What ROTC should I enroll in?

What U.S. military branch do you think that I should join?

• Army

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Navy

• Marine Corps

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Air Force

• Coast Guard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iHeadBanger

Hey everyone, thanks for reading. I'm new to this forum and it seems really cool. :-D I thought this would be a good place to ask a few questions that I've not had resolved for a few months.

Ever since I was in the 4th grade, I have known that I wanted to join the military (9/11 attacks traumatized me). I'm constantly unsure of what branch I want to go to. Earlier this year, I wanted to join the Air Force, then the Army, then the Air Force again, then the Navy for a day, and then the Army again, then last week was the Navy, and now it's the Marine Corps. I know that I want to attend a senior military college (I have serious leadership skill issues) and do four years of ROTC, and graduate as an officer. I know that I want to be a pilot in the military, and work with computers if I can't get into flight school. I know that I want to make a career of out the military, staying in for the next 30-50 years of my life, someday retiring as an O-6 or higher. I don't really want to have to change branches (Army Blue to Green program, etc.)

I have absolutely no problem being at sea for months at a time (father and grandfather used to live on a boat, and I guess it's in my blood). I don't want to come in to work at 9 to a cubicle and then sit at a desk until 5. I know that I want to fly fixed-wing aircraft. I was admitted to Norwich University (and their Corps of Cadets) for Computer Security and Information Assurance, and in the military, I want to work with computers and networks as well, if I don't get the opportunity to fly. I was also thinking about joining one of the reserves while I'm in ROTC as an E-3 (4 years of Army JROTC under my belt), and then going active as an officer when I graduate. The Air Force is now not really appealing to me (seems pretty civilian like to me :???:). I know the final decision is my own choice, but I just wanted to see what advice and feedback I can get.

Thank you very much for reading all that to the end. Glad to find an active military forum where I can stay and chat and learn.:salute:I know that was a lot of questions and whatnot, and I understand if I don't get any feedback. :p

Edit:
P.S.
I also scored a 77 on my latest ASVAB. Should I make use of that and the enlistment promotions with my 4 years of JROTC, and just enlist in the military, and become an officer later?

Last edited:
I've narrowed it down to:

Army - largest branch, been with Army JROTC for years, can fly as enlisted and learn to fly fixed wing & rotary wing, ACU/Army Class A are awesome, MOS guarantee

Navy - I love the ocean, NWU and all Naval uniforms are amazing, traveling a definite plus, they usually fly fixed wing aircraft, seems to have better training than the Air Force,

Marine Corps - definitely the prestige, Marine Corps Combat Aviation, uniforms are great as well, fly the Osprey, leadership skills that I can gain (I have serious leadership issues), "Once a Marine, Always a Marine"

I'm currently serving as a Gold Bar Recruiter and might be able to clear some things up about the Army.

1. Army aviation is almost exclusively rotary winged aircraft. So if your heart is set on fixed winged, I might suggest one of the other three branches.

2. As an officer, your respective field is not guaranteed. Within ROTC there is an order of merit list that is compiled between your 3rd and 4th year of ROTC. This list is compiled by your GPA in college, APFT score, Primary Military instructor evaluation, your leadership evaluation at advanced camp, and few other areas. Before you go to the advanced camp you request what branch you want from 1 to 16. The top 10% of the OML ar guaranteed their first choice(aviation is one of the most requested branches and is therefore very competive). If you place in the top 20% the you are guaranteed one of your top three choices. After that, it's need of the army.

3. Going enlisted and then going officer later is also a choice. That's the route I took and I'm glad I did. The problem is, had I just gone to college right out of high school and become an officer right off the bat I would certainly be a senior captain by now instead of just a 2nd Lieutenant. Not to mention that things don't always go according to plan and you may never get the oppurtunity to go officer later...basically...life happens and your situation 4-5 or 10 years down the road may not facililtate an easy transition to the officer corps.

Finally, if you have the oppurtunity NOW then why not take it. I've said this countless times to kids that have asked similar questions to me, the military will always be there, the opputunity to go to college may not.

I'm currently serving as a Gold Bar Recruiter and might be able to clear some things up about the Army.

1. Army aviation is almost exclusively rotary winged aircraft. So if your heart is set on fixed winged, I might suggest one of the other three branches.

2. As an officer, your respective field is not guaranteed. Within ROTC there is an order of merit list that is compiled between your 3rd and 4th year of ROTC. This list is compiled by your GPA in college, APFT score, Primary Military instructor evaluation, your leadership evaluation at advanced camp, and few other areas. Before you go to the advanced camp you request what branch you want from 1 to 16. The top 10% of the OML ar guaranteed their first choice(aviation is one of the most requested branches and is therefore very competive). If you place in the top 20% the you are guaranteed one of your top three choices. After that, it's need of the army.

3. Going enlisted and then going officer later is also a choice. That's the route I took and I'm glad I did. The problem is, had I just gone to college right out of high school and become an officer right off the bat I would certainly be a senior captain by now instead of just a 2nd Lieutenant. Not to mention that things don't always go according to plan and you may never get the oppurtunity to go officer later...basically...life happens and your situation 4-5 or 10 years down the road may not facililtate an easy transition to the officer corps.

Finally, if you have the oppurtunity NOW then why not take it. I've said this countless times to kids that have asked similar questions to me, the military will always be there, the opputunity to go to college may not.

Thank you very much for helping me out. I'll just stay in ROTC, and do the best I can with leadership training and whatnot. It's either Navy ROTC or the Marine option. Marine aviation seems just as good as Navy aviation, and now I'm looking into their Communications fields for computer networking and whatnot, just in case I don't get into flight training. Again, thank you. :-D

Thank you very much for helping me out. I'll just stay in ROTC, and do the best I can with leadership training and whatnot. It's either Navy ROTC or the Marine option. Marine aviation seems just as good as Navy aviation, and now I'm looking into their Communications fields for computer networking and whatnot, just in case I don't get into flight training. Again, thank you. :-D

I'm currently in the thick of Navy ROTC; if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I've narrowed it down to:

Army - largest branch, been with Army JROTC for years, can fly as enlisted and learn to fly fixed wing & rotary wing, ACU/Army Class A are awesome, MOS guarantee

Navy - I love the ocean, NWU and all Naval uniforms are amazing, traveling a definite plus, they usually fly fixed wing aircraft, seems to have better training than the Air Force,

Marine Corps - definitely the prestige, Marine Corps Combat Aviation, uniforms are great as well, fly the Osprey, leadership skills that I can gain (I have serious leadership issues), "Once a Marine, Always a Marine"

Uniforms factor into your branch choice? Really?

Back