what do you think: Austin girl sues MySpace.com

rotc boy

Austin girl sues MySpace.com
6/20/2006 11:00 AM
By: News 8 Austin Staff

A 14-year-old Austin girl is suing the popular Internet site MySpace.com.

The girl claims she was sexually assaulted by a 19-year-old Buda man she met on the site. He was arrested May 19.

The girl is suing MySpace for $30 million. The suit says MySpace fails to protect children from adult predators.

"MySpace has presented itself to the public that it is safe for young users, that there are extra protections in place for 14- and 15-year-old users ... those protections in fact we believe are utterly unsatisfactory," lawyer Carl Barry said.

The MySpace site includes a list of safety tips for users and warnings against posting identifying information.

It also warns users to be aware of strangers and people who may not be who they claim.

"No one is more committed to Internet safety than MySpace" MySpace's chief security officer said in a released statement. "We take aggressive measures to protect our members. Ultimately, Internet safety is a shared responsibility. We encourage everyone on the Internet to engage in smart Web practices."

i hope she loses personally, if you dont have the common sense to not meet someone that you dont know from myspace, you should be shot on the spot

Myspace automatically sets 13,14, and 15 year olds user profiles to "private."This girl could not have been asaulted unless she accepted him as a friend and responded to his messages. This, to me, is a case of common sense. And perhaps bad parenting. Either the kid didn't have the common sense to not talk to anyone she didn't know, or the parents didn't know she had the lack of common sense, and didn't tell her. Either way, not Myspace's fault at all. Maybe she should think about suing the guy who freakin assaulted her!

she shouldnt be suing anyone, she friggin decided to meet him, it was her moronic fault for meeting someone from the internet

and mighty:
they arranged to meet somewhere and thats when he did it

I just read about this on another news site, and it isn't the girl that's suing myspace, but her mother.....

So it just seems to me that someone's trying to get some free $$$ from a Myspace settlement, by using her own daughter... :???:

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/06/20myspace.html

e-mails, phonecalls, picked up at school etc...
If that's not enough warning signs then it's probably the daughter who should sue her mother for not teaching her proper internet awarness... :cool:
:stupid:

MySpace should only be responsible for what is posted on it's site, it should not be expected to chaperone some young twit who agreed to meet a sicko

Once again, MySpace takes extra steps to protect younger users with (obvious here) no common sense. They set profiles to private...And such.

MightyMacbeth said:
I dont think they(the girls family) would win the case, whatever it is

ah yes, YOU dont think they should win, but this is AMERICA.

Land of the Free, Home of the Retarded.

I just saw a news clip from one of the sites I subscribe to that says that MySpace is going to raise their age requirements once more to decrease the number of young people that are being trolled by the internet sickos by making every person's profile under 18 invisible to all other internet users. If I understand what was posted, not only will their profiles be invisible, they will not be able to chat with each other if one of the people is 18 or older.

All that will do is cause some of these sickos to register on MySpace as a teenager under 18 years of age.

No one said the answers are easy ... I said it once before and I'll say it again........... "Word recognition software needs to monitor ALL chats of any person under 18 years of age and alert MySpace personnel that a suspected abuse has been committed and then they need to investigate to check out whether the software discovered a real case of abuse".

I realise that no-one really wants Uncle Sam looking over our shoulders but .....

If you have a better idea I'd like to hear it.

Chief Bones said:
I realise that no-one really wants Uncle Sam looking over our shoulders but .....

Under certain circumstances I would appriciate a monitoring system, especially on servers like Myspace and others where underaged kids are allowed to register.

I am not paranoid but sometimes I wish others were.

It doesnt really matter if they raised the age to 50...all the nasties have to do is fake their age...Anyone can be anyone on the internet...Look at billy(bad example but it works)

Like the ones that go on Jerry Springer and Oprah...Talkin bout," Oh, its not my fault I accepted him as a friend, responded to his messages, and agreed to meet him in person even though I knew nothing about him and knew the risk on him being an online predator...Its my parents fault." Blah blah blah.

Sexual assault or no sexual assault, either way the kid screwed herself over. Not the company's fault- sue the predator. (Down in LA you can be put to death for child molestation.)

This is a perfect example of a frivolous lawsuit. It's like a person with two perfectly good legs suing a company because the wheelchair access to the building is too long a walk to the front door.

Back