What to tell my mom?

--

December 5th, 2004  
dlippert

Topic: What to tell my mom?

I am 19 and I am just finishing my first semester of college. Right now, I live with my grandpa and go to a community college, and the plan was for me to go another semester here and then transfer to the University of Kansas.

I have made the decision to forego my second semester and go to BMT for the Army National Guard.

Now, with my parents, money isn't that much of an issue. My mom says she would much rather pay for my school and have me stay there, then have me enlist.

I want to join the National Guard, I want to serve my country and endure basic, and if need be I wouild be willing to go on to active duty.

My mom thinks that if I join the NG, I will be shipped off to Iraq and killed. I scored a 98 on my fake-ASVAB that the recruiter gave me, and should score similarly on my real one, meaning I can pick from any MOS. I want to be a lawyer and am going to go to paralegal training.

Now, I am trying to tell my mom that IF I get called up to active duty and IF I get sent to Iraq, I won't be walking around with a gun in my hand (even though I would be willing to do that).

I have explained to her that of that less then 150 Guardsmen and Women have died in Iraq (300 sometihng injured severely), but she seems to ignore this.

She is being a mom, and I appreciate it, but what can I tell her to support me? I believe in what I am doing, and I want to do it. I will come out of BMT a better, more desciplined person.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, a quick question, if I enlist, what are the odds that I get called up to active duty? Am I right in thinking it is about a 50:50 shot?
December 6th, 2004  
A Can of Man

I think it's pretty safe to assume that you'll be in harm's way.
December 6th, 2004  
dougal

Can I have your CD player?
--
December 6th, 2004  
dlippert

nah, but my shoes are up for grabs.
December 6th, 2004  
dougal

What size? Im an 11 UK size
December 6th, 2004  
implicature

There isn't much you can tell the parents they only hear what they want to... no statistics will change her view... tell her that it is what you want to do... maybe she will support you now maybe later... she'll come around
December 6th, 2004  
catalinargonzalez

Often times, standing up for what you believe is not easy. There is no textbook answer for your question. Except if you truly believe the national guard is something you want to do, go for it. Your mother is just going to have to deal with it. I'm assuming you're an adult, right? Then it's your choice not hers. Part of being an adult is learning to cope with the fact that not everyone is going to like you and you aren't going to please everyone with your choices. But as long as you are doing what you think is right, then you're good.
December 6th, 2004  
AFSteliga

All I can say is that it's your choice, not hers. Yes, you probably will be in harms way a lot. However, since you say you want to be a lawyer, I doubt that you'll be in any combat situations. (Not saying that just being sent overseas isn't combat)

Tell her how you feel about it, and I'm sure that she'll come around...eventually.
December 6th, 2004  
03USMC

Food for thought.

Just because you are not in a combat MOS does not mean you won't be exposed to danger and combat.

There is no designated Front Line in this war. There are only places more secure than others.
December 7th, 2004  
Pete031

Do what you want man... I left university after 2 years, because I wasn't satisfied with my life and haven't looked back since... But remember when you join up, even a reserve unit you can get called up to go over and do your job... Think long and hard about what your priorities are... You can always go back to school, and serving your country is unforgettable experience.