What is a Veteran?

Missileer

Has anyone ever been in the situation of being asked to stand and be recognized on Veteran's day and not know if the speaker means Veterans of Foreign Wars or served during peacetime? Just how did the word Veteran come to mean that one had to fight for their Country to be called a Veteran. I served Stateside 1962-1965 and got out with an Honorable Discharge, bought my home with a VA loan, went to College on the GI bill, and am a member of the American Legion Post #0345.
I think that anyone who served honorably in whatever branch of service in whichever Country is a Veteran. I further feel that when a Veteran of a Foreign War is recognized, it should be known that they are a VFW. To do less takes away from the challenge and sacrifice they made. Had I been in another MOS, I like to think I would have served as well as the guy who was shipped to VietNam instead of Southern California and I will be forever grateful to him. Just thought I would get a few opinions.
God bless all our troops and happy Veterans Day.

Missileer said:
not know if the speaker means Veterans of Foreign Wars or served during peacetime?

Here in Norway a Veteran is a soldier who has served abroad in a UN/NATO etc. operation..

Happy Veterans day to all Vets around the world! :D

We are commemorating terrorist attack on our troops in Nasiriyah Southern Iraq. One year ago today. 20 victims. RIP.

Amen Italianguy. My thoughts and prayers go out to them, their families, and their friends.

As to what constitutes a veteran. IMHO, a veteran is anyone who honorably served their country's military whether in peace or war time, whether they were deployed in combat or served in a reserve roll. They all answered their country's call to the best of their abilities.
You can make distinctions among veterans but they are still all veterans.

I agree with DTop. Thats why we dont have a veterans day here....His definition includes just about 80% of the adult population. :D

DTop and SHERMAN both of you guys are right. Veterans are men who fulfilled your duty for serving their country on a military level.

Back