What war interests you the most? - Page 2

--
Boots

January 2nd, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Quote:
moost of WWI was trench stuff
Unfortunatly thats the myth, yes the trench warfare was a big part in the western theatre, but what about the battles raging in the Ottamon Empire and farther into Persia? And then the russian revolution preety much counts as a war in itself. Face it, this war was the first modern war, it's outcomes are still being felt today. It just needs more respect is all.
January 2nd, 2004  
diplomatic_means

Yeah, I wouldn't be in to WWI beyond anything the Allies did. I really haven't bothered much with it. The only things I know are from watching the story of Alvin York and from the history presented in my Red Baron flight game.
January 3rd, 2004  
Nick42

Indeed World War I was the first modern war, this was the first time tanks, gas, airplanes and machine guns (on a big scale) were used. It was also the first time so many soldiers where killed or captured in a single war, for example at the battle of Tannenberg the Russians alone lost 250,000 soliders.
--
Boots
January 3rd, 2004  
Acerbus

Yeah, it was the first modern war. The thing is though, I think the reason why people don't look at WWI all that much anymore is that everything that developed from there quickly was wiped away by the war that came next, WWII. Completely new methods shot down the 'tried and true' tactics stemming from the Great War, such as the blitzkrieg, strategic bombing, and aircraft carriers to name a few.
January 3rd, 2004  
>*CrAzY*<

Yeah, the whole techonology of WWI is pretty cool, but thats about the only thing i can find interestin... except the whole murder that kinda started it all.. that was weird
January 3rd, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Ironically Archduke Ferdinand was a supporter os Serbian indipendance.
January 4th, 2004  
Acerbus

C'est la guerre. (That's war)

January 4th, 2004  
XARMYSGT

I "study" the Vietnam War more than any of them but I wouldn't go as far as to say it is a 'favorite' war.
January 4th, 2004  
D_Plus_One

I am most interested in WWII because both of my grandfathers fought in it, as well as several great-uncles and cousins. Their stories and experiences sparked my interest. I think there is more interest in WWII because communication had eveolved so much at that point, and we can see more film and photos of it to a greater degree than in WWI. Also movies such as Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers have helped to generate a lot of interest now.
January 4th, 2004  
Tessa

I would say the Cold War is the most interesting..

Though, I don't really had interest on study wars, but I am always open to learn about them.

But the Cold War is what I really would like to know everything about.