What pistol does the U.S. use?

The US military used the Colt .45 model 1911 for ages, but it has (fairly recently) been replaced by the Beretta M9. (9mm, 15 round magazine.)

I remember this being discussed before, but I don't remember what was said. Does an officer have to go through special proceedures if he wants to use something non-standard? Lets say I'm an officer and want to use a Desert Eagle 50.

webs said:
are we using the Colt 45 or are we using the 9mm Glock or is it something else?

The US military uses a plethera of hand guns.

SIG228 (Some AF units)
Colt 1911 (CAG-Delta)
Beretta (Main hand gun, issue to normal units)
USP (SOF)

Again, the main pistol you will see though is the 9mm Beretta. It is the standard pistol in use.

Just remembered. S&W produced a pistol nicknamed the hushpuppy which was/is used by the SEALs.

c/LtCdr said:
Then that's too bad. No personal weapons are allowed on the battlefield period...unless u wear stars.
So only a Brigadeer General or higher rank, or a Special Opperations (I would think) can specify what sidearm they carry?

Not always true, in my last unit, MPs, all the side arms were Beretta 9 mm pistols except one. A CW4 in the unit had a Colt 45 he used and no one had any issues with it.

S&W Model 39 or for SEAL use it was the Mk 22 Mod 0 it is no longer used (or if it is it's so reare it's not worth talking about) Suppressor technology of today has FAR surpassed the Mk 22 Mod 0.

e=mc2 said:
webs said:
are we using the Colt 45 or are we using the 9mm Glock or is it something else?

The US military uses a plethera of hand guns.

SIG228 (Some AF units)
Colt 1911 (CAG-Delta)
Beretta (Main hand gun, issue to normal units)
USP (SOF)

Again, the main pistol you will see though is the 9mm Beretta. It is the standard pistol in use.

Just remembered. S&W produced a pistol nicknamed the hushpuppy which was/is used by the SEALs.

Delta210 said:
Not always true, in my last unit, MPs, all the side arms were Beretta 9 mm pistols except one. A CW4 in the unit had a Colt 45 he used and no one had any issues with it.

You had to be in during the changeover to the M9, I had my M1911 until '87 and I know many of the senior NCO's and Gunner's kept theirs longer. I didn't like the change, but got used to it and liked the idea of the extra rounds..

It seemed to take forever to transition to the M-9. I remember hearing about it in boot camp in 84. I saw my first one around 86 and I believe they began issuing them in the 1st MARDIV around mid 87.

Back