What you think... - Page 4

--

March 22nd, 2004  
DTop

Jamoni, I think I understand what you're saying. If you're saying that a newbie butter bar has something to prove in the eyes of the men then I can grant you that. I would also say the same thing about a green NCO. Anyone who comes into a leadership position for the first time is in the same boat. I've never held a leadership position of any kind where that did not apply. You have to prove yourself to those you are leading and to those above you. A prior-service type might be looked at a little differently than someone fresh out of school but that only carries so far. The first leadership position is always the hardest because of this.
I am going to have to side with RndrSafe on his comment that there are good and bad O1s no matter where they come from. The same applies to E5s in my opinion. In the case of officers, I think much of the respect issue is settled when an officer demonstrates a genuine interest in what his unit's job is and that his current position is not just a stop on his way to promotion (even if it always is just a stop by definition). He needs to demonstrate an interest in and respect for how everyone in the unit does his job, from the newest E1 to his Plt. Sgt. I think that goes a long way toward earning respect.
BTW, if you were in my unit and I got wind of anything like that duct tape incident, I would have not tolerated it. You'd likely have found yourself earning less money and in some other unit at the very least. That's just the way I did things in my unit.
March 22nd, 2004  
Pogue

Top, you make a great point. I'm in ROTC, gonna get my commission in 2 years. The way I view it is that all I am is a private with more schooling. You'd better believe that I have a lot to prove to my men. The way I view it is listen to your men, treat them like your family, and they'll respect you. Don't buddy f*** your fellow comrades and you'll do fine. Hell I know when I get to my first unit, the SFC and I are gonna have a loonnnnnggg talk on how the unit operates. I'm the new guy there, and I need to learn how things work. I was told this one great piece of advice: Changing things is not always leadership. Sometimes, not changing things is sometimes the leadership that is necessary.
March 22nd, 2004  
Jamoni

Heck, DTop, I have a feeling that in YOUR unit it never would have come to that. I've got a pretty tough skin. If the guy hadn't laid hands on me and hid behind his brass, we wouldn't have had an issue. This guy repeatedly laid hands on me (pushing, shaking my shoulder when chewing me out, stuff like that) and I got absolutely no redress through channels. No one in my chain of command was willing to stand up for their men (this was during the drawdown), and in general we were left to fend for ourselves. Just picture this: all the privates in holes eating MRE's, all the officers eating hot chow 200 yds away. Need I say more? Once we got a strong captain and a few good NCOs in place, things shaped up a lot.
And, hey, if I'd gotten caught, I'd have paid for it. But I didn't. 8)
--
May 4th, 2004  
airmanpatroler

Join the Air Force and go to PJ school they are the toughest.