What is it?

moving0target

It's on the tip of my tongue. The primer system seems so familiar, but I just can't cough it up.

WTF_IS_THIS.jpg
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

Ummmm... WTF is that? Looks like a prototype version of that SALVO shot the the military played with back in the 60s.

Really makes no sense in terms of it's design. It's a primer buring powder in a blank case within the cartridge it's self. The burning powder ignites the powder of the projectile with in turn expands and launches the projectile outside of the barrel. Seems like on gaint CF. It's solves no problem. The primer in the end still ignites the powder.

This might be a round that was designed to launch "bullet trap" rifle grenades. There were 3 types of rifle grenades. The first worked by using the energy of an underpowered fired bullet (as above) to launch the grenade off the end of the barrel. The 2nd type was made to be used with regular ball ammunition. The problem with some of them was that a full powered bullet would go right through the grenade and the warhead, causing a rather large explosion about 2 feet from the firer's head. Not a pretty picture. To avoid this scenario, many armies, including Canada's, where I picked up this tidbit, used the 3rd type, grenades that were fired using an overpowered blank round. The grenade firing procedure with the FN-C1 (FN-FAL) was:
-remove magazine
-clear any loaded bullet
-insert black tipped (or was it a red tip) blank (a real blank would not do the trick)
-reverse the gas plug so that no gas goes into the piston
-place grenade holder on barrel using the bayonet lug
-place grenade on holder
-pull pin
-place butt of rifle against ground and tilt the rifle towards the enemy
-tilt helmeted head so that helmet is between your head and the muzzle, and,
-pull trigger.
at this point there is supposed to be a big kaboom. If the improper round is used, there will be an even bigger kaboom.
The tracer element in the round pictured above would allow the firer to follow the trajectory of the grenade.
It is a possibility, and it does sound good.

Dean.

Last edited:
Is that the Bullet that did JFK in? Looks like it can do all sorts of special things.

A red tip is for Tracer but it looks like that Red was hand panted on, and the last picture is a drawing by hand.

4_3.gif

That's what Tracer rounds used to look like, way back, they are a bit different now.

Since the Round in the middle picture has a blunted nose for use with a Rifle Grenade incorperating a Bullet Trap, if it were me, I'd go with that, and just say the drawing was some sort of Rocket Assist concept for extended range.

the system uses a variation of the high-low preasure system developed by the germans at the end of WWII. The forty MM greande cartridge uses the same method.
the smaller cart exhaustes it's gas into the larger empty case and then the projectile moves. The proj. is pretty much a standard tracer type.

Back