What is your Favorite Knife? - Page 6

--

August 4th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
So you have the Gurkhas' as a police in Singapore? I hope you behave, Viper.

Did the Gurkhas ever served in Europe during the First World War?
Indeed they did 13, they served on the battlefields of France in the Loos, Givenchy, Neuve Chapelle and Ypres area's. Tremendously brave blokes. I am extremely glad they are on our side.

Many people think the Ghurkha's are short arses, I saw one in Germany who had to be over 6 foot and built like a brick outhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2007
You are on the dot about the officers leading these fine bunch of men, Opa Brit...

My dad used to have a kukri knife. It was given to him by a Gurkha inspector for something that my dad had done for the group (I could not recalled what exactly. He was in the Marine Police, what is now known as the Police Coast Guard). It had a Police crest emborsed on it. and the scabbard was made of cowhide leather. I remembered my dad showing it to us when we were young. These items are now considered as restricted under the law.

I still remember that knife as mean looking...
WOW that's a bit of a collectors item now Viper, do you know what happened to it?

I bought a pair of Kukri's for my Dad when I was in Singapore, its a pity that I have no idea what happened to them.
August 4th, 2012  
viper2007

Quote:
So you have the Gurkhas' as a police in Singapore? I hope you behave, Viper.

Did the Gurkhas ever served in Europe during the First World War?
Well, I have not been caught yet, I am happy to say...

Actually, dealing with them is a lot like dealing with the English, The Gurkha man like his food, somewhat a lot like Indian food, he likes his liquor, usually whiskey or beer, and they are a jolly humorous lot. I would think that I will get along well with them... Jolly Good!

The Gurkhas have served in every conflict the British were involved, though I am bot too sure about Korea... maybe someone will have better information on that...
August 4th, 2012  
viper2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Indeed they did 13, they served on the battlefields of France in the Loos, Givenchy, Neuve Chapelle and Ypres area's. Tremendously brave blokes. I am extremely glad they are on our side.

Many people think the Ghurkha's are short arses, I saw one in Germany who had to be over 6 foot and built like a brick outhouse.

WOW that's a bit of a collectors item now Viper, do you know what happened to it?

I bought a pair of Kukri's for my Dad when I was in Singapore, its a pity that I have no idea what happened to them.
Oh..., my dad actually donated it to the Police Museum...
--
August 4th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Quote:

Actually, dealing with them is a lot like dealing with the English, The Gurkha man like his food, somewhat a lot like Indian food, he likes his liquor, usually whiskey or beer, and they are a jolly humorous lot. I would think that I will get along well with them... Jolly Good!

The Gurkhas have served in every conflict the British were involved, though I am bot too sure about Korea... maybe someone will have better information on that...
I'm not sure Viper, I'll try and find some information if they did serve in Korea.
August 4th, 2012  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:

Only a question of time, Viper

I read somewhere there are Gurkhas serving in the Indian army as well.
August 4th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Quote:

That's correct, under some weird agreement a number of Ghurkha's had to serve with India.
August 4th, 2012  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
That's correct, under some weird agreement a number of Ghurkha's had to serve with India.

Is it a mark/insignia on the "real" kukri knife the Ghurkhas have and not on the kukri knife the civilians can buy?

If you remove the two H from the word Ghurkha, you get the Swedish word for cucumber, and both are pronounced more or less the same
August 4th, 2012  
George

Quote:

If you remove the two H from the word Ghurkha, you get the Swedish word for cucumber, and both are pronounced more or less the same
We have Gurkin(sp?) pickles here.
Quote:
Indira Ghandi would have been better off with them as bodyguards....
August 4th, 2012  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Is it a mark/insignia on the "real" kukri knife the Ghurkhas have and not on the kukri knife the civilians can buy?

As far as I am aware military issue Kukri's are different from those civilians can buy, but to be honest I'm not an expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
We have Gurkin(sp?) pickles here.

Indira Ghandi would have been better off with them as bodyguards....
Absolutely, in my opinion the Ghurkha's are among the best troops/fighters in the world, on top of that they are fiercely loyal. Their motto is if my memory is correct, "Better to die then be a coward."
August 4th, 2012  
viper2007

Quote:

Well, I have been always a step ahead, my friend...

You may find this article interesting for reading pleasure...-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha

How they (the Gurkha) end up serving with the British was an interesting point. But they actually start serving with the British Army in India, no the the British Army per se. When the British withdrew from India, some wree retained by the new Inidan Army and some followed the British Army back to UK, but never really based in England till much later on. They were scattered all over the British Colonies, Singapore being one of them, Hong Kong is another.

Makes quite intyeresting reading, actually...