What is your Favorite Knife?

My first tour at Ft Bragg this subject came up. There seemed to be a general consensus among the “old time” SF soldiers that large knives were not good. They liked a 4“-5” blade knife to carry on their outer harness and a folding knife on their trousers belt (this was before multi-tools). They also thought carrying expensive knifes (Randal, etc) was not very smart. Knifes costing much less were just as good and when you lost them (which happens) you haven’t lost so much.

I remember after the movie Rambo came out many guys showed up at the SF Qualification course with knifes like were seen in the movie and caused many problems for the instructors, they seemed to believe knifes this size were only good for cutting down trees - and an axe or hatchet was better for that.

The bottom line is quality, mid range costing knifes and smaller blades. I don’t ever remember seeing a vet SF soldier carrying a K-bar.

Today I would have to go with a good multi-tool.

I bought a full priced K Bar years ago, maybe has only been out of the box twice.

More of a novelty item to me.

My favorite all around knife, which as mentioned, has diminished use for me personally since aquiring my leatherman.

Is my Gerber pocket knife with the handgun like "saftey" lock on it. Which is useful although I don't really notice the difference between that and a standard locking pocket knife.

But it's a cool 4 inches, heavy metal frame, only bad thing is it takes brake cleaner and lava to get sand out of the spring loaded mechanism if you happen fall out the boat while fishing a shallow river....

My favorit is the KA-BAR.
I'm looking into buying one of those seal knives (see Redlegs link) for when I go diving this summer. 8)

QFT. Kabar is amazing.

For cooking, I like this chef's knife my mother handed down to me. Not as extreme as a Kabar but it cuts chicken up sooo easily.

I hate knives, I only have to look at one and I start to bleed. I nearly severed two fingers off of my right hand trying to open a bubble pack of batteries with a knife.

http://www.sitemason.com/files/kCplXa/kukri.jpg
For
EDIT: Found exactly the Knife I'd want up there.

a big blade, I'd take a Kukri over just about anything. I'd get it custom made, Damascas steel prolly. Something that will take quite a beating. A Roman Gladius is wouldn't be a bad choice either, but it would be a bit larger. One of those two would be excellent for situation where I've got no gun or I'm out of ammo. The Kukri also is great for hacking your way through underbrush and chopping down small trees, so its a great all-around thing to have with you.

Small blade, there are lots that I like and I'd have a lot of shopping to do.
I have a Kukri that reportedly was used by a SF guy in Vietnam.

I have a Kukri that reportedly was used by a SF guy in Vietnam.

Modern kukri blades are often forged from leaf springs collected from recycled truck suspensions, I also heard/read somewhere that they were also made from old railway tracks. How true this is I don't know.

All Gurkha troops are issued the kukri, and in modern times in the Brigade of Gurkhas, they receive training in its use. The kukri gained fame in the Gurkha War for its effectiveness. Its continued use through both World War I and World War II enhanced its reputation among both Allied troops and enemy forces. During the Second World War, the kukri was purchased and used by other British, Commonwealth, and U.S. troops training in India, including the Chindits and Merrill's Marauders. It was also standard issue for Canadian scouts and snipers in North-West Europe.The reputation of the Gurkha with his kukri carried on through Falklands War.

On September 2, 2010, Mr. Bishnu Shrestha, alone and armed only with a kukri, defeated 30 bandits who attacked a passenger train he was on in India, killing three bandits, wounding eight more and forcing the rest of the band to flee.

I was not aware however, that Gurkha's are part of the Singapore police.

Last edited:
Modern kukri blades are often forged from leaf springs collected from recycled truck suspensions, I also heard/read somewhere that they were also made from old railway tracks. How true this is I don't know.

All Gurkha troops are issued the kukri, and in modern times in the Brigade of Gurkhas, they receive training in its use. The kukri gained fame in the Gurkha War for its effectiveness. Its continued use through both World War I and World War II enhanced its reputation among both Allied troops and enemy forces. During the Second World War, the kukri was purchased and used by other British, Commonwealth, and U.S. troops training in India, including the Chindits and Merrill's Marauders. It was also standard issue for Canadian scouts and snipers in North-West Europe.The reputation of the Gurkha with his kukri carried on through Falklands War.

On September 2, 2010, Mr. Bishnu Shrestha, alone and armed only with a kukri, defeated 30 bandits who attacked a passenger train he was on in India, killing three bandits, wounding eight more and forcing the rest of the band to flee.

I was not aware however, that Gurkha's are part of the Singapore police.

Yes, we do... It is called the Gurkha Contingent. It is within the Singapore Police Force. You may this wikipedia article useful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha_Contingent

There are about 2000 of them serving in the force. The simple reason for their existance in Singapore is because the govt saw their effectiveness nad they can be an impartial in any potential racial situation, considering our multi racial make-up. Interestingly, their Commanding Officer is British.

Yes, we do... It is called the Gurkha Contingent. It is within the Singapore Police Force. You may this wikipedia article useful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha_Contingent

There are about 2000 of them serving in the force. The simple reason for their existance in Singapore is because the govt saw their effectiveness nad they can be an impartial in any potential racial situation, considering our multi racial make-up. Interestingly, their Commanding Officer is British.

I bet the criminals give up when he /she see's the Gurkha's. The Gurkha's were traditionally officered by the British. Talking to a fella who fought alongside the Gurkha's during WW2 stated that any British officer in charge of them had to prove himself in battle, once he had proven himself they would follow him to hell and back. I've got a hell of a lot of respect for them, fantastic troops.

I bet the criminals give up when he /she see's the Gurkha's. The Gurkha's were traditionally officered by the British. Talking to a fella who fought alongside the Gurkha's during WW2 stated that any British officer in charge of them had to prove himself in battle, once he had proven himself they would follow him to hell and back. I've got a hell of a lot of respect for them, fantastic troops.

You are on the dot about the officers leading these fine bunch of men, Opa Brit...

My dad used to have a kukri knife. It was given to him by a Gurkha inspector for something that my dad had done for the group (I could not recalled what exactly. He was in the Marine Police, what is now known as the Police Coast Guard). It had a Police crest emborsed on it. and the scabbard was made of cowhide leather. I remembered my dad showing it to us when we were young. These items are now considered as restricted under the law.

I still remember that knife as mean looking...

You are on the dot about the officers leading these fine bunch of men, Opa Brit...

My dad used to have a kukri knife. It was given to him by a Gurkha inspector for something that my dad had done for the group (I could not recalled what exactly. He was in the Marine Police, what is now known as the Police Coast Guard). It had a Police crest emborsed on it. and the scabbard was made of cowhide leather. I remembered my dad showing it to us when we were young. These items are now considered as restricted under the law.

So you have the Gurkhas' as a police in Singapore? I hope you behave, Viper.

Did the Gurkhas ever served in Europe during the First World War?

Indeed they did 13, they served on the battlefields of France in the Loos, Givenchy, Neuve Chapelle and Ypres area's. Tremendously brave blokes. I am extremely glad they are on our side.

Many people think the Ghurkha's are short arses, I saw one in Germany who had to be over 6 foot and built like a brick outhouse.

WOW that's a bit of a collectors item now Viper, do you know what happened to it?

I bought a pair of Kukri's for my Dad when I was in Singapore, its a pity that I have no idea what happened to them.

Last edited:

Well, I have not been caught yet, I am happy to say...

Actually, dealing with them is a lot like dealing with the English, The Gurkha man like his food, somewhat a lot like Indian food, he likes his liquor, usually whiskey or beer, and they are a jolly humorous lot. I would think that I will get along well with them... Jolly Good!

The Gurkhas have served in every conflict the British were involved, though I am bot too sure about Korea... maybe someone will have better information on that...

Indeed they did 13, they served on the battlefields of France in the Loos, Givenchy, Neuve Chapelle and Ypres area's. Tremendously brave blokes. I am extremely glad they are on our side.

Many people think the Ghurkha's are short arses, I saw one in Germany who had to be over 6 foot and built like a brick outhouse.

WOW that's a bit of a collectors item now Viper, do you know what happened to it?

I bought a pair of Kukri's for my Dad when I was in Singapore, its a pity that I have no idea what happened to them.

Oh..., my dad actually donated it to the Police Museum...

Actually, dealing with them is a lot like dealing with the English, The Gurkha man like his food, somewhat a lot like Indian food, he likes his liquor, usually whiskey or beer, and they are a jolly humorous lot. I would think that I will get along well with them... Jolly Good!

The Gurkhas have served in every conflict the British were involved, though I am bot too sure about Korea... maybe someone will have better information on that...

I'm not sure Viper, I'll try and find some information if they did serve in Korea.

Only a question of time, Viper :)

I read somewhere there are Gurkhas serving in the Indian army as well.

That's correct, under some weird agreement a number of Ghurkha's had to serve with India.

Is it a mark/insignia on the "real" kukri knife the Ghurkhas have and not on the kukri knife the civilians can buy?

If you remove the two H from the word Ghurkha, you get the Swedish word for cucumber, and both are pronounced more or less the same

Is it a mark/insignia on the "real" kukri knife the Ghurkhas have and not on the kukri knife the civilians can buy?

If you remove the two H from the word Ghurkha, you get the Swedish word for cucumber, and both are pronounced more or less the same

As far as I am aware military issue Kukri's are different from those civilians can buy, but to be honest I'm not an expert.

We have Gurkin(sp?) pickles here.

Indira Ghandi would have been better off with them as bodyguards....

Absolutely, in my opinion the Ghurkha's are among the best troops/fighters in the world, on top of that they are fiercely loyal. Their motto is if my memory is correct, "Better to die then be a coward."

Last edited:
Only a question of time, Viper :)

I read somewhere there are Gurkhas serving in the Indian army as well.

Well, I have been always a step ahead, my friend...

You may find this article interesting for reading pleasure...-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha

How they (the Gurkha) end up serving with the British was an interesting point. But they actually start serving with the British Army in India, no the the British Army per se. When the British withdrew from India, some wree retained by the new Inidan Army and some followed the British Army back to UK, but never really based in England till much later on. They were scattered all over the British Colonies, Singapore being one of them, Hong Kong is another.

Makes quite intyeresting reading, actually...

Back