What war-time innovation has gifted the world...

Avon .....The first aircraft carrier was in use during WW1 the first raid from a carrier was carried out on Airship hangers in Germany.

Plastic surgery was developed during the battle of Britain as a way of trying to help pilots who had been badly burnt when they were shot down. The pilots that were treated were given the nickname the "guinea pigs" due to these procedures being relatively untested. The man behind it all, Archibald McIndoe, actually recognised the need for follow on psychiatric care as well, something that had been sadly lacking. EDIT- Apologies for reviving this topic. Didn't think to check the date till after I posted.

Last edited:
Plastic surgery was developed during the battle of Britain as a way of trying to help pilots who had been badly burnt when they were shot down. The pilots that were treated were given the nickname the "guinea pigs" due to these procedures being relatively untested. The man behind it all, Archibald McIndoe, actually recognised the need for follow on psychiatric care as well, something that had been sadly lacking. EDIT- Apologies for reviving this topic. Didn't think to check the date till after I posted.
Ruetien(sp?) danger of people playing in the Dead Threads!:wink:

Taking into account the fact that age does not change the subject nor the answers, I hardly see that it matters,... your answer was still a good example and highly pertinent to the subject.

Jeeps :)

Not Hummers either JEEP from the Willis to the KJ
The Jeep was designed by American Bantam, but the company was deemed too small for the quantitys needed, so Willys, Ford & Kaiser got the production contracts.
Due to the Blackade causing shortages of medical thread to sew up wounds, the CS doctors started boiling horse mane hair for use in sewing wounds & noticed a big reduction of infections, though they didn't know that the boiling was killing germs.

I would have gone with the invention of the railroad myself, it allowed the mass movement and supply of troops as well as the beginning of the mass transit era.

The railway was not an invention that came out of a war, the railway system as we know it today came about due to commerce.

Back