What do you think about officer training????

goaliedude66630

What do you think about officer training?I was wondering if its was better to go through officers training or to just join and work my way up??? i want to know what men in the military are more comfortable with a man out of trainign or a guy thats worked his way up. My grandpa who was in WWII said that he didn't like the officers out of the officer school.

I think only people that want to be an officer should attend the training.

Seriously though. a person that collects experience as enlistee and then transfers to officers training has one advantage over the one that just goes straight into the OCS from college: They know the importance of treating their men fairly, and they know something of their needs. I would reccomend a person to work with in to climb the ladder for that reason.

goaliedude66630 said:
What do you think about officer training?I was wondering if its was better to go through officers training or to just join and work my way up??? i want to know what men in the military are more comfortable with a man out of trainign or a guy thats worked his way up. My grandpa who was in WWII said that he didn't like the officers out of the officer school.

Every officer attends an "officer training" of some sort, whether it be OCS, ROTC, or an Academy.
To me, it doesn't matter a bit what route an officer takes to get their commission, as long as they continue to earn/deserve that commission and their position throughout their careers, you can get chickensh*t officers from any of those paths, it all depends on what they do once they become officers that matters, not how they got there.

It is just about respecting your soldiers when you are in that position that matters. Respect their experiences and not being afraid to ask questions and look to them for answers. After they see that it won't matter how you got there.

its a nitpick but he used no instead on know. Thats it it reads the same just not the right word. But it gets the job done i only used it because its hes first mistake i've seen and he points out all mine so i though that i should do the same.

goaliedude66630 said:
its a nitpick but he used no instead on know. Thats it it reads the same just not the right word. But it gets the job done i only used it because its hes first mistake i've seen and he points out all mine so i though that i should do the same.

You don't want to play this game with me, sweetheart. ;)
If you want some free relationship advice, don't take things so dadgum personal, look at it as somebody trying to help you, rather than trying to make you cry.

Drive on.

(by the way, I used "no" instead of "not," NOT "know ;) )

YOU SHOULD LOOK AT IT THE SAME WHY GOOD LOOKING, I'm a 16 year old kid that is having fun with you thats it. ok??? Thanks honey. Ill be home around 6 and ill have fish for dinner sweety.

Ok, goalie, this is getting out of hand, I don't care if you want to play games while you make a point, but this kind of thing needs to stop.

Drive on.

(if you really have something you want to tell me, use the private messaging system)

I don't know about the US Officer Training, but in the Canadian BOTC (Basic Officer Training Course) every officer is put through the exact same type of training as enlisted personnelle. The only difference is that there's a Leadership module included in BOTC. I personally think that either one is just as effective.

NCdt Steliga said:
I don't know about the US Officer Training, but in the Canadian BOTC (Basic Officer Training Course) every officer is put through the exact same type of training as enlisted personnelle. The only difference is that there's a Leadership module included in BOTC. I personally think that either one is just as effective.

Training doesn't matter. Life on the enlisted side is completely different than life on the officer side. Each bring different experiences. There are going to be bad and good officers no matter what. Being prior enlisted helps a great deal in understanding your men and their perspective, but that doesn't mean you're going to make a good officer. I've seen great officers that never spent a day on the Enlisted side, and bad ones that had tons of NCO time under their belts.

A lot of it comes down to character.

True enough. I've spent 6 years as a Cadet NCO under the command of several really good (and a few really bad) CIC Officers, so I have some idea of what Regular Force NCO's go through when dealing with their officers.

Back