What is your favorite firearm? #2

Redneck

What's your favorite firearm? Preferably one that you have some experience with, but any one that you want to use works to. Please elaborate, seeing as I couldn't really be much more specific with the options than this without going on for several pages.

Personally, my favorite is my own .30-30 Model 94 Winchester lever action. It's the most enjoyable firearm I've ever used, and that includes the M16, M240B, M249, M203, and the M9. It's extremely accurate and well-balanced, and has been proven by almost 150 years of use (not mine, but the design haha). It also packs a pretty serious punch and has good range (I usually only use it around 150-300 yards, but have made longer shots without any difficulties).

well basically the only gun ive shot is my brothers rifle that he had but sold it since he went into the marines...i shot only 1 shot cause i was scared of shooting it lol :p

I would wanna shoot a m4.m16,MP5 any kind, M249 :p

i like the mp5's cause there compact....i have one!! but its not real lol its a airsoft gun but i like the compactness of the mp5's even the a4 with the solid stock

OOH, hard question as there are so many categories :!:

1. Pistol - Glock 21 or a CZ75. Both very nice weapons, especially for service weapons and I had some the best shot groups ever with both of them.

2. Submachine gun - M3A1. Can't beat the old grease gun for shear slamming .45 cal fun (the last time I fried one, I had some pretty good 3-4 round shot groups at 25 and 30 meters).

3. Rifle - M16A1 (most familiar with this one). Maybe not the bestr wervice weapon anyone ever came up with, but good to go.

4. Machine Gun - M2HB. Nothing beats the old .50 cal for sustained firepower, noise and punch. You have to love the way the tracers arc away after hitting (and going thru) the target.

5. Larger calibers - M109 (any model) 155mm howitzer or the M110A2 203mm howitzer - especially at Charges 8, 8 Super or 9. Have to love the noise and blast.

8)

Haha, sounds fun. Do you know if we still have any canister, flechette, or equivalent rounds in the inventory? I always figured a 155mm shotgun would be a nice thing to have come goose season, to heck with decoys and waiting for the dang things to decide to come down. :lol:

The only AP rounds I know of now is the 105mm flechette. the M1 doesn't have a dedicated AP round and neither does the M109 series (unless you count an HE round with a time fuze set to zero AKA Killer Junior!) :twisted:

like i said

Like i said,Israel has a round withe six main explosive fragments and a lot smaller fragments....good against Inf, Light Armour, Choppers...

Re: like i said

sherman105 said:
Like i said,Israel has a round withe six main explosive fragments and a lot smaller fragments....good against Inf, Light Armour, Choppers...

Are you talking about the flechette for Merkava??

Don't like that one at all!!
That one has been used a couple of times too much against Norwegian soldiers in Lebanon... :?

Thank God that the Merkava gunner used HEAT (by mistake.. :?: ) and not Flechette when three shells hit 7-20 meters away from a patrol from my company.. :shock:

I know I'm a bit :eek:fftopic: now, but Flechette is something I think that should be uninvented!

Redneck: In answer to your question - yes, setting the fuze to zero is extremely dangerous and is only done is real world emergencies (as in the bad guys are about to over run your position and have to be stopped now :!: ) and you can't duck Killer Junior like you can a flechette round.

All time fuzes have a built in 3 second delay before they function as a safety (so they can clear the tube), but you run the risk of the base of the round hitting you if the round goes off within 300 meters of your position.

BTW, the P90 Personal Defense Weapon is made by FN and fires a special 5.7mm high velocity cartridge developed for it (not a .357 magnum) and is properly classed as an advanced submachine gun. FN also developed a pistol that fires the same round, the FN Five-seveN.

Thank you.
5.7, .357, it's only one digit difference, right Sir? :lol:
That would make it about a .22 cal, correct?

Hey, what's one digit among friends? :) 5.7mm comes in right at .224 caliber, but is supposed to have quite a bit of penetrating power (since it comes out of the muzzle at 2346 ft/sec or 715 m/sec, that makes sense - not sure about stopping power though :!: ).

How many grains of powder does it have? It's not a magnum, is it?
edit: never mind, with that muzzle velocity it would pretty much need a hot load.
Doesn't it have a 50 round internal magazine?

A .357 submachinegun sure wouldn't have any problems with stopping power. :lol:

Answer: Yes, it has a 50 round detachable box magazine, which is translucent so you can check to see how much you have left (presuming you have enough light to see by of course).

A submachine gun firing a .357 magnum cartridge would definitely have loads of stopping power, but would have feed problems galore due to the rimmed round (this thing was developed for a revolver and only the Desert Eagle pistols have been a success with that cartridge). Your other problem, which is why FN went to a small high velocity cartridge, is that firing it accurately, round after round, requires a lot of training and practice as the tendency is to climb off of the target due to the amazing amount of recoil. That's one reason the the Brits dropped the .455 round after WWI and went to the .38 round (which turned out to be a bit of a dog, but that is another story). :)

The Thompson (in any flavor) was a very good submachine gun, although a bit heavy (M1928 - 10 lbs 12 oz/4.88 kg, M1/M1A1 - 10 lbs 9 oz/4.82 kg both weights unloaded). Of course, if you are firing a .45 cal round, you need some extra weight sometimes as you pointed out. However, I think the real success of the Thompson was its durability and reliability as a weapon and not its weight relative to full auto firing.

What really works when firing full auto is being able to keep the rounds on target. For that you need stability, either thru a mount (bipod. tripod, etc.), which really applies to machine guns and not submachine guns - or using short, controlled bursts. I have fired the M3A1 submachine gun, which is lighter than the Thompson at 8 lbs 3 oz/3.71 kg, and had very good success with my shot groups by using short bursts (3-4 rounds).

Firing any submachine gun, or automatic rifle, on full auto is going to waste a lot of ammo, as you can't keep the weapon on target. There are supposed to be some electronic compensators on the market that act to slow the cyclic rate of fire to a controllable level for full auto, but I have never been able to see one in operation.

Back