What PMCs actually do?

Pvt. Parts

Hey y'all !

After browsing and reading rather interesting threads on this forum I have one big question in my mind: What the PMCs actually do in real life? People talk about truck loading, mining and what not. This guy is confused!

Many threads seem to consist of people willing to join these... factions? I do understand that these somewhat romanticed (word?) companies can lure dreamy victims into service, but what this service actually consist of?
Since the PMCs seem to want experienced military/law enforcement personnel, there must be somekind of security jobs for them? Or are they usually working in the shadows?
This question actually rose into my mind the first time I read about the incident where 3 blackwater operatives were murdered in some town, if I remember correctly?

Is the job at a PMC some daily, boring chore which you could do in a civilian life with better pay, or is it some black ops style **** where you are sent to some near-suicide mission where the official organizations, like UN, cannot go with their army?

Thank you in advance, lads! :salute:

A pmc is more or less an army without a nation, willing to fight for whoever will pay the most. As in any army, there are many jobs, what you call boring and exciting. Yes, they do go where the UN and other sovereign nations armed forces can't. Look up executive outcomes operations in central africa and you will see what I mean.

Hey y'all !

After browsing and reading rather interesting threads on this forum I have one big question in my mind: What the PMCs actually do in real life? People talk about truck loading, mining and what not. This guy is confused!

Many threads seem to consist of people willing to join these... factions? I do understand that these somewhat romanticed (word?) companies can lure dreamy victims into service, but what this service actually consist of?
Since the PMCs seem to want experienced military/law enforcement personnel, there must be somekind of security jobs for them? Or are they usually working in the shadows?
This question actually rose into my mind the first time I read about the incident where 3 blackwater operatives were murdered in some town, if I remember correctly?

Is the job at a PMC some daily, boring chore which you could do in a civilian life with better pay, or is it some black ops style **** where you are sent to some near-suicide mission where the official organizations, like UN, cannot go with their army?

Thank you in advance, lads! :salute:

Hyvää päivää,

There are problems to categorize what PMCs are and what they are doing. They have more of an ad hoc approach to a specific contract or a job they are hired to do. They span from supply duties to more combat roles. I would say the latest five years a more analytic kind of companies have emerged, they are working more closely to the State Department or the Department of the Defense, in an American context. Although this kind of PMCs are active all over Europe as well. There is also security kind of companies active, mostly in South America and Central America, these companies recruit mostly ex-law enforcement personnel, such as former DEA and FBI agents, some of them are specialized to deal with kidnappings and establish effective anti drug activities.

Ps. the incident you are referring to is Fallujah, when a group of Blackwater personnel drove into a place they shouldn't.

A good reading would be; Corporate Warriors by P.W. Singer

A pmc is more or less an army without a nation, willing to fight for whoever will pay the most. As in any army, there are many jobs, what you call boring and exciting. Yes, they do go where the UN and other sovereign nations armed forces can't. Look up executive outcomes operations in central africa and you will see what I mean.

Thank you Hindstrike, it was quite interesting read about EO in Wikipedia. It did clarify a lot about the actions of PMCs in violent territories. What amazed me was the equipment; 3 helicotpers, LAV and MBT? 747 for Medevacs?

Dude, if EO had this kind of equipment in the late 90's, what is an "adequate" arsenal for a modern day combat oriented PMC? I do understand that they might not be visible anywhere on their records, but some witnessed examples would be appreciated.

There are problems to categorize what PMCs are and what they are doing. They have more of an ad hoc approach to a specific contract or a job they are hired to do. They span from supply duties to more combat roles. I would say the latest five years a more analytic kind of companies have emerged, they are working more closely to the State Department or the Department of the Defense, in an American context. Although this kind of PMCs are active all over Europe as well. There is also security kind of companies active, mostly in South America and Central America, these companies recruit mostly ex-law enforcement personnel, such as former DEA and FBI agents, some of them are specialized to deal with kidnappings and establish effective anti drug activities.

Tack så mycket!

I see, very enlightening. It seems like the concept of PMC can go a far way these days. From advisor jobs to a paramilitary police force. And I might have to take a look at that book you suggested. Just ordered "One Bullet Away" and "Joker One" so it might take a while, though! ;)

The EO article put me thinking that are there any recorded cases about PMC forces engaging modern western armies in combat or vice versa? And since it seems that PMCs can harness the power of mobilized army, how is the gear of their infantry forces? Is it naturally better than standard issued gear from, say, USMC?

Thank you for your answers this far, more will be appreciated!

Colonel Callan real name Kostas Giorgiou springs to mind, a Greek Cypriot who joined the Parachute Regiment, held up a post office in Northern Ireland, dishonourably discharged. In 1976 he ended up as the so called CO for mercs in Angola. He was a raving nut case, literally. He ended up in front of a firing squad.

Last edited:
Back