What is your Favorite Knife?

As far as I am aware military issue Kukri's are different from those civilians can buy, but to be honest I'm not an expert.

Absolutely, in my opinion the Ghurkha's are among the best troops/fighters in the world, on top of that they are fiercely loyal. Their motto is if my memory is correct, "Better to die then be a coward."

The Kukri knife that is issued to every Gurkha personnel iin the Singapore police force is rather symbolic to denote or identify them as a member of the Ghurka Contingent. From what I understand, the commissioning of the officers are bestowed by the Commisionner of Police, Singapore, rather than by the President. But the pay and benefits enjoyed by the members of the Ghurkha contigent are the same as the local policemen in Singapore. But once they finish their term of service, they have to return back to Nepal. I believe thats the agreement. They, however, enjoyed a lifetime pension, equivalent to that which a local would draw. From what I understand, that is pretty luxurious in Nepal itself...

Their children goes to our local school. Some of the teenage girls are pretty good looking, but I can tell you, none of the local boys would want to mess with them,,,

And the strory of the kukri, once drawned, needs to "taste" blood before it is returned to the scabbard, is actually a myth... The Gurkha startyed it to impress the Brits... :pirate:

I thought I add this for fun-

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLS3RGesIFQ"]Crocodile Dundee - That's not a knife - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
We have Gurkin(sp?) pickles here.

Indira Ghandi would have been better off with them as bodyguards....

Gurkin is a brand of pickles, right? When I read the word gurkin, I think it is a combination of two Swedish words. The word pickled in Swedish is inlagd and the word for cucumber is Gurka (singular) Gurkor (plural). I have seen Swedish words in Minnesota and sometimes they are adjusted to the English language. A lot of people in MN with a Swedish ancestry and when the time passes by and new generations are coming, the old world language adjust.

How many are the Gurkhas today?

Funny though Nepalese who work in India are stereotyped as watchmen,in many parts here watchmen/night guards are called as gurkhas,this may be because large number of gurkhas has taken up the jobs of watchmen.
However Gurkhas is derived from Guru Gorakhnath the Hindu saint.
Former Chief Indian Army Sam Manekshaw famously said" If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha."
There are 7 Gorkha regiments in Indian Army.

Funny though Nepalese who work in India are stereotyped as watchmen,in many parts here watchmen/night guards are called as gurkhas,this may be because large number of gurkhas has taken up the jobs of watchmen.
However Gurkhas is derived from Guru Gorakhnath the Hindu saint.
Former Chief Indian Army Sam Manekshaw famously said" If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha."
There are 7 Gorkha regiments in Indian Army.

Well, zhaldev, correct me if I am wrong in this- but originally these people were called Ghorkhas....

Nowadays, these highly trained men were in high demand by the PMCs for security works.

A butter knife... spreads my Marmite and margarine very well on my several pieces of toast...

Speaking of toast... that'd be good right about now. (Goes and gets toast.)

HHGTTG_BreadKnifeCap3.jpg

Patent pending but I already called it.:cool:

Well, zhaldev, correct me if I am wrong in this- but originally these people were called Ghorkhas....

Nowadays, these highly trained men were in high demand by the PMCs for security works.

Yes you are right Gurkha\Gorkhas is an ethnic community from east-west Nepal and also has a sizable community in Darjeeling(India),Their name derives from the Hindu saint Guru Gorakhnath.
like you said they are highly trained and in demand however due to Bollywood and its depiction of Gorkhas as doorman or watchmen has led to this stereotype.

I reckon there should be a few war movies made on true Ghurkha exploits, they were/are amazing troops and brilliant jungle fighters, not bloody doormen.

I reckon there should be a few war movies made on true Ghurkha exploits, they were/are amazing troops and brilliant jungle fighters, not bloody doormen.

Too bloody right they should, Opa Brit.

Only problem, they will get the likes of Brad Pitt, Jason Statham, people like that to play the roles....

I seriously think that they should do that- made a movie of these people acts of valour...

Too bloody right they should, Opa Brit.

Only problem, they will get the likes of Brad Pitt, Jason Statham, people like that to play the roles....

I seriously think that they should do that- made a movie of these people acts of valour...

Serving soldiers are usually used as extra's in films, a Bridge Too Far comes to mind as well as Virgin Soldiers made in Singapore when I was there is another. I think Jason Statham would make a good choice depicting a Ghurka Officer.

Quite a bit of "Newsreel" taken during the war in North Africa was staged and not taken "as it happened."

As a matter of interest Brad Pitt was chosen to play a Gypsy in the film "Snatch," because he couldn't get the English accent right for another character in the film. Well that's what I've been told.

And if they do a remake of Dad's Army, then you two could probably play the main characters!
:hide:

Back