What will Iran do?

Well, The US turned to Nuclear because it is cheaper and more cost effective to use Nuclear power than Oil.

BTW, Any idea what type of offensive weapons and vehicles that Iran own? I doubt the Iranians can shoot down a US plane!

I think the US will definitely use a large show of force! I think the US troops will spill out from the Iraq borders! But this is not an easy fight! The Iranian army is large! I don't think it is another Afganistan or Iraq! But than again, the Iranians might just run away liek that of the Iraqi soliders!

I think the US will definitely use a large show of force! I think the US troops will spill out from the Iraq borders! But this is not an easy fight! The Iranian army is large! I don't think it is another Afganistan or Iraq! But than again, the Iranians might just run away liek that of the Iraqi soliders!

No No No and No if something does happen in Iran it is an extremly remote chance ground troops will be used.

StevenPreece said:
Although I fully appreciate that America is the super power policeman of the world, they are now looking to alternative sources of power instead of oil. Nuclear power was mentioned.

Given that this is the way forward, are Iran trying to acheive the same thing? Or do people believe this is a cover story to hide their real intentions.

My post was merely stating that the move to Nuclear Power could be innocent. But I can only make an assumption.

Iran sits atop one of the largest oil fields in the world. They have so much oil they're just throwing it at other countires by the hundreds of thousands of barrels. What the hell do they need nuclear power for? You think the Mullahs got an environmental conscience all of a sudden?

Rabs said:
No No No and No if something does happen in Iran it is an extremly remote chance ground troops will be used.

WAd do you mean the ground troops will not be used? The US troops or the Iranian ground troops? The Iranians do have advance weapons! I think they have US-made planes!

The key to bringing down Iran is from the inside. The U.S. has the man-power to invade and over power the Iranian military at the cost of ignoring Iraq but we lack the man power to sustain our self’s in an occupation. I don’t know the political Situation inside of Iran but from what it sounds like on this forum there is some discontent. I think the west only option is too mount an insurgency inside of Iran and topple it from within. The first step to this would be too I don’t know start broadcasting propaganda inside of Iran; Followed by Special Forces incursions to make contact with possible opposition leaders. Next we would supply the opposition leaders with funding and or weapons. As the insurgency grew we could openly use air strikes to support the insurgency. Will it work who knows but other then diplomatic means we have air strikes and that’s the limit of are military response. I think the people of the Middle East are not going to forget what we did too the Kurds in the first gulf war and that is going to hurt us. Just my thoughts and opinions.

well, I don't think this is a good method! Just look at Afganistan! The US helped it during the Soviet occupation and Osama became a Terrorist!

zander_0633 said:
well, I don't think this is a good method! Just look at Afganistan! The US helped it during the Soviet occupation and Osama became a Terrorist!

And whats the relevancy here?

WAd do you mean the ground troops will not be used? The US troops or the Iranian ground troops? The Iranians do have advance weapons! I think they have US-made planes!

The US is not invadeing Iran.

Air strikes are not an invasion.

Zander, I don't mean to be an ass but you really need to calm down. In a lot of these threads you post things that can be easily answered if you just do some basic research.

For instance:

And the US helped Afghani rebel forces mostly through airstrikes in 2002 and now there is no taliban, no terrorist training camps, and Osama ran away into Pakistan.

Oh! thanks! I really get too far-fetched sometimes!

I believe that Israel will take this opportunity to lunch it's rockets at those Nuclear Power plant.

I dare Iran to nuke the USA. If they do, USA will now have the right to nuke them, they'll nuke them a hundred times more then they've nuked usa.

Yeah! But hink about this : Wad if Iran knew where US kept their nuclear bombs, They then proceed to send nuclear bombs to those nuclear silos in the US! That would disable some of their nuclear weapons, and even make a great scene of nuclear explosion!

Iran Readies Plan to Close Strait of Hormuz
March 01, 2006
NewsMax.com
Kenneth R. Timmerman

Iran's Revolutionary Guards are making preparations for a massive assault on U.S. naval forces and international shipping in the Persian Gulf, according to a former Iranian intelligence officer who defected to the West in 2001.

The plans, which include the use of bottom-tethered mines potentially capable of destroying U.S. aircraft carriers, were designed to counter a U.S. land invasion and to close the Strait of Hormuz, the defector said in a phone interview from his home in Europe.

They would also be triggered if the United States or Israel launched a pre-emptive strike on Iran to knock out nuclear and missile facilities.

"The plan is to stop trade," the source said.

Between 15 and 16.5 million barrels of oil transit the Strait of Hormuz each day, roughly 20 percent of the world's daily oil production, according to the U.S. government's Energy Information Administration.

The source provided NewsMax parts of a more than 30-page contingency plan, which bears the stamp of the Strategic Studies Center of the Iranian Navy, NDAJA. The document appears to have been drafted in September or October of 2005.

The NDAJA document was just one part of a larger strike plan to be coordinated by a single operational headquarters that would integrate Revolutionary Guards missile units, strike aircraft, surface and underwater naval vessels, Chinese-supplied C-801 and C-802 anti-shipping missiles, mines, coastal artillery, as well as chemical, biological and nuclear weapons.

The overall plans are being coordinated by the intelligence office of the Ministry of Defense, known as HFADA.

Revolutionary Guards missile units have identified "more than 100 targets, including Saudi oil production and oil export centers," the defector said. "They have more than 45 to 50 Shahab-3 and Shahab-4 missiles ready for shooting" against those targets and against Israel, he added.

The defector, Hamid Reza Zakeri, warned the CIA in July 2001 that Iran was preparing a massive attack on America using Arab terrorists flying airplanes, which he said was planned for Sept. 11, 2001. The CIA dismissed his claims and called him a fabricator.

The source also identified a previously unknown nuclear weapons site last year to this writer, which was independently confirmed by three separate intelligence agencies.

NewsMax showed the defector's documents to two native Persian-speakers who each have more than 20 years of experience analyzing intelligence documents from the Islamic Republic regime. They believed the documents were authentic.

A U.S. military intelligence official, while unable to authenticate the documents without seeing them, recognized the Strategic Studies Center and noted that the individual whose name appears as the author of the plan, Abbas Motaj, was head of the Iranian navy until late 2005.

A former Revolutionary Guards officer, contacted by NewsMax in Europe, immediately recognized the Naval Strategic Studies institute from its Persian-language acronym, NDAJA. He provided independent information on recent deployments of Shahab-3 missiles that coincided with information contained in the NDAJA plan.

The Iranian contingency plan is summarized in an "Order of Battle" map, which schematically lays out Iran's military and strategic assets and how they will be used against U.S. military forces from the Strait of Hormuz up to Busheir.

The map identifies three major areas of operations, called "mass kill zones," where Iranian strategists believe they can decimate a U.S.-led invasion force before it actually enters the Persian Gulf.

The kill zones run from the low-lying coast just to the east of Bandar Abbas, Iran's main port that sits in the bottleneck of the Strait of Hormuz, to the ports of Jask and Shah Bahar on the Indian Ocean, beyond the Strait.

Behind the kill zones are strategic missile launchers labeled as "area of chemical operations," "area of biological warfare operations," and "area where nuclear operations start."

Iran's overall battle management will be handled through C4I and surveillance satellites. It is unclear in the documents shared with NewsMax whether this refers to commercial satellites or satellite intelligence obtained from allies, such as Russia or China. Iran has satellite cooperation programs with both nations.

The map is labeled "the current status of military forces in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, 1384." 1384 is the Iranian year that ends on March 20, 2006.

Iran plans to begin offensive operations by launching successive waves of explosives-packed boats against U.S. warships in the Gulf, piloted by "Ashura" or suicide bombers.

The first wave can draw on more than 1,000 small fast-attack boats operated by the Revolutionary Guards navy, equipped with rocket launchers, heavy machine-guns and possibly Sagger anti-tank missiles.

In recent years, the Iranians have used these small boats to practice "swarming" raids on commercial vessels and U.S. warships patrolling the Persian Gulf.

The White House listed two such attacks in the list of 10 foiled al-Qaida terrorist attacks it released on Feb. 10. The attacks were identified as a "plot by al-Qaida operatives to attack ships in the [Persian] Gulf" in early 2003, and a separate plot to "attack ships in the Strait of Hormuz."

A second wave of suicide attacks would be carried out by "suicide submarines" and semi-submersible boats, before Iran deploys its Russian-built Kilo-class submarines and Chinese-built Huodong missile boats to attack U.S. warships, the source said.

The 114-foot Chinese boats are equipped with advanced radar-guided C-802s, a sea-skimming cruise-missile with a 60-mile range against which many U.S. naval analysts believe there is no effective defense.

When Iran first tested the sea-launched C-802s a decade ago, Vice Admiral Scott Redd, then commander of U.S. naval forces in the Gulf, called them "a new dimension ... of the Iranian threat to shipping."

Admiral Redd was appointed to head the National Counterterrorism Center last year.

Iran's naval strategists believe the U.S. will attempt to land ground forces to the east of Bandar Abbas. Their plans call for extensive use of ground-launched tactical missiles, coastal artillery, as swell as strategic missiles aimed at Saudi Arabia and Israel tipped with chemical, biological and possibly nuclear warheads.

The Iranians also plan to lay huge minefields across the Persian Gulf inside the Strait of Hormuz, effectively trapping ships that manage to cross the Strait before they can enter the Gulf, where they can be destroyed by coastal artillery and land-based "Silkworm" missile batteries.

Today, Iran has sophisticated EM-53 bottom-tethered mines, which it purchased from China in the 1990s. The EM-53 presents a serious threat to major U.S. surface vessels, since its rocket-propelled charge is capable of hitting the hull of its target at speeds in excess of 70 miles per hour. Some analysts believe it can knock out a U.S. aircraft carrier.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff has been warning about Iran's growing naval buildup in the Persian Gulf for over a decade, and in a draft presidential finding submitted to President Clinton in late February 1995, concluded that Iran already had the capability to close the Strait of Hormuz.

"I think it would be problematic for any navy to face a combination of mines, small boats, anti-ship cruise missiles, torpedoes, coastal artillery, and Silkworms," said retired Navy Commander Joseph Tenaglia, CEO of Tactical Defense Concepts, a maritime security company. "This is a credible threat."

In Tenaglia's view, "the major problem will be the mines. Naval minefields are hard to locate and to sweep," and the United States has few minesweepers. "It's going to be like running the gauntlet getting through there," he said.

When Iran last mined the Gulf, in 1987-1988, several U.S. ships and reflagged Kuwaiti oil tankers were hit, even though the mines they used were similar to those used in the Battle of Gallipoli in 1915, Tenaglia said.

The biggest challenge facing Iran today would be to actually lay the mines without getting caught. "If they are successful in getting mines into the water, it's going to take us months to get them out," Tenaglia said. link to original article

Yeah! But hink about this : Wad if Iran knew where US kept their nuclear bombs, They then proceed to send nuclear bombs to those nuclear silos in the US! That would disable some of their nuclear weapons, and even make a great scene of nuclear explosion!

Then the martians attack and everyone dies :(

Rabs said:
Then the martians attack and everyone dies :(

Actually, it wouldn't matter anyhow. Everyone knows the Earth is only warm because Hell keeps it that way. With Hell frozen over, there would be an ice age and life would cease to exist.

hah! If Iran follows that Strategy, it can last a few more days of war! BUt wad if the US don't attack from the sea? And wad if the Iranian forces deserted like those of the Iraqi?

zander_0633 said:
hah! If Iran follows that Strategy, it can last a few more days of war! BUt wad if the US don't attack from the sea? And wad if the Iranian forces deserted like those of the Iraqi?

WHAT or wad?

LoL:jump:

en...we cannot judge Iran's future action simply from its president's words

the President is not the most powerful man in Iran, not the second most powerful, not the third, probably fourth...
Some Guardian councils are actually in charge

Back