White House was some surprise and disappointment, but no sabre-rattling, threats, or nullification of the results. Dubya seems to be respecting the principles of democracy he's purporting to instal. He doesn’t seem to be following the Reagan-era foreign policy that said democracy equals non-communist. I believe the US issued a statement re the takeover of Nepal by its king – even though he’s fighting Maoists. It will be interesting to see if the Bush Administration will put pressure as well on the USA’s traditional allies who may be somewhat, ah, restrictive.

Some of the mistrust directed toward American foreign policy seems to stem partly from its history of supporting almost any regime – so long as it wasn’t communist. Look at Batista, Somoza, Pinochet, the Contras, Marcos, the Shah… It also doesn’t help mutual understanding when the median of political thought in America seems to come down somewhat farther to the right than that of her traditional allies in Canada and Europe.

The Americans are right: when they don’t intervene in a hot spot, they’re called navel-gazing isolationists. When they do intervene, everyone else gets sore that they weren’t consulted.

I hope that the primary means that the US “exports democracy” is through economic and diplomatic pressure. I know Syria seems to be on the verge of wetting its dictatorial pants, and Uncle Sam hasn’t so much as lobbed one across its bow yet.

I just hope that someone decides something needs to be done in Darfur before it becomes another Rwanda…if it hasn’t already.

BTW: Does this ADVANCE (boy, you Americans love your acronyms, dontcha?) bill state which particular nations have been deemed “non-democratic”? I hope they don’t decide that John Paul II is a “dictator-for-life” and needs to be taken out. :)

2nd BTW: Why the heck hasn’t the US done the shock-and-awe topple-the-tin-pot schtick in Cuba, once and for all?

J.

good points sig....couldn't agree more

Back