What do you think of the Aussie Military

What do you think of the Australians?

• Well trained, well equiped soldiers. Hard to fault.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fairly average, needs improvement

• Not yet competant

• Total voters

AussieNick

Forum Digger
I'm curious to know what peoples opinions are of the Australian military are and how we are viewed around the world. Of course I'm a bit biased, and I'm sure most other Australians are as well, so everyones opinions are welcome.

Example points for discussions are topics such as equipment, current and past action, training, international image etc.

Feel free to refer to my thread of images in the Military Related Topics Forum, or PM me if you have any questions.

There made many mistakes in the past so i realy don't think there are good soliders there will never go to war There are scared there join un But i don't think there good soldiers

There made many mistakes in the past so i realy don't think there are good soliders there will never go to war There are scared there join un But i don't think there good soldiers

Hmmmm, interesting. So you are saying we don't go to war, and we've made lots of mistakes? What makes you say this.

Turner said:
like you joined axis during ww2 and ww1 and never tried to help the un by helping them fight

Whoa son. Australia was an Allied nation during the 2nd World War Part of the British Commonwealth Forces. They fought well and with valor.

Point 2 the UN United Nations was not chartered until after WW2.

To all you Diggers. There is one Yank beating his head upon his desk as he ponders the state of public education in the USA.

Me :oops:

like you joined axis during ww2 and ww1 and never tried to help the un by helping them fight

Hahahaha, that's almost funny. Eh, oh well... Time for a short history lesson, world war 1 we fought as part of the british empire... Ever heard of the Somme, Ypres, Flanders, Gallipoli... all places that we fought and died with the Allies.

And as for world war 2. We were the first army to STOP the JAPANESE advance through the pacific (specifically only the Kokoda trail in PNG).

And what about the Vietnam war, we fought alongside the USA there, and Korea, and both Gulf Wars, Afghanistan etc etc etc.

And as for UN sanctioned work. The Korean war was a UN action, and in recent news, we were the main force in East Timor, and it was a UN action as well.

To all you Diggers. There is one Yank beating his head upon his desk as he ponders the state of public education in the USA.

I really hope this isn't a common point of view. It's pretty sad to think there are people getting around thinking things like this. At least your backing me up, thanks 03USMC.

Theres no argument,

All of this is true.

Personal opions dont matter, its the facts that count, as above.

But they should be blown up for 'neighbours' and 'home and away'!!!

Theres no argument,

All of this is true.

Personal opions dont matter, its the facts that count, as above.

But they should be blown up for 'neighbours' and 'home and away'!!!

Ha, I can't believe it gets watched outside Australia. It's like a bad version of Days Of Our Lives, just milder story lines and in leafy Australian suburbs.

All I can do is say sorry that you have to put up with Neighbours and Home & Away, so very sorry.

Days Of Our Lives

Is that the bad attempt of a comedy of a mother and her boyfriend and her daughter? Kinda set in the 80s.

We have that here and its killer
:evil:

AussieNick said:
Nah it's just one of those terrible american soap operas, they are all the same.

They are not all the same according to my wife :lol:

No I don't think the older generation has the preconceptions and faulty sense of history as displayed above. It's the younguns I worry about.

No I don't think the older generation has the preconceptions and faulty sense of history as displayed above. It's the younguns I worry about.

It is a concern. Same thing here in Australia, it's just a lack of education and a general sense of apathy amongst the youth today... listen to me I sound like my father :oops:

I agree there is a sense of apathy in the Youth about the ADF. But I don't see it as much because most of my firends are either cadets, ex-cadets or just guys who hung around me so long they might as well be in the cadets.

Yeah most of my friends are serving members of the ADF so it's not so bad. But I hate it when you talk to somebody at the pub and they look at you like your an idiot when you say your in the army, let alone even get into deep conversations about it.

i know we are meant to be failry well trained, but what is the state of the equipment we use?
also, how varied is the training? i remember reading somewhere that a lot of the training is based in deserts or jungles. is this the case?? i guess it makes sense as this type of terrain is most common in australia and in surrounding countries
how up todate is our equipment? (relatively)

and WTF!!?! the axis!!!! i think not!!! back to school sunshine, learn some world history
from what i have read the aussies have served proudly and with distinction alongside out allies from all over the world. whenever we have been asked to serve,we have and in many cases volunteered to go, before being asked

Our training is considered to be among the top 3-4 nations in the world. Our level of equipment is perfect for what we need, a highly mobile, flexible defence force, remember "speed and aggression", you'll hear that over and over again if you join up.

In terms of variation, we train from Urban scenarios through to desert to jungle. We do arctic training as well. Think how diverse the landscape is in Australia, well we train in it all, as well as doing training exercises in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, America, New Zealand, England etc etc.

As for how up to date our gear is, we have got the top of the range and most recent equipment, bar some items that we've found are so good they don't need to be changed, like our Browning HP's..... battle proven, how many people on here do you see complaining about the Beretta 92s.

As for the armour, we've got ASLAVs, Leopards and now we've got Abrams. We've got Eurocopter Tiger gunships, Hamal and Bofors artillery, Steyr AUG and Minimi f89s... I could go on and on, but you get the idea. When something new and worthwhile comes along, we get it ASAP.

from what i have read the aussies have served proudly and with distinction alongside out allies from all over the world. whenever we have been asked to serve,we have and in many cases volunteered to go, before being asked

We've had a very illustrious military history, from the Boer war through to Iraq today we've served with valour and distinction. And as for battle honours and unit citations, the list just goes on and on. Recipients of the Victoria cross etc, outstanding. My regiment has 11 VC recipients alone, just one small infantry regiment (clearly none of them serving at the moment :p )

Turner said:

*cough* AUSTRIA *cough cough*

wow, that one is a doozy. hey turner...want a good war story? look up chunuk bair

Back