What was the Worlds first assault rifle?

Which was the worlds first assault rifle?

• Total voters

MausTanker

I think that the StG44 was the worlds first assault rifle, but according to some people... the Avtomat Fedorova was the worlds first, made in 1916... which was the first?

StG44
SG44.jpg

Avtomat Fedorova
avtoma5.jpg

and also, what really makes a gun a assault rifle? what does it need to have? what features??

id

Id say English is a better way to comunicate your ideas here...All of these northern eauropian langs. are killing me..... ;)

Well, an assault rifle....hmmm, well a few things it needs to have.-

1-Rapid, automatic fire rate.
2-Light enough to charge with.
3-Possible to fire with reasonable accurecy while moving.
4-Sufficiant effective range(150 meters at least)
5-Easy to load. at least 20 bullets in a magazine.

StG44

Caliber: 7.92x33 mm (7.92mm Kurz)
Action: Gas operated, tilting bolt
Overall length: 940 mm
Barrel length: 419 mm
Weigth: 5.22 kg
Rate of fire: 650 rounds per minute
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
Muzzle Velocity: 650 m/s
Effective Range: 450m

no tech on the avotomat... sorry.

Stg44

I think the true first assalt rifle was the stg44.I think it was Germen and was developed in WWII used during the last part of the war.I think it was issued to certain troops.

Taken from here:
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Assault.htm

The first service weapon which can be identified as conforming to the specification of an assault rifle dates back to the First World War; the Russian Federov Avtomat of 1916. This was a selective fire weapon using a short-recoil action and was chambered for a military rifle cartridge of intermediate calibre and power - the 6.5x50SR Arisaka - large quantities of Japanese rifles in this calibre having been acquired by Russia. This was an excellent choice, as the cartridge combined moderate recoil with a good long-range performance, but only about 3,000 Avtomats were made. They were used in action in the Russian Civil War and thereby earned their place in small-arms history.

Anybody else find it odd that the Russians were buying Japanese rifles? Especially as they had just finished fighting them (Russo-Japanese War, 1904-05). Sorry, I know it's off-topic, just found it interesting.

Thanks for the information, Animal Mother (do you work in a military museum or something? :lol: ), I guess that answers your question, MausTanker :lol: .

Mp40(MachinePistol 1940) is a submachine gun that fires 9mm and only auto. Besides Stg 44 is worlds first true assault rifles which comes from the german name: SturmGewehr. Besides The Commie Russians stole the plans for the Stg 44 and made the Ak47 out of it. Look at the specs.

StG44

Ak47

Caliber 7.62x39 mm
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt with 2 lugs
Overall length: 870 mm
Barrel length: 415 mm
Weight, with empty magazine: AK 4,3 kg; AKM 3,14 kg
Magazine capacity 30 rounds (40 rounds box magazines and 75 rounds drums from RPK also may be used)
Cyclic rate of fire 600 rounds per minute
Maximum effective range: about 400 meters

Look at the pics:
ak.jpg
Ak47
mp44.jpg
STG44

Russians stole the plans from WWII when then raided a bunch of munition factories. LOOK AT IT!

M0rPh345 said:
Mp40(MachinePistol 1940) is a submachine gun that fires 9mm and only auto. Besides Stg 44 is worlds first true assault rifles which comes from the german name: SturmGewehr. Besides The Commie Russians stole the plans for the Stg 44 and made the Ak47 out of it. Look at the specs.

StG44

Ak47

Caliber 7.62x39 mm
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt with 2 lugs
Overall length: 870 mm
Barrel length: 415 mm
Weight, with empty magazine: AK 4,3 kg; AKM 3,14 kg
Magazine capacity 30 rounds (40 rounds box magazines and 75 rounds drums from RPK also may be used)
Cyclic rate of fire 600 rounds per minute
Maximum effective range: about 400 meters

Look at the pics:
ak.jpg
Ak47
mp44.jpg
STG44

Russians stole the plans from WWII when then raided a bunch of munition factories. LOOK AT IT!

In 1946 Mikhail Kalashnikov examined a captured StG44 and used key features of the design to produce the AK-47 assault rifle which in turn was extremely influential (see history of the AK-47 for more information).

Back