What was the Worlds first assault rifle? - Page 4

View Poll Results :Which was the worlds first assault rifle?
StG44 30 71.43%
Avtomat Fedorova 12 28.57%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

October 19th, 2005  
In Japan-Russia war.1904~1905
Russia captured the bullet of Japan. (Those might be my Great-grandpa,s)
Captain Federof,who was a imperial guard.
He created this gun with arisaka bullet.
3000 guns were made in Romanof dynasty,but in revolution these guns were used in civil war.
And,after communism Revolution,Bolshevik ordered 6000 guns and these guns were also used by NKVD.
After,this gun was forgotten.
Ak47 and this gun do not have relation.
Federof m1916
Caliber: 6,5mm×50(Arisaka)
Action: Gas operated, tilting bolt
Overall length: 990 mm
Barrel length: 480 mm
Weigth: 4,40 kg
Rate of fire: 400 rounds per minute
Magazine capacity: 25 rounds
Muzzle Velocity: 654 m/s
February 10th, 2011  
I am an old man ,but back in the early 70's my step father went into the attic and handed me a oil soaked cloth with a stg 44 brand new in it .he was going to have me drive to Ohio river and through it in .I talked him into trading me a CB radio for it .I was on the County sherriff's dept at that time that has been 40 years ago I still have the gun .It has never been fired. any buddy interested and willing to make bid contact me .It even has paperwork in Germain in stockhhammond@cinci.rr.com
February 11th, 2011  
Korean Seaboy
Originally Posted by Obvious
Mp40(MachinePistol 1940) is a submachine gun that fires 9mm and only auto. Besides Stg 44 is worlds first true assault rifles which comes from the german name: SturmGewehr. Besides The Commie Russians stole the plans for the Stg 44 and made the Ak47 out of it. Look at the specs.

Caliber: 7.92x33 mm (7.92mm Kurz)
Action: Gas operated, tilting bolt
Overall length: 940 mm
Barrel length: 419 mm
Weigth: 5.22 kg
Rate of fire: 650 rounds per minute
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
Muzzle Velocity: 650 m/s

Caliber 7.62x39 mm
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt with 2 lugs
Overall length: 870 mm
Barrel length: 415 mm
Weight, with empty magazine: AK 4,3 kg; AKM 3,14 kg
Magazine capacity 30 rounds (40 rounds box magazines and 75 rounds drums from RPK also may be used)
Cyclic rate of fire 600 rounds per minute
Maximum effective range: about 400 meters
Effective Range: 450m

Look at the pics:

Russians stole the plans from WWII when then raided a bunch of munition factories. LOOK AT IT!

Actually, the maker of the Ak-47, Mikhail Kalashnikov (the AK-47 is also called a Kalashnikov due to the maker) was inspired by the Russian PPS, yet I don't know whether the PPS was inspired by the Stg44
February 13th, 2011  
Strictly speaking I think the Avtomat Federova was the first assault rifle in history, because it had the basic definition of an assault rifle; automatic fire, and a shortened rifle cartridge.

But from what I've read, it was rather underveloped, unreliable, and it tended to jam. I think it does deserve credit as a first attempt, but I still think that the St44 was the first PRACTICAL, soldier proof, assault rifle.
February 24th, 2011  
MC Martel
I'm going to have to say, the earlier one doesn't count, the Ariska wasn't a shortened cartridge, it was a full powered rifle cartridge, just on the weaker end of the spectrum, I say that doesn't count, cause it's not, from what I can gather, a deliberately smaller version of a "full powered" rifle round.
February 25th, 2011  
Even if the first one may have been produced 40 years earlier the Stg.44 is in my opinion worlds first assault rifle for a simple reason, it was the first produced and used in large scale with success (they lost the war, but wth? all their gear was years ahead of the enemies)