What Tank Has the Best Fire Control System?

godofthunder9010

Military technology is always evolving of course, but I'm interested what people's opinions are. What FCS has the best reliable range? Best range of options? The way things are going, first sight - first kill has become more important that the quality of the armor on the tank.

All modern western tanks have can hit a moving target while moving 90% of the time at 3000 meters. I don't think anyone knows anything about the subtle differences in performence, if there are any.

All I know is that the Leopard's FCS is easier to use then the Abrams. You have to remember which ammo you're firing and dump the lead. While the ammo indicator is automatic and there is dynamic lead on the Leopard.

Wish somebody could pull stats on Effective Range. 3000 meters as a rule is great, but I would expect that some systems are going to outperform others since they are not a direct copy of the same design.

godofthunder9010 said:
Wish somebody could pull stats on Effective Range. 3000 meters as a rule is great, but I would expect that some systems are going to outperform others since they are not a direct copy of the same design.

You won't find them, because they're classified.

Merkava 4

"The new fire control system, developed by El Op, includes very advanced features including the capability to acquire and lock onto moving targets, even airborne helicopters, while the tank itself is on the move"

I never heard about that...Dosent make much sens, as tank FC and Aircraft FC are very diffrent...Are you sure that someone dident get confused because of name similarity? The IAF codename for the f15 being Baz, and the Merkava Mk3 FC system name being Baz as well?

I don't have a source to go on, but the Merkava Mk4 having the best FCS would make sense. Then again, Leopard II variants would also be strong contenders. The Challenger and the M1 Abrams too of course.

godofthunder9010 said:
I don't have a source to go on, but the Merkava Mk4 having the best FCS would make sense. Then again, Leopard II variants would also be strong contenders. The Challenger and the M1 Abrams too of course.

im pretty sure that what the merkava has the abrams would have aswell...

IF the M1 has a better FCS. If the Merkava has the better FCS, then Israel may very well keep it to themselves. Probably whisper some hints for improvement at the USA ... maybe, maybe not.

Some of the Army's Bradley fighting vehicles are guided by on-board computers supplied by a subsidiary of Israel's Elbit Systems, Shapir said. U.S. troops riding in the Bradleys might also be protected by armor from Rafael, said Lova Drori, Rafael's director of international marketing.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/world/iraq/2003-03-24-israel-tech_x.htm

its a two-way exchange, israel helps with high tech stuff, america supplies high tech stuff with israeli input in them. and again vice verser

examples of US-Israeli cooperation are shown in there...

Hunter
Arrow missle
MTHEL

all worked on together by israel and U.S

Thinking in terms of making sure the USA doesn't sell the latest and niftiest things to Israel's enemies and vice-versa. Israel's in more of a precarious circumstance. Some nations in the area buy arms from the USA and also have high potential for becoming Israel's enemy in the future. Saudi Arabia for instance. I don't doubt its a 2 way partnership.

saudis arnt the problem, israel would wipe them out faster than in the 6 day war... the problem is the overall arab army....
egypt now has m1a1's, atleast 500, egypt has been an agressor in the past, and i dobut that little worthless paper israel got for the suez will be worth anything in the future if egypt decides to invade with the help of the rest of israels neighbours...
offcourse m1a1 or T-whatever wont matter... egypt's m1a1's will be crushed by israels tanks because of the human factor of war, israel is simply better trained and more organised, but these M1A1's will cause more deaths on IDF side, which isnt good news for the poor guys who burn alive inside a tank from a sabot supplied by US...
i can understand that these military exports make good $ and help US economy, but why egypt? why give them 1.3 billion annually? do they even need it. they are the agressors in the past, and in addition egypt goes against US in the UN all the time, what makes egypt such a great allie that it should be given these weapons...

Back