What should I do?

sportsfan

Hey I'm 18 years old and a Junior in high school. I'm interested in joining the military and am more interested in special forces. I'm looking into Navy SEALs, Army Rangers, or Marine Force Recon. I know you have to be in the Marines for something like 3-5 years to go Force Recon, so I'd probably start out Infantry or MP.

I still have a year to go before I could even go to boot camp, so I've been working on exercising. At the start of my workout routine, I can do 35 push ups, 60 sit ups, 9 pull ups, and I can run endlessly. I've been eating a lot of meats, fruits, protein cereals, protein bars, protein drinks, and drinking lots of water and milk in my diet. I have an extremely fast metabolism so it's hard for me to gain weight obviously, so I was told to eat more calories than I burn, which is what I've been doing. My workout routine is supposedly going to have me at 100 push ups in a year so I'm motivated for that one. I have access to a community swimming pool but I've never really used it, and I can only hold my breath for 1 minute. So I suppose I could go there maybe once a week.

I'm most interested in the Navy SEALs and Marine Force Recon. Keeping this routine going, I know "I'll never be ready for what they're going to do to me at BUD/S etc etc." I've heard that too much. But seriously, will I be in good enough shape? How long should I have my breath holding down for BUD/S?

Lets say in a year I'm able to do 90 push ups, 100 sit ups, 20 pull ups, and breath holding for 1:30... Will that be good? If not, how many push ups, sit ups, and pull ups should I have?

Thanks.

100 situps is actually not a lot.
Overall I think you might be okay if you reach your goal. Running is very important.
But for now, just join the branch you want and then see if SF is for you.
Make sure your MOS doesn't restrict you from joining SF.

If you decide to go Army, you can go to basic between your junior and senior year. AIT would be completed after you graduate high school.

There are people on this site that can help you if you are serious about choosing the SOF path.
If that is what you want why not get a SEAL challenge contract or and Opt 40 contract from the start?

If you decide to go Army, you can go to basic between your junior and senior year. AIT would be completed after you graduate high school.

Thats Reserve or National Guard. And you get locked into the MOS needed at whatever drilling unit you are going to.

As far as what you should do. Do what you want. But realize it ain't about cool titles and scare me badges. It's about commitment, sweat blood, and tears

Last edited:
Lets say in a year I'm able to do 90 push ups, 100 sit ups, 20 pull ups, and breath holding for 1:30... Will that be good? If not, how many push ups, sit ups, and pull ups should I have?

I can only speak for officer accession, but the numbers you have there are merely adequate, not competitive. You need to be able to at the very least max out the Navy standards for pushups and situps, which from 17-19 years old are 109 situps and 92 pushups. 20 pushups is a minimum. Breath holding is something you won't ever be tested on until BUD/S.

Just as a metric for you, my best PFA is 109 sit, 92 push, and a 9:35 run, and I want to be a SWO, not a SEAL. Our best candidate for BUD/S this year did the 500 yard swim in around 8 minutes or so, did 140 situps, about 110 pushups, ran a 9:30ish run, and did 27 pullups, and was a non-select.

I'm not trying to scare you, but don't ever train to a minimum, because there isn't one. Just be the best you can be.

I agree with Commander, thinking minimum wont get ya far. I made it a goal to always max the pt test at the 17-19 age group the whole time i was in..I got out when i was 31. I always did, and i was just a leg mp..:wink:... Make sure your feet are tough too. All those guys will tell you that soft feet will take you down quicker than anything. On the upshot you sound pretty fit compared to most kids today and you seem to have a good attitude. Keep plugging away. Make sure you can run.. Even in my 30's my slowest 2 mile run was under 10:30. At your age I was under 9 min. for the run...If you wanna be a seal you need to be comfortable in cold water. real comfortable. What ever you do you better want it bad, and for all the right reasons.. .Dont worry about what you weigh.. muscle to weight ratio is more important.. I think most of the guys here will tell you alot of wirey guys make it through SOF courses. I was 5'10, 150. and did real well at SFAS until i got explosive diarhea..lol

You can go to recon training right out of bootcamp if you want as long as you qualify physically. I think Recon would be best for you because Recon is like Navy Seals but you dont want to be in the ****ing Navy.

You can go to recon training right out of bootcamp if you want as long as you qualify physically. I think Recon would be best for you because Recon is like Navy Seals but you dont want to be in the ****ing Navy.

Tell ya what there High Speed. I'm having a real problem believing that you are ........

A. A Gunnery Sgt

B. A Marine

C. Recon Qualed and serving in a Recon Unit.

So eithier you fill in your profile to include

MOS Identifiers (all of them including your primary and your SNCO )

Your schools (all of them)

Your B MOS's (all of them)

See it just appears to me that a Gysgt a Recon billet would understand enough to know that the mission of both Recon and NSW are different that the training is different.

Further if you are who you proport to be, and not some 15 year old air softer dickin around you would not be talking smack about NSW operators.

So eithier come clean and fill out your profile.......or hit the hatch.

So now the garbage has been taken out, is this guy still recieving?

If so make yourself known.
KJ.

Back