What War Would You Have Been In?

To be honest, If i was in the WW2 pacific theatre, i'll be glad that the japanese charge at me so then we can mow them down instead of trying to clear them out. I don't see the enemy who would be better off holding their positions but charge as brave people but crazy and somewhat dumb. If germans were holding the pacific islands, i bet they would be a greater challenge.

I wouldn't want to be in any war. I'll fight if i have to though.

The only war that I really dread, after having read numerous books and personal accounts/memoirs, is WW2. There is nothing glorious about it or any war in fact, no veteran will tell you that, the movies romanticized war to a point where it seems like "fun". No one who went to war and saw real combat comes out unscathed, even if they weren't hurt physically themselves. Having said that, I'd think the war that I'd prefer given the choice, would have been Vietnam or perhaps be part of Julius Cesar or Alexander the Great campaigns.

For me I would choose Iraq, and the Pacific Theatre. BUT for the Iraq theatre youd have to give me a L115A or a M24 Sniper rifle and ill be on my marry way.

And for the Pacific theatre youd give me the SPRINGFIELD. :twisted:

*new question*

does anyone have people in their family history that were in a war or did something important during a war?

My great Grandfather sat and smoked a cigarette and watched them load the bomb up to bomb Hiroshima.

My Godfather flew a helicopter in Vietnam.

and My step Dads Great Grandfather invented one of the firs ever mine detectors.

well my grandpa was a dentist in the Air Force during Korea :D i know that is not great but i believe he served his country just the same. :D

I would have chosen to be a sniper in either Nam or the european theatre.
:sniper:

Hmm a bizarre topic :confused:

I would be willing to serve in any of them.

Though if you sat me in front of a time machine and made me pick, I would probably pick the latest possible option. Seems the chances of getting killed or sick decreases as time progresses.

Somehow I don't think many would pick the desease infested trenches and suicidal assaults of WWI, for instance.

My great-grand father was in WW2, went all the way to Berlin with the Russian army, survived all 4 years of war, went through hell but came out unscathed and died at 75 of liver cancer. My uncle did a tour in Afghanistan in the 80s, in the USSR-Afghan war. Said it was very boring mixed with rare moments of sheer terror.

Rabs said:
My uncle to this day claims he "enjoyed" vietnam.

He also won a purple heart.

No offense meant toward your uncle or you but, he enjoyed Nam? I don't know anyone who enjoyed that crap hole of a meat grinder. Did he enjoy earning that PH? I seriously doubt it. What did he do there?

I must say though that I am amazed at the whole topic of conversation here. :confused:

My Pop (dad's dad) was a Combat Engineer and had 2 confirmed kills to his name. Both were Japanese, one was a sniper that pinned them down somehow and the other was charging at him with a bayonet. Apparently he deflected the charge somehow and snapped the guy's neck. Never met my Pop, but apparently he was a big man. My Grandfather (mum's dad) was flat-footed so he could only be a payroll officer.

My dad never went to Viet Nam, but i think he said something about missing the draft - they called the day before and the day after his b'day... But i didn't think we had a Viet Nam draft. Damn, i should know that.

Rich.

On reading through this thread, I can't but help to notice that most of the people that seem to think that combat would be fun are still at school.

Mmmm, u noticed that too did u? Hopefully i'm not one of the people that are coming across that way, because i'm not. But hey, i guess that's why they have age limits in the army. :)

Rich.

Back