What a Tragedy =(

CanadianCowgirl

Not sure if you guys heard about this or not, but it's been all over the news in Canada:

"The Bathurst High School basketball team was returning from a game on the night of January 11, 2008 after a basketball game against a Moncton High School rival. In the early hours of January 12 the van traveling northward on Route 11 was approaching the city limits and in front of the Miramichi Avenue exit when the van driver lost control of the vehicle and collided with a southbound transport truck. Only moments before the accident Nathan Cleland, one of the passengers, called his parents to let them know they were only minutes from home, Cleland's parents stated that the boys were laughing and having a good time before the accident. Cleland was one of the 8 killed in collision.
The wreck was discovered by a police officer who had originally only noticed the transport truck off the road and called for a tow truck. Upon approaching further he discovered the mangled van. Three rows of the van were torn out along with it's passengers. According to early reports three bodies were thrown outside the van along with their seat belts and seats. After calling for more backup, officers were slow to respond due to freezing rain which had begun in the area. Upon arrival at the scene 8 of the van occupants were pronounced dead, 7 students and the van driver's wife. The four survivors of the van, 2 players, the basketball team coach/driver and his daughter were rushed to Chaleur Regional Hospital in Bathurst. One of the injured was listed in critical condition, two in stable, and the fourth was released shortly after the accident. The driver of the transport truck was not injured." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Bathurst_van_collision

Last edited:
That's nice. Back in 2002 when there was a gun battle between North and South Korean ships, several South Korean sailors got killed or maimed. The North Koreans paid a higher price.
The president didn't show up to the funeral, and I don't think he visited the wounded in hospital either.

I read this article soon after it was posted, yet I had not replied and still find it hard to say something meaningful. What does one say that will ever lessen the grief of those affected. Eight young lives wasted in an instant.

Flowery sentiment, no matter how well intended and genuine, will give little comfort to the parents and friends of those killed and injured at this time when it is most needed, although, no doubt it will be remembered later once people start to get on with their lives again.

I have always been of the opinion that we must not feel sorry for the dead, but moreso for those who are left to mourn them.

To us it is a tragedy.

God has His reasons for everything and, while impossible to understand, their deaths will mean SOMETHING in the grand scheme.

May they rest in peace and their families find the peace of Jesus Christ.

Terrible and tragic news. :cry:

I've seen some bad wrecks but the ones involving kids always break my heart. I think of how short their stay was on this earth and all the things they will never get to experience in this life. God bless them and especially those left behind, I never want to outlive my children.

Back