What would the world be like if the U.S.S.R. existed today?

--
Boots

March 24th, 2005  
Red_Army

Topic: What would the world be like if the U.S.S.R. existed today?

If the "Soviet Empire" never collapsed in 1991. What would our world look as of today? Would the United States still have all the influence around the world? Or will Soviet influence still be a major factor?

Personally, if the Soviet Union never collapsed. Their mighty empire will much smaller, because they lost their grip on Eastern Europe.

Comparison between USSR and Russia
USSR - 1990
Troops: 4,700,000
Budget: $271 billion US
Tanks: 53,350
Combat Aircraft: 5,130
Fighters: 1,885
Bombers: 2,475
Nuclear Subs: 201
Submarines: 147
Warships: 264
Naval Aircraft: 1,039
Nuclear Weapons: 6,938
Intercontinental Ballistic missiles: 1,451
Sub-launched Ballistic missiles: 960
Long-Range Bombers: 195

Russia - 2005
Troops: 700,000
Budget: $7 billion US
Tanks: 5,559
Combat Aircraft: 1,855
Fighters: 415
Bombers: 725
Nuclear Subs: 66
Submarines: 31
Warships: 44
Naval Aircraft: 329
Nuclear Weapons: 3,590
Intercontinental Ballistic missiles: 756
Sub-launched Ballistic Missiles: 412
Long-Range Bombers: 66
March 24th, 2005  
MontyB

Topic: Re: What would the world be like if the U.S.S.R. existed tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Army
If the "Soviet Empire" never collapsed in 1991. What would our world look as of today? Would the United States still have all the influence around the world? Or will Soviet influence still be a major factor?

Personally, if the Soviet Union never collapsed. Their mighty empire will much smaller, because they lost their grip on Eastern Europe.

Comparison between USSR and Russia
USSR - 1990
Troops: 4,700,000
Budget: $271 billion US
Tanks: 53,350
Combat Aircraft: 5,130
Fighters: 1,885
Bombers: 2,475
Nuclear Subs: 201
Submarines: 147
Warships: 264
Naval Aircraft: 1,039
Nuclear Weapons: 6,938
Intercontinental Ballistic missiles: 1,451
Sub-launched Ballistic missiles: 960
Long-Range Bombers: 195

Russia - 2005
Troops: 700,000
Budget: $7 billion US
Tanks: 5,559
Combat Aircraft: 1,855
Fighters: 415
Bombers: 725
Nuclear Subs: 66
Submarines: 31
Warships: 44
Naval Aircraft: 329
Nuclear Weapons: 3,590
Intercontinental Ballistic missiles: 756
Sub-launched Ballistic Missiles: 412
Long-Range Bombers: 66
I think your numbers may be a little misleading, I am sure I have have seen them before and was told they were not accurate as they included "reserve equipment" some of which dated back to WW2 that was effectively unusable.

Quote:
Would the United States still have all the influence around the world?
My personal opinion is that the collapse of the USSR actually diminished the USA's influence because without a potential global enemy you dont need the USA.
March 24th, 2005  
MadeInChina

dude, by the end of 85' the soviet army had thousands of armor vehicles made up mostly of t-72s, the WWII vehicles were in museums and the other commi nations

many aircrafts were also of su-27 orgins and mig29 production

they had an awesome navy as well, many submarines and huge cruicers.

*dont underestimate the economic system, which led to the downfall of soviet russia
--
Boots
March 24th, 2005  
MontyB

Dont get me wrong I am not making comment on the quality of Soviet front line equipment, nor am I saying they only had one tank that they moved around a lot to look like thousands.

I am simply saying that "IF" I recall correctly this figure (Tanks: 53,350 ) included reserve vehicles that went back as far as the T54 which is hardly a major battlefield threat these days.
March 24th, 2005  
Red_Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Dont get me wrong I am not making comment on the quality of Soviet front line equipment, nor am I saying they only had one tank that they moved around a lot to look like thousands.

I am simply saying that "IF" I recall correctly this figure (Tanks: 53,350 ) included reserve vehicles that went back as far as the T54 which is hardly a major battlefield threat these days.
I got these military figures off a Russian Website.
March 24th, 2005  
USAFAUX2004

Trust me, NO ONE knows the exact numbers
March 24th, 2005  
Whispering Death

I'm not quite sure what the point of this thread is. It seems like all idle speculation. What if the Roman Empire had never collapsed?

I just don't get how anything useful could really be determined with such a broad question.
March 24th, 2005  
03USMC

Remember the Cold War? It would be just like it never ended.
March 25th, 2005  
behemoth79

i dont think the world would exist anymore should the USSR have not fallen. America and the soviet union were way too close to a nuclear war and the world is lucky that it did end. we would all be either dead or have some mutation from fallout because the cold war could not have lasted another 10-15 years without war.
March 25th, 2005  
WarMachine

The most probable aspect is in terms of military technology. The US and the soviets would both be still developing cutting-edge technology. The American technology would be like today's, only with a lot more of those programs that were cancelled, like the comanche. And the soviets would have developed the su 37 and mig 35 fully. We might even have SDI on both sides.