What will the new marine special forces do?

Re: how

No MERCY said:
OK. I'm sorry. But how will u let me know if u need it. I tried to keep u in check and u blew me away.

LOL No Mercy, thanks .. that just made my day. :lol:

Don't they already have a SpecOps division? Force Recon? Or is that just a combat scout unit of the Marines?

JagSeal said:
Don't they already have a SpecOps division? Force Recon? Or is that just a combat scout unit of the Marines?

Force Recon is a not part of SOCOM and is not considered a SF unit. So I guess you could say they are a combat scout unit of the Marines. How ever they were used in the war with Iraq as more of a SF unit, which is one of the reason the Marines are looking in to getting a SF unit.

What would this unit do? Easy, same as all the other SF units. Only they will do it all, and they will do it better. ;)

Razor said:
No, to that last part right? It was a joke, sorry if some of y'all did'int like it.

No, your first paragraph. "Force Recon is a not part of SOCOM " was about the only thing right.

RnderSafe said:
No, your first paragraph. "Force Recon is a not part of SOCOM " was about the only thing right.

I really do not like to contradict Mod on any forum, but I feel that you misunderstood me.

Razor said:
Force Recon is a not part of SOCOM and is not considered a SF unit.

Officially Force Recon is not considered a SF unit, how ever many do consider it a SF unit, how ever on paper they are not.

Razor said:
So I guess you could say they are a combat scout unit of the Marines.

That was made in reference to LCDR_SurfWar post:

LCDR_SurfWar said:

I used the two options he gave me to answer.

Razor said:
How ever they were used in the war with Iraq as more of a SF unit, which is one of the reason the Marines are looking in to getting a SF unit.

That is a true statement, Force Recon was used differently than is has been in the past, many Marines resented it. I feel it caused the U.S. government to decide that the Marines need an SF unit.

to prove my pont that they were used differently then they were suppost to be I'll post their origanal mission:

The Force Reconnaissance mission is to plan, coordinate and conduct amphibious reconnaissance, deep ground reconnaissance & surveillance, battle space shaping, and limited scale raids in support of the MEF (Marine Expeditionary Force), MAGTFs (Marine Air Ground Task Force), or a JTF (Joint Task Force). The mission essential tasks are:

Conduct amphibious reconnaissance and deep ground R&S (Reconnaissance and Surveillance)

Conduct specialized terrain reconnaissance

Assist in specialized engineering, NBC (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical), Radio and Mobile Reconnaissance missions

Implant and/or recover sensors and beacons

Conduct ITG (Initial Terminal Guidance) for helicopters, landing crafts, and parachutists

Engage selected targets with Naval, Air and Ground guided support (Laser Guided Missiles, Artillery, Naval Gunfire, etc...)

Conduct post-strike reconnaissance (Battle Damage Assessments)

Conduct limited scale raids (destroy critical enemy targets, gas and oil platforms (GOPLATs), Military Interdiction Operations (MIOs), capture selected enemy personnel, and recover sensitive items / personnel)

Conduct other operations as directed

I got that from here: http://www.forcerecon.org/missiontraining.htm

Now the way they were used in Operation Iraq freedom could fall under "Conduct other operations as directed." However many did not like this fact thus that new Marine SF unit.

If you would like I'll find a site telling how they were used in Operation Iraq freedom.

Okay, Razor.

Officially Force Recon is not considered a SF unit, how ever many do consider it a SF unit, how ever on paper they are not.

Wrong. I'll give you a hint, SF is an asset only the Army has.

Razor wrote:
How ever they were used in the war with Iraq as more of a SF unit, which is one of the reason the Marines are looking in to getting a SF unit.

That is a true statement, Force Recon was used differently than is has been in the past, many Marines resented it. I feel it caused the U.S. government to decide that the Marines need an SF unit.

This is not a true statement. FRs mission is nothing like SFs mission. You are also wrong in that the US government decided to bring the Marine Corps into SOC. That was a Corps decision. You're also incorrect in that FR is being used "differently" than the past and that Marines resent it.

Now the way they were used in Operation Iraq freedom could fall under "Conduct other operations as directed." However many did not like this fact thus that new Marine SF unit.

If you would like I'll find a site telling how they were used in Operation Iraq freedom.

Again, wrong, wrong .. and .. well, wrong. You can continue to argue until your wee heart is content, but you have no idea of what you speak.

You may continue to "contradict" me, but nothing you're saying makes sense to anyone that has first hand knowledge of the situations. Realise, there are some on this board that are involved and deal with many of these SOF units you young ninjas have such a hard on for.

What is this "new" Marine special forces? As far as I know, the Recon Marines are the USMC "special forces."

*sigh* .. The Marine Corps does not have special forces. No one has special forces in the US military except for the Army.

Unless you KNOW what you are talking about or come from the 'community' and not just work with us, keep your mouth shut. :twisted:

Several points, sorry....Im a new guy.
The Marines do have FR and if you have ever worked with them you would know, these guys are VERY good, NOT SOF...not even designed to be... but equal to any task of any unit of like nature, Ranger, SF....I have ever seen.
The comment that only ARMY has SF is not exactly true. In name maybe, but you can't cast out the SEALS as not being SF or SOF. Very broad mission parameters and tasking. AF does have PR and they too are amoung the elite. (God, I hate that term) Lets say, they are high speed and extremely competant/, certainly in the top echelon of masters of their trade.
You know, I sure get tired of hearing the words Special Forces, Elite, blah, blah, blah....see what Hollywood does?

Abell said:
Several points, sorry....Im a new guy.
The Marines do have FR and if you have ever worked with them you would know, these guys are VERY good, NOT SOF...not even designed to be... but equal to any task of any unit of like nature, Ranger, SF....I have ever seen.
The comment that only ARMY has SF is not exactly true. In name maybe, but you can't cast out the SEALS as not being SF or SOF. Very broad mission parameters and tasking. AF does have PR and they too are amoung the elite. (God, I hate that term) Lets say, they are high speed and extremely competant/, certainly in the top echelon of masters of their trade.
You know, I sure get tired of hearing the words Special Forces, Elite, blah, blah, blah....see what Hollywood does?

Abell, the comment that only Army has SF is quite true. Special Forces is just like "Navy SEALs" it is the title of the SOF unit, or in this case, groups. Like Rangers, like PJs, CCTs, etc. Special Forces, despite what some wannabes might think, is not a Hollywood term. If you wish to paint all of those units with a broad stroke, then the term SOF is appropriate, but referring to anything other than USA SF as SF is incorrect, period.

Agreed in principal, if not fact. No one has the "Title" patented like Army Special Forces nor the long tab for that matter. The point is, over the years anything and everything has been brandished with the term when it should have been SOF OR whatever it is they do. Ie....Seals, Rangers, etc..SF has become a generic term while incorrectly placed. Your OSC is accepted... 8)

Abell said:
Agreed in principal, if not fact. No one has the "Title" patented like Army Special Forces nor the long tab for that matter. The point is, over the years anything and everything has been brandished with the term when it should have been SOF OR whatever it is they do. Ie....Seals, Rangers, etc..SF has become a generic term while incorrectly placed. Your OSC is accepted... 8)

Yes, it has .. quite a bit of that responsibility falls on the media for always portraying every unit no matter the title or mission statement as being "SF." After 25 years, you would think I would be willing to let it go - but it is a pet peeve and I most often always correct the misconception. Just as I try to inform people that members of the SOF community cannot fly, bullets do not bounce off of them - and there are no one man Rambo teams.

RnderSafe said:
members of the SOF community cannot fly, bullets do not bounce off of them - and there are no one man Rambo teams.

Why do the recruiting officers always have to lie to me, Sir?

:lol:

RnderSafe said:
Abell said:

Yes, it has .. quite a bit of that responsibility falls on the media for always portraying every unit no matter the title or mission statement as being "SF." After 25 years, you would think I would be willing to let it go - but it is a pet peeve and I most often always correct the misconception. Just as I try to inform people that members of the SOF community cannot fly, bullets do not bounce off of them - and there are no one man Rambo teams.

They can't....they don't....he wasn't real? Oh, hell? :lol:

Back