What would be your preferred role for infantry...

What role do you prefer?

• Total voters

gladius

Lets just say you were in the infantry. What would your preferred role be, in other words in what capacity do you think you would serve best among the following...

...What would be your second choice? (Just to make it more interesting, but this is not included in the poll)

Assault (Assualt Rifle, SAW, your everyday grunt)

Close Assault (CQB weapons such as M4 Carbine, SMG, MP5, shortened SAW, Shotgun)

Scout (M4 Carbine, ect., Field Goggles, Map, Radio, used for either intelligence or artillery)

MG Support (Machine Gun, M240B, ect)

Heavy Support (Heavy Machine Gun like .50cal, Mk19 Auto Grenade Launcher, Mortar, ect)

Anti-Tank Support (TOW Gunner)

Sniper Support (Alot of people may find this position glamorous but I would rather know where you would serve best, since most aren't good enough to be a sniper)

My preferrence and where I think I would be best at are Heavy Weapons Support namely MK19 or even .50cal.

My second choice would be MG Support as a Machinegunner.

Games such as Call of Duty and Battlefield 2 may give you a clue what role you would be good at. That's if you have no real practical experience.

Last edited:
The closest I've been to combat is getting shot at by local street gangs so I really don't have any experience shooting back. The only other experience I can draw from my civilian life is that of growing up in the mountains of Tennessee, North Carolina, and Georgia. I can move quietly through the woods and, if I can hit a squirrel using iron sights, I figure I can hit a man. That said, I think the only roles I'd have a chance at being effective in are those of scout or designated marksman. I could probably pull off sniper with a lot less training than any of the other listed rolls.

Flame away as only combat veterans can flame, gentlemen. :)

Heavy support, where you find the mortars; My MOS is Signals, too bad it wasn't on the list, but signals in a mortar firing platoon would make my day again :)

Last edited:
gladius said:
Games such as Call of Duty and Battlefield 2 may give you a clue what role you would be good at. That's if you have no real practical experience.

Im the best zodiac driver in BF2, so navy here I come!!!:CG:

I thought the question is what do you think the role of infantry is supposed to be, and I put assault, but I will stay with my choice.

Airsoft, OPFOR for a MOUT Op's and Medal Of Honor is the closest I've gotten to actual combat. I prefer Urban Battle /CQB.

For the MOUT I had an M14, but I did alot of crawling through ceilings and basements.

For airsoft Chopped down 870 and stockless M4.

Medal of Honor MP-40 and 12ga. Model 1. Trench Shotgun

If I was in the infantry I'd want to be a grenadier, you know, those guys with the underslung grenade launchers on their rifles.

Either that or a combat engineer.

Sniper Support just because I would rather be hidden somewhere (yep I'm a chicken LOL) and on video games, that seems to be what I'm the best at. I really would love to be a scout, though.

[QUOTE]If I was in the infantry I'd want to be a grenadier, you know, those guys with the underslung grenade launchers on their rifles.
[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not thats an annoying job. The weapon itself isn't all that effective, plus it adds another kilo to you weapon (under the barrel, just where you don't want it), plus you've gotta lug around your 40mm rounds (and lots of them if you want to weapon to be really effective).

Anybody else who has fired them will agree, hitting a man sized target (or at least landing it within a lethal radius) with a strong crosswind at 300m is near impossible.

AussieNick said:
Believe it or not thats an annoying job. The weapon itself isn't all that effective, plus it adds another kilo to you weapon (under the barrel, just where you don't want it), plus you've gotta lug around your 40mm rounds (and lots of them if you want to weapon to be really effective).

Anybody else who has fired them will agree, hitting a man sized target (or at least landing it within a lethal radius) with a strong crosswind at 300m is near impossible.

LOL I agree with you 100%. Devasting when put through a window though :).

The point is not to be precise, the point is to BLOW SHIT UP! :rockin:

You really think I chose combat engineer so I could build bridges? No! I chose it so I could do some demolitions!

A Company Clerk about 20 miles behind the front lines, with a good bed and three meals a day and a roof over my head while I'll work and play. Most of the rest I have tried and there are better ways of spending your time

Back